TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Tire Testing

I have not had much time to dedicate to RC lately but I did want to share some quick testing results of Kyosho, PN, and Atomic tires.

To start, RealTracks and the dNaNo tires must be kept clean. Any amount off dust or debris on the tires will significantly affect performance. A damp cloth is all that is required to wipe Down RealTracks. A lightly moistened paper towel or cloth placed flat on a hard surface works well to clean the tires. If you are running FlatTracks it is important to keep your runoff area clean as well. We now use roll up plastic grass looking indoor outdoor carpet and it works great. It has no fibers, does not hold dust on the surface, and you pay a bigger penalty in speed when you go off the track. The stock front dNaNo tires are very hard, usually a 50. They help tame a twitchy low mass car. While the stock tires perform well on a small tight course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDVUqyGsq-Y
,at higher speeds they will under steer on RealTracks when they get dusty. I have tested almost every tire combination of PN, Atomic, and Kyosho with the expected positive results. All of the basic principles apply to making the car handle neutral or slight under steer if you prefer. There is nothing new here. Every car will take a slightly different combo. PN racing offers the widest range of performance to dial in your car on RealTracks. Kyosho does not go soft enough on the front (50, 60) So they will under steer, Atomic does not go hard enough on the front,(25,35) so they will always over steer, even with the softest (08) on the rear. PN has the best offering with (45,55,65) on the fronts and (08,15,20) on the rear. With the Mazda 727 and Porsche 962 a PN 65 front and 08 rear is a good starting place. The car is almost neutral. Under rapid deceleration entering a corning it will slightly over steer with slight rear wheel hop. When accelerating out of corner it will slightly under steer, providing you do not break traction with to much throttle. The PN and Atomic tires appear to have a similar more sticky composition as compared to the less sticky Kyoshos. I thought these sticky tires would be more susceptible to dust, but as it turned out after I intentionally got them dusty the performance was only marginally affected. The PN’s are similar to the kyosho with regard to thickness from wheel to the road surface as compared to the flatter and thinner Atomics. Be sure to wear your glasses when you put the PN's on the rim. I did not initially notice the relief cut in the inside of one edge of the PN tires that allows the tire to slide over the raised inner portion of the rim. They fit very nicely when properly installed. I will take some videos of some track times and skid pad testing in the future.

In conclussion a good starting selection would be PN 55 and 65 fronts with 08 and 15 rears.

Good Luck and please share your results.

Thanks

Last edited by RealTracks; 08-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
very informative. i'll by those pn tires this weekend.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Tire test update

I had some time last night to put more laps on the PN's and observed the following.

1) Contrary to my previous observations, the PN's tires are equally susceptible to dust and debris. I set up a FlatTrack directly on an oriental rug that receives lot of foot traffic and holds dust and dirt on the surface. I was pushing the car hard and ended up off course often and grip on the front tires deteriorated after about 50 laps. After pitting the car, all it took was a few light pulls diagonally across a lightly moistened paper towel and your grip is right back. It is about a 5 second pit.
2) The more I drive the PN tires the more I like them. Right out of the packaging the PN’s initially seemed to grab the track inconsistency. At times the car would either turn in or spin unexpectedly in a turn. After a few hundred laps this has completely disappeared. I can only surmise this is due to the “lapping” or “smoothing” (for lack of a better term this morning) of the tires to the track. I am sure Lorne could probably explain it better than I can.
3) Now that the tires have worn in slightly the car has developed slightly more push. I still have the 65/08 tire combo so I will be moving to the 55/08 and also trying a 65/15 combo.

