TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE > ZipZaps SE

Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
Radio Shack really screwed up...

With all of the excitement they generated about the ZZ SE coming out, I wanted one so badly!! $25 for 1/64 scale propo, yeah! And they have Initial D bodies!

The SE's are released, and we start hearing about how they really aren't that great, and the propo isn't all that it should be.

Then, fairly soon after the SE's are introduced, they start generating hype for the Xmods. I went from wanting a SE to more of a wait & see, save for an Xmod, then go back and get a ZZ SE.

The xmods just seem so superior, to even the ZZ SE. Even with as superior as the SE's are over the ZZ's, they're still just fairly low end R/C toys.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Bob and Tom Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to Rex
I thought about this quite a while ago (back when I noticed that all the activity on TinyRC was under the XMOD Forum), and you're right. I think Radio Shack all but killed their own product line with another.

I never even got an SE, and I doubt I will. If I ever get any $ laying around I may get an XMOD. Who knows...

So put me down as a statistic.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:39 PM

You make a very good point. Evn me, a big time Zip Zap fanatic have found myself living on the Xmods forum, and rarely messing with my Zips. I plan to change that soon though and get back to my first love and do some customs.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 PM
zipped up tight!

Zips still have their place, the office desktop rally races, the kitchen table string bean scrambles, the late night kitchen floor grand prix...you'll never get those from an Xmod. Those of us that have to contend with snow won't be running Xmods much all winter. Unless you've got a wide open area indoors to play in, 1/64 is still the cat's meow.

Zips are great for spur of the moment pink slip challenges around the water cooler. The size is great, the price is great, they're economical to run, and easy to stash in even the smallest desks.

Oh, and as for the propo...nobody said it was perfect, just better than none at all. Sure, it's not a diamond precise throttle, nor does it have picometer increments in steering, but for God's sake it's 1/64 scale and costs a bit more than a case of beer.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:54 PM
I really should change my title...

I have to agree with Steve. Both cars have their place. I like my Zip Zap SE (once I got one that worked right) Having some proportional control over speed and steering is better than nothing. I also like the Toys R Us Superslicks because of their speed, size, and good body detailing. Unfortunately, the lack of proportional steering is a disadvantage. This brings me to the Xmods. To be honest, the only reason I bought one is because my 3 year old Mini-z recently stopped working and I was low on cash. I was pleasantly surprised just how good these cars are. Along with upgrades available and the great setup info in the included mini magazine, anybody can learn how to tune a chassis. I do have to admit that I have only used my ZipZap once since I bought my Xmods. That may become a problem for ZipZaps to some extent. People who are fortunate enough to have the space to run an Xmods indoors may find it hard to go back to ZipZaps. However, ZipZaps will probably remain popular because the small size means they can run in much smaller locations.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:38 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to carlisimo
No room for XMods here in college... even 1/43 would be pushing it for indoors racing.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rotary Freak
I agree, they really did themselves in..I think licensing Initial D was a horrible idea (and I'm a huge I-D fan..) but, both can still be good for something, X-Mods for outdoor dogfights, and Zips for indoor mini battles across the kitchen counter. I do feel kinda weird with all these dusty Bits and Zips lying around.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:24 AM
strider_mt2k

I never got into RC cars before I got into the 1/64 scale stuff.
Anything bigger, like you guys said already, is just too big.

Everything is cheap at this scale. That means alot too.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:50 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fusion
I dont think they messed up at all. Peeps are buying up xmods faster than crack addicts need a new fix. Also from what I see zz sales have not suffered. I my self love the fact that they are making the I-D cars. The only thing I would like to see them do is release more xmods bodys and more hop ups. I also think that they need to sell parts in case something gets broken. Someone said that they love I-D but dont like the fact that RS is making the cars please explain that, if your a huge fan how can you not like the fact that they are making the I-D ZZ SE or that its a bad idea?

