TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 08-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
My 'Pics N Movies' page is up...

Just got my Digital Camcorder gear and setup working in an orderly fashion...Which means my 'Pics n Movies' page is finally up.

My first video up for viewing is the DigiQ in action. Just head to the 'Pics N Movies' link on my webpage (in sig).

Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2002, 03:36 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Cool!

Cool movie, Namuna, make some more when you have the time.

How big is the width of the track you have in that movie anyway?

DraKZ
Old 08-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Hulk smash!

The track width is about 8"

...Which is too small, my next track will have lanes AT LEAST 10" (optimally 12").

I've already bought some sheets of Foam Board, but the surface is too slick so I've got to find a more appropriate surface
Old 08-11-2002, 04:43 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Have you tried the Styrene Lighting Panel like that one guy at the **********s.com forum?

I am also wondering what does foam board look like, could you provide a link to what they look like?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Hulk smash!

Not the greatest picture, but here's a corner view of a piece of Foam Board...I picked up 8, 20" x 30" x 3/16" for $0.99 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foamboard.jpg (2.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 12:59 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Cool, thanks for the picture. That sounds interesting!

Please update us when you get your track done. Maybe a movie of it would be great.

As for me, I'm messing around with the Styrene Lighting Panel, haven't received my Special Controller yet for my DigiQ, so not sure how well it runs on it yet.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Hulk smash!

Well, $8 down the drain. Foam Board SUCKS as a road surface, WAY TOO slippery. Not to mention the gaps (even using tape) between connecting boards is like big potholes causing the cars to skip around a little.

My Bits' steering trim lever (underneath the car) keeps getting whacked going through the 'potholes' and the front alignment keeps getting out of whack.

Next try is to head to a cloth store and buy a few yards of Vinyl. I hear tires get super grip on it (maybe too much). I might use the Foam Board as underlying padding or something.

And lastly, I'm thinking of buying some 'Tar Paper' aka Asphalt Felt. This stuff is super cheap, at my local Home Depot I can buy a 36"wide X 100' long roll for like $12. This stuff is basically the REAL DEAL, it's just like being on the road...Only problem is it's TAR paper, not exactly the cleanest stuff to be playing with in your house (or in my case, a Condo).
Old 08-12-2002, 10:53 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Sorry to hear that the foam board isn't working out right for you.

Let me know how you are doing with the vinyl and the 'Tar Paper,' maybe take a picture when you are done with your testing track. It sounds interesting!

Good luck with it, by the way, have you tried scotch taping the ridge in between foam board, maybe that will help a bit.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Administrator

The tar paper works well for Mini-Z scale tracks; let us know how it works out for you. Hope you're ready for the mess that comes with it!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:49 AM
Hulk smash!

Quote:
Originally posted by DraKZ
Good luck with it, by the way, have you tried scotch taping the ridge in between foam board, maybe that will help a bit.
Yup, lots of scotch tape. The cars feel even the tiniest gaps, so it only helped a little.

Well, I bought some Vinyl last night. At 54" wide, it cost me $4.99 per yard (I picked up about 2 1/2 yards). Got it home, laid it on top of the Foam Board (for some sturdiness, instead of sitting on top of carpet). Much, MUCH better! Great grip, but you can still drift at speed. I love this stuff!

I'm gonna pass on the Tar/Asphalt paper and stick with the Vinyl. Next step is to get a big piece of thin plywood as the underlying support. The vinyl is still like clothing material, which is to say when laid out it has lumps and creases. I need to stretch it taught to get a nice flat surface. Foam Board is too weak to staple the vinyl to, so the plywood is needed.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:29 PM
TinyRC Newbie

That's good to hear!

Post some pictures when you are done with it.

I'm interested in seeing the end result.