TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-16-2002, 04:16 PM
i've no idea whats goinon

Question has anyone taken apart a snap motor

I was heavy into 1/10 rc cars. Bebuilding and modifying motors etc. I thought I would try my hand at the snap motor. Seeing the size I ruled out rewireing the armature.I'm not a micro sergeon, but I thought I might be able to advance the timming a bit. But no luck. I made the tiny plastic endbell so I could turn it a bit, seemed to have no effect It was only the crappy 1.0 zz motor. On a good note it STILL RUNS But I don't recommend opening the motors, just tooooo darn small to hop up. Has anyone else tried this, with any luck?
Old 11-17-2002, 07:55 AM
TinyRC Pro

Haven't tried it. But could you post a few pictures of what the motors look like inside? Maybe best if you put it on a scanner. I'd like to see the rotor, the magnets, the endbell with brushes etc.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:20 AM

Sorry Supershot right now I have no way to put pics on line, but I'm working on it. I'll do my best to describe it. The rotor or armature is hollow and wound with wire thinner than a human hair. The magnets go inside the rotor, they are attached to the middle of the metal case. The shaft goes through the magnets, the armure goes between the metal case and the magnets. The brushes are like two split hairs. I think it's ailen technology . If you can spare one take it apart you'll amazed as I was. NOTE don't squeeze the armature remember it's hollow and VERY fragil. I hope that helps it's really hard to describe.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:37 AM
TinyRC Pro

Well, you just explained about any electrical motor I've ever taken apart. What I'd like to see is the specific details of the bit motors.

Oh well, they aren't that expensive, I'll just have to pull apart a working one some day.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:03 AM
TinyRC Pro

Here's some pretty good pictures of a bigger motor:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/inside-motor.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM

SuperShot I checked that link;very good buy the way. The BIG difference is that the armature is HOLLOW and the magnets go inside it, not on the outside attached to the can like in the picture on that link.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:26 PM
TinyRC Pro

Interesting,

I really need to pull one of those apart and get my scanner up from the basement again. (My digital camera is not too good at closeups). I've got some motors in the mail from Tiny, so I'll rip a 1.0 up as soon as the new ones come in.