I would also like to say that xmods have not stoped me from buying zz and Im sure Im not the only one. I have to admit I dont play with my zz or try to mod them out as much as i used to but I have not forgoten them. I have just been getting my fixes of xmods.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:09 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to carlisimo
I'm with those who will still love ZipZaps over larger ones, but if they die it'll be justified, and because of the low quality of the SEs. It's time for something more than just the originals and all the other 1/64 rc cars, and SEs promised that. They were going to keep the fad from peaking. But they don't work well. Plenty of people won't buy them because of their problems. I've had to return two, and I've only bought two. I don't know how a product so unreliable can be released like that. To date, no one's cloned them, so I don't see them becoming popular.

I hope something changes though.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
I have much love for ZipZaps, they were the first micro rc car I ever bought. Because of them, I found out about Microsizers and BitChar-G and MotorWorks and all the others. My silver porsche is dog slow and has bad range, but it got me hooked.

It's just that I've been drooling over the SE's since they first came out, then I heard the intial "Dude, they suck! Barely Propo." stuff about them. So I held off, I wasted my toy fund on something else. It sounds like they are getting better though.

And I'm an Initial D fan, so to me that makes them even better! I bought the AE86 bodies street tuner kit before I bought my first ZZ SE chassis. If I'd known at the time they would have released it, I wouldn't have blown the cash on the 2F2F street tuner kit. Oh well...

However, 1/28 scale with way more tuning options, 4wd capibility... It's probably gonna be the next one. And it's only double the price of the ZZSE. If only they had rally cars or Initial D cars. Although, 1/28 is too small for real outdoor use, and too big for most indoor.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Micro R/C'er in Da Burgh

Send a message via AIM to baleisen
I am getting my ZZ SEs back from Micro and will again be the terror of the table top. I race my X-mods in a long hallway.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Tiny RC Pro

I think if they just spent more cash on the SE's and made them $5 more the steering could be much better and be a much better car overall. They could at least tried to make them faster. They are slow as hell stock and my Dad won't send my SE off to Micro Amps.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:00 AM
?????????

new are better

just got two more of ZZ SE
they are much better in April 2004
seems RS took on your( moders) fix with the propo
now steering moves both ways lock to lock
wires oh three pins and no jumper in between
( at least in my zzs)
Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 PM

It wouldn't take much for RS to get the ZZs back in the game.

Putting aside the size advantage of the ZZs, for many people ZZs are the only micro-RCs they have easy access to. I think many of us that picked up ZZs ended up picking up Bits/Microsizers, as well as other Micros. ZZs were kind of our gateway cars (not the best analogy, but appropriate considering it's addicting ).

RS could easily stem the flow going to XMODs, or more importantly, to other Micro setups (SuperSlicks, Microsizers, etc. - I don't consider XMODs to be Micro for most people) by working with the existing ZZ line.

If I were making decisions for Radio Shack/ZZs, I would do the following :

1)expand the accessory line (motors, gears, tires, etc.)
1a)Sell the expanded parts individually (motors packaged seperately, etc. - no more all-in-one packs)
2)Redesign the main chasis, but keep the same form factor (will still use existing bodies, gears, motors, wheel).
3)Introduce some "specialty" cars - some off-road style cars, or 4WD, or whatever. Maybe a slightly different chasis and body, but still uses same motors, gears, wheels, etc. This is an area that Radio Shack could set themselves apart.
4)Sell some modular track setups, sell the pieces individually so people can custom-build their own setups (for those of us not spending the time on DIY type tracks).
5)Drop the price a bit or up the quality and keep the price the same.
6)Introduce a 1:43 line or just sell SuperSlicks, either way, sell something compatible with SSes.
7)Maybe work on making future ZZs more compatible with other 1:64 cars.

Many of us sold a lot of ZZs by recommending them to others. Radio Shack is in an incredible position - they have access to more people than Bits/Microsizers and other 1:64 or even 1:43 makers do. They have pre-existing customers for large improvements in the ZZ arena.