TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
Question any continuing interest?

i see most of the posts here about the dNano are nearly 5 months old. are customers in america still interested in the dNano? we're working on getting some to the states and are opening a shop here in pattaya
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i'm sure there would be if not for the continual slip in time lines, sole distribution setup and general lack of timely information. it's like you have to fight kyo to get anything from them and when you do, it's cryptic, vague, or just disappointing.

it's a great product! we just can't get it...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
I'm in Hong Kong right now, but will be back in the US in about 3.5 months. If the Kyosho store is open today, I'm picking one up!

The points arch2b made are valid, and probably most of the problem. Hang in there, Kyosho will get it together. Hopefully...
Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM

we're selling them here in thailand... made a few tracks, got a new blog up. its a great littel car & i'm addicted... i'm hoping others will catch on, but you're right, kyosho is being protective about this one
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM
BIT PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTrax View Post
i see most of the posts here about the dNano are nearly 5 months old. are customers in america still interested in the dNano? we're working on getting some to the states and are opening a shop here in pattaya

People over here were more interested in them when they were first released, but since Kyosho is always late to the game, it's starting to dwindle.

That and the price alone are driving people away. They are extremely cool cars, but simply not worth the price of admission. That kind of money can and will buy you so much more in the R/C hobby that you can actually race.

I can totally see Kyosho shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I'll end up getting one, but that's cause I'm a diehard micro fan. These just won't make it over here with that kind of pricing.

silla
Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM

i don't believe dNano fits the american market either. cultural attitudes and a change in the way people see this hobby in the states make that obvious. then again, i'm just one guy & someone smarter than me could come up with a way to make people shell out that dough
Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Quote:
i don't believe dNano fits the american market either. cultural attitudes and a change in the way people see this hobby in the states make that obvious. then again, i'm just one guy & someone smarter than me could come up with a way to make people shell out that dough
I definitely think it's a niche, but I was born and raised in the US and I think it's awesome!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM

don't get me wrong... i love my country but one has to acknowledge cultural & geographical differences when discussing product marketing. japan is a tiny country compared to the US and that alone introduces a completely different way of thinking for business professionals & their social habits. this item obviously isn't designed for middle/low income hobbyists & one can assume that just based on the product pricing scheme. currently, the US economy isn't a great place to try to sell luxury goods
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
don't get me wrong... i love my country but one has to acknowledge cultural & geographical differences when discussing product marketing. japan is a tiny country compared to the US and that alone introduces a completely different way of thinking for business professionals & their social habits. this item obviously isn't designed for middle/low income hobbyists & one can assume that just based on the product pricing scheme. currently, the US economy isn't a great place to try to sell luxury goods
All very valid points, but I just wanted to let people know there is some american interest.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
BIT PIMP

Even if the US economy was booming, the dNaNo would still fail here at that kind of pricing. It offers alot of whistles and bells that aren't required for running it and that hurts it in the end.

Most US owners will never see a need for 2.4RX/TX, or the PT (personal transponder) as most will end up running them in the living room till they get bored with it, so they could have left those out and dropped the price to just an insane one, instead of a really insane one.lol

Very few people at the track run Kyosho, cause you can't hardly get parts for them. The mini-Z line is fantastic too, but go to a LHS and ask about one and you'll see what I mean.

Even in a failing economy, people are willing to spend money. Traxxas is getting ready to release their new 1/16 E-Revo wih a brushless system already in it. It will be no where near what a dNaNo costs and will come with twice as much. See where I'm heading???

People all over the WORLD know that Americans will buy what ever they want, when ever they want and that's one of the reasons for the price. Just really trying to take advantage of consumers. You think people in Japan are paying $400+ dollars for one of these? NOPE!

The dNaNo shop in Miami will fail for the same reasons. It's not hard to price your self right out of the market these days.

I still want one, but it's mainly for the "cool" factor. It's not like there are any places to race around here. I've tried to turn the locals onto them, but they just turn a deaf ear to it, cause for the same money, you can race 1/8 nitro on a big off road track with quite a few people that have similar interests.

silla
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

saying a dnano is just like any other r/c mini is like saying a diamond is like any other rock out there in the backyard. kyosho didn't develop it for your "play around the house" toy market and quite obviously, they have no desire to attract that market so while you may have points in mind, they're completely irrelevant to the product we're discussing. take a look at http://dnano.jp and browse their online shop. use a currency converter and you'll see the pricing is just about on level so yes, they are paying and again, its because of their perspective of value.

1/8 nitro??? you're kidding me... engines, gas, parts & all the things you need to be competitive can skyrocket to over 2 grand before you hit the track. racing a dnano just takes buying a model & a starter kit... so, even if you got any necessary uprades, you're still looking at LESS than 800 bucks. how does that compare to 1/8th racing in any way?? (btw, i do race 1/8th truggy).

