TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 02-13-2003, 12:57 AM
TinyRC Newbie

jus got my mid and need some help

I just got my mid in the mail today and decided to put it together. Looks like a pretty well designed kit except for some little things that I thought they could have done to make it more durable. For example more bind screws and nuts instead of some of those self tapping screws would have been nice. Also they really shoulda considered using more alum. in their kit, cuz the plastic seems a bit soft and flimsy. I mean the miniz's plastic is ten times better than the stuff the mid is made outta. I guess thats what gpm hopups are here for.

Neways I pretty much finished the assembly except for putting in all the electronics. It seems if I wanna use the reciever that came with the airtronics mx-3 with the hitec hs81mg with the s2000 wheelbase, I'm gonna have to stack the reciever on top of my spy esc. So my question is will this cause ne glitching to occur?? The spy manual says to keep the reciever as far away to the servo, esc, motor, and wiring as possible, but with the limited space for electronics in the mid there is no way to achieve this.

My second question is you peeps that already own a mid, and it is how durable is the mid in your opinion?? Ne broken plastic parts yet? Also is the friction shock on the rear of the mid is crooked on mine, is it on yours???

Also of note is the fitment of the 180 motors is tighter than I expected. I bought the TO elite stock motor and I had to bend all the caps and put the rear axle to its widest setting just so nothing is gonna rub on the rear left tire. So do you guys running 180 motors in your mid have the same experience or am I missing something??

Sorry for the long winded and noobish questions but I'm just anxious to get it running.

Thanks

Wes

p.s. TinyRC did you get my email asking about hopups for the mid, cause its been a couple of days and I hadn't heard back from ya
Old 02-13-2003, 05:26 AM

Hi wewu,

Most of the screws are fine. The only screws I think that have to be replaced are the ones that connect the suspension plate to the chassis. Replace them with longer screws because the stock ones are too short in my opinion -- they could come off. Regarding more bind screws and nuts, that's one of the good things about the Mid, you could if you wanted to. That's something you can't say about the Mini-Z.

The plastic is actually better than the brittle ones used on the Mini-Z. It's less prone to stripped holes and cracking. I haven't broken a plastic piece yet. Once you put your electronics in, the Mid will be "stiffer" and flex from having a bare chassis will disappear. And yes, I am looking forward to those GPM parts.

I mounted my Spy over the receiver and haven't had problems. I'm using a KO KR297Z RX on one of my Mids and a Novak XXL in the other with neither one experiencing glitches. Something I can't say again about the Mini-Z. Guess there's something to be said about using an FM system. Check http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthr...?threadid=6814 for pics.

The weak part in the design is the suspension plate. I broke it only after a couple of runs. I think it's too soft so I replaced it with CF plate. The mid is very durable. After I installed the servo saver, I could run it without the body. Try doing that with a Mini-Z (bye bye servo gear). Speaking of bodies, choose from the thousands of 1/24 scale bodies available out there and I'm sure you'll find one that will give you enough space even for that huge Airtronics receiver your using.

After driving your Mid, believe me, you'll wonder how you put up with the Mini-Zs handling, glitching, and broken servo gears. This car is superior out of the box. Recommended hop-ups are ball bearings, a ball diff, servo saver, stiffer suspension plate, faster motor, and smaller radio equipment .

Haven't tried a 180 yet and maybe your friction shock looks crooked because the spring isn't centered on the shaft.

Hope that helped. Enjoy your Mid!
Old 02-14-2003, 06:06 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Thanks for the tips Donut!!

I also realized y my shock was crooked. It turns out in my rush to assemble it I put the h-bar on the wrong way. I sorted it all out and finally got all the electronics in. I think I'm gonna have to go for a novak XXl reciever sometime in the future, much smaller than the airtronics one I have rite now. Cuz its a shame having to hide the spy under my reciever.

Also Donut are the tierods used in your pics the frt side tierods or the sp tierods?? I wanna be able to move my servo up a bit for more space in the back, and love the way yours is setup.

Wes
Old 02-14-2003, 08:35 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Hi wewu,

Where u order the Mid from...
Old 02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
TinyRC Newbie

I got mine from microrcracing
Old 02-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Re: jus got my mid and need some help

Quote:
Originally posted by wewu
p.s. TinyRC did you get my email asking about hopups for the mid, cause its been a couple of days and I hadn't heard back from ya
Weird - I didn't - can you re-send, or post under the Customer Support section? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wewu

Also Donut are the tierods used in your pics the frt side tierods or the sp tierods?? I wanna be able to move my servo up a bit for more space in the back, and love the way yours is setup.
Those are the sp tierods. You can move your servo up front using the stock rods. Just connect all the rod ends to the front side of the steering knuckles.