TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 09-24-2002, 12:27 AM
SPEED IS GOOD

Arrow Question about fullsize wheels set Mod..?

Hey QFM, i love the site......great mods there. I have a question though that i've been tryin to answer myself, but can't quite get it. I have a set of clone wheels right here ready to go, and i've already destroyed another set (i'm bad at drilling small holes) well my question is about the rim/wheel that has the little "spikes" that go into the gear. Its the wheel that was on the gear side of the axle. I don't know what i can use as a spacer and/or if i should take the spikes out by dremeling or whatever. I was also wondering about the little nub on the outside of the wheel. The rear wheels are wider that the front wheels so with that little nub on there the pin wont go out all thw way. Am i supposed to dremel that? Well any pointers or tips would be great. Thanks QFM!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:53 AM
Moderator - Modifier

The little pins that stick out of the rim to secure the gearing should not affect your steering, but for aesthetics, you can use an exacto to slice em right off.

I used two machine washers for spacers to even out the rims when mounting on the front axle pins.

The nubs do not need to be removed. Doing so will remove the chrome finish of the rim. Instead simply drill down into the center of the nub all the way through and mount just like that. Your front axle pins are long enough to accomodate these nubs.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:30 PM
SPEED IS GOOD

Thanks for the reply QFM that helped.......but i do have one more question...... on the wheel that is on the opposite side of the gear should i take a dremel and dremel down the inside of the wheel where the axle goes into...it seams much longer and on the stock front wheel that inner part of the wheel is flush with the outter part of the wheel. I hope you understand what i'm trying to say here but thatnks again QFM!!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Moderator - Modifier

I know what you are talking about. The spacers (washers) are applied to the gear rim (flush side) to make it even with the rim opposite the gear. If you cut the builtin spacer on the rim that is opposite the gears, then you no longer need the washers for the gear rim. But be advised, the reason I did not cut off the extra axle spacer on the rim opposite the gear is because when you transfer them to the front, they would not have been flush with the body set I was using.

Old 09-25-2002, 02:25 AM
SPEED IS GOOD

WOuldn't leaving the spacer on the opposite rim make the rim stick out further than the stock front wheels?? And if i did cut it off i think that the gearside wheel would still need a spacer, because if i cut out the spikes then the wheel would sit to far in and end up rubbing the chassis......am i right or am i understanding this correctly?? BUT THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT HELP!!!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Moderator - Modifier

I think the amount you decide to cut off or shave off really depends on the body you plan to use. I did the full size mod on 2 cars, the celica and Toyota BB. Depending on how wide the flares are on the front well of the body will most accurately determine how much you are required to shave off. Hope this helps.