PN really did a great job with there wide selection of tires. They allow better track tuning options then any other manufacturer.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Kyosho Tires

We just finished doing some laps with dnanos at BRFR hobbies on RealTracks. Cecilio (AKA "Mr Bigg") said that he uses simple green cleaner on his tires and that it worked well. So today I cleaned the track with a 20/80 solution and wiped it off with a towel. I was amazed at the difference it made. A car with hard fronts that would push too much in the corners was carving nicely. I threw on a set of kyosho 20Fs and it stuck like glue. Cecilio ran his new skyline and Ferrari FSX with stock tires and they performed very well.
Thanks for the suggestion Cecilio! I am going to do a few more tests with it and then change the RealTracks literature to recommend it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to MRB1GG Send a message via Yahoo to MRB1GG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTracks View Post
We just finished doing some laps with dnanos at BRFR hobbies on RealTracks. Cecilio (AKA "Mr Bigg") said that he uses simple green cleaner on his tires and that it worked well. So today I cleaned the track with a 20/80 solution and wiped it off with a towel. I was amazed at the difference it made. A car with hard fronts that would push too much in the corners was carving nicely. I threw on a set of kyosho 20Fs and it stuck like glue. Cecilio ran his new skyline and Ferrari FSX with stock tires and they performed very well.
Thanks for the suggestion Cecilio! I am going to do a few more tests with it and then change the RealTracks literature to recommend it.
thank you very much miles for letting me run the track with you. I definatley enjoyed it very much , so much that i purchased my own .its a very realistic track meaning that you have to drive the car not just run wide open constantly ,also the traction on the track was a whole lot more than i anticipated you don't have to brake hard on the turn but can let off the throttle a bit and pick a line and slowly you find yourself getting faster . i would definatley recommend this track to everyone . great work miles and thank you once again for the opportunity to test drive your track
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
glowster21

I finally got to set up my Track last night.....FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Miles, you are 'DA MAN!!!! I may never leave the house again!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM

Thumbs up

I agree miles has done a great job with realtracks ...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks guys,
I am glad you like it. Realtracks is very popular in Europe but interest has been slow to catch on here in the U.S.. Traction was a issue before the current variety of tire manufacturers and compounds were available. Thanks to Celcelio's Simple Green idea the traction is the best yet. While the Simple Green works great on the track, I have found to clean the tires the tape method works best with the simple green surface. The surface can be slick until the simple green completely dries which seems to take about 10 min. Use a old towel rather than paper towels. The paper towels will shred and leave particles on the surface.

Thanks Again,
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
so you recommend i do this to my track? i know previously you suggested i not do a surface application.

if you like the tape for cleaning tires, we had an old trick for mini-z's where we taped down some packing tape to the track in a pit lane or to the outside so we can driver over it to clean the tires. this is an even simpler thing to do fof the dnano due to it's small size. one strip about twice the length of the dnano is fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Hey Arch,
t was good to hear from you yesterday. I did not think it was necessary to apply the spray tool dip. That would fundamentally change the track with unexpected consequences. Simple Green is just a cleaner. Give it a good heavy spraying the first time to help pull the dust out of the track texture and use a small towel. I had some issues with the PN tires when they become slightly worn that I will post separately. You can also use this guardrail system on your Track Pack by just taking out the short sections of track and closing things up. The shop is closed today but I will post a quick DIY on how to make these guardrails.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Your right about putting the tape down Arch, I have a pit lane set up ready to drop in on the outside of the large radius curve. I had to glue a smooth section of ABS for the tape to stick to it. Like you said, it works great, drive in-drive out with clean tires. I will take some pics tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 AM

The new kyosho softer compounds are performing the best yet. They are actualy easier to tune to the track than the PN tires. If you go to soft you can end up with traction roll on the sedans. In this video You can see Frank with his white skyline and stock tires performing very well. Ralphs yellow NASCAR has go carrera slot car tires slid over the stck dNaNo rims. I think that MRB1GGs red skyline with stock tire also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9vS40ggbo

Frank and Cecilio, if you are out there, what was that tire combo?
Ralph, you should post some close ups of your rear tire set-up

We would like to here some thoughts and feedback in this thread from from those of you that have used RealTracks with the new tires.

Miles,
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Talking

Frank and Cecilio, if you are out there, what was that tire combo?
Ralph, you should post some close ups of your rear tire set-up

We would like to here some thoughts and feedback in this thread from from those of you that have used RealTracks with the new tires.

Miles,

hey miles on the lancer i was running stock rears and 40's on the front i dont know if many people know this but the dnanos come with 50's up front and 10's on the rear stock so if you go with 40's up front you are pretty much set as far as traction on my skyline i had the stockers all around when i went to 20s up front i traction rolled on the turns .....hope that helped