TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Buggy or truck?

As I said in my last thread, I'm now looking at the 1/18 scale electrics. I mostly want this to bash around in the street, and on some trails close by my house. I want to set up some ramps and do some jumping, and maybe do a little off-roading on the trails. My question is, other than the body, what are the differences between buggies, trucks and monster trucks? Is one style more suited to a certain type of racing than another? I'm looking closely at Associated (RC18t, RC18b, RC18MT), Team Losi (Mini-baja, Mini-T), and the Propulse (Buggy, Truck). But from looking at specs, all the electronics, motors, and suspensions pretty much seem to be the same between buggy's and trucks from the same manufacturer. I kinda like the look of the trucks better, so I'm leaning that way, but when I spoke to someone at a hobby shop, they said the Buggy's do better at jumping. Is this true? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM

I bought a used Propulse Buggy about a month ago. It's very impressive. Very fast stock. It's much faster, and jumps much higher than my Mini-LST (which is expected since it's much lighter than the MLST). Also, does well off road, although not as well as the MLST. I'm kinda wondering how well it would do with a faster motor, and Lipo. The only thing I really have a gripe about with these 1/18th electrics, is their runtimes, which average about 10 minutes. I have an upgraded battery pack for my MLST (Intellect 1400 cells), but still average the same runtimes. Other than runtimes, though ,I'm having a great time with my 1/18ths. So far the Propulse is very durable. I've been jumping it (about 4' jumps), and haven't broken anything yet. The only issue is that the tie rods pop off after some weird landings. I don't think I'll do any upgrading on it, until something breaks. I did have to buy some shock towers, because the guy I bought it from broke it.

I bought a Wraith brushless motor with a Quark esc, but haven't installed it yet. I was gonna do a quick install on the MLST last night, but it was going to be more involved than I thought, so I didn't do it. Maybe this weekend.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody View Post
I bought a used Propulse Buggy about a month ago. It's very impressive. Very fast stock. It's much faster, and jumps much higher than my Mini-LST (which is expected since it's much lighter than the MLST). Also, does well off road, although not as well as the MLST. I'm kinda wondering how well it would do with a faster motor, and Lipo. The only thing I really have a gripe about with these 1/18th electrics, is their runtimes, which average about 10 minutes. I have an upgraded battery pack for my MLST (Intellect 1400 cells), but still average the same runtimes. Other than runtimes, though ,I'm having a great time with my 1/18ths. So far the Propulse is very durable. I've been jumping it (about 4' jumps), and haven't broken anything yet. The only issue is that the tie rods pop off after some weird landings. I don't think I'll do any upgrading on it, until something breaks. I did have to buy some shock towers, because the guy I bought it from broke it.

I bought a Wraith brushless motor with a Quark esc, but haven't installed it yet. I was gonna do a quick install on the MLST last night, but it was going to be more involved than I thought, so I didn't do it. Maybe this weekend.
I just got the buggy and truck. RS has a deal where you get a performance motor, off road tires, bumper kit and battery free with the buggy or truck. I got both with a deal like that.

johnling
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I had originally bought a buggy, but when I learned of the deal, I went out and bought the truck as well, basically to get the parts more than anything. The truck ended up being like a free giveaway.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Get the truggy!

The frame is identical, there's different(interchangeable) mounts for the body.
The buggy(I had one before the recall) leaves ZERO room under the body, which sucks, and the bumpers are worthless(anything big enough to need a bumper is too big for these.)
But, the tires that are with it give it way more traction than the truck(coworker had one before the recall and I'm getting a refurb.)
The truck, though, gives more room for junk in the trunk(body,) has way beefier bumpers(although 'beefy' is overstatement of the week) and you can always get different treads from atomicmods for cheap.
So get the truck, add buggy tires, crank up the shocks to give it some clearance, and put a drag plate(3M heavy-duty double-sided tape to hold a thin piece of aluminum) next to the spur gear opening on the bottom.
Hook up a custom LED panel(don't short out the resistor and smoke your LEDs like I did) to the acc. jack, do some battery mount mods to get a cheap 3AH battery pack on it, include some velcro and a 9v clip or battery tap to add a micro wireless camera.

A Truggy!
I'll post Youtube when I get it all put together.