Last edited by MrNanoTrax; 02-12-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaso View Post
Even in a failing economy, people are willing to spend money. Traxxas is getting ready to release their new 1/16 E-Revo wih a brushless system already in it. It will be no where near what a dNaNo costs and will come with twice as much. See where I'm heading???
The MSRP for the traxxas mini is $300 RTR. Do the math.

Quote:
You think people in Japan are paying $400+ dollars for one of these?
No. They're paying $280.

Not to mention RCP is developing a new track specifically for the dnano. You'll be able to make any layout you'd like, unlike the existing tracks. When people get tracks or make tracks to run these things on, I think they'll catch on. People thought the same thing about mini-zs at their release. Boy were they wrong.

Plus, saying that getting into dnanos is about the same price point as getting into 1/8th scale nitro r/c is borderline ridiculous. $280=$2000. Don't think so.

Last edited by -J-; 02-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM
BIT PIMP

Quote:
saying a dnano is just like any other r/c mini is like saying a diamond is like any other rock out there in the backyard. kyosho didn't develop it for your "play around the house" toy market and quite obviously, they have no desire to attract that market so while you may have points in mind, they're completely irrelevant to the product we're discussing.
I never said, or compared it to any other mini, or micro. I simply said that part of the price was because of added features that most american buyers would'nt need. PT's jack the price up and if there are no tracks to use it on, then why pay for it?

Quote:
take a look at http://dnano.jp and browse their online shop. use a currency converter and you'll see the pricing is just about on level so yes, they are paying and again, its because of their perspective of value.
I never said I didn't understand the value behind these cards. What I did say, was that most consumers and not just in the USA, but all over the world know they can get more "bang" for the buck when it comes to the hobby of R/C.

Quote:
1/8 nitro??? you're kidding me... engines, gas, parts & all the things you need to be competitive can skyrocket to over 2 grand before you hit the track. racing a dnano just takes buying a model & a starter kit... so, even if you got any necessary uprades, you're still looking at LESS than 800 bucks. how does that compare to 1/8th racing in any way?? (btw, i do race 1/8th truggy).

Sure you can. I see new people come to the track all the time with RTR buggies/ RTR truggies and RTR whatever they sell. I never said you'd get a Kyosho ST-RR, or a Mugen MBX-6, or XRAY, ect for that price. I said you could get on the track for under what you could could get on a dNaNo track.

I race nitro too, so I see it all the time. And to get started with a dNaNo here in the US, is $240 for the car, $155 for the starter pack. That's just under $400 and it's just the car and TX. RCP is expensive and you can drop almost a grand on that, so that's close to $1,300 and you still need the timing system from Kyosho, so that's even more and you'll still be running by your self. So, yeah, you can get involved with R/C racing at a fraction of the cost to get into racing these dNaNos

R/C gear loses value so quick, espcially nitro, so you can even pick up slightly used high end gear off ebay for pennies on the dollar. Go see what an older MBX5T is going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
The MSRP for the traxxas mini is $300 RTR. Do the math.
And things never sell for the MSRP, so that makes it even cheaper, and the dNaNo is $400 RTR here, so tell me again how that's not cheaper. I think you need a math lesson.

Quote:
No. They're paying $280.
Which is cheaper that $400

Quote:
Not to mention RCP is developing a new track specifically for the dnano. You'll be able to make any layout you'd like, unlike the existing tracks.

That's making it even more

Quote:
Plus, saying that getting into dnanos is about the same price point as getting into 1/8th scale nitro r/c is borderline ridiculous. $280=$2000. Don't think so.

Why do you think it takes $2000 to get in to racing nitro 1/8 or nitro 1/10?

This isn't $2000 http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-Hyper-ST-Tr...3A1%7C294%3A50 and you can go right to a track and race all you want. I've been racing R/Cs of all types for years and you don't need the most expensive rig to win. 75% driver 25% truck

silla

Last edited by payaso; 02-12-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 AM

you're completely ignoring glaring facts for the sake of argument....

required to RACE nitro:
1) Car
2) Engine
3) Gas
4) Batteries
5) Charger
6) Radio (DSM)
7) Necessary Accesories (ie starter box, clutch shoes, etc)
TOTAL COST: ~2000US+

Required to RACE Dnano:
1) Car (all necessary tools come with car)
2) Radio (comes with charger and car battery)
3) Batteries
TOTAL COST: ~250US

tracks shouldn't be included in such a calculation but if you like, an RCP track is around 250US so you're still looking at 480US at the most to run at home. the tracking system is maybe 150US and you're STILL at only 630US.

assuming you're the one intitating the racing, then include the cost of the 1/8th scale track and timing system (AMBrc runs about 3k used). there are tracks available already but was it like that for 1/8th scale 5 years ago? everything starts somewhere.

why would you even compare traxxas to kyosho racing products? the only thing traxxas makes for racing is the REVO and its a monster truck. like i said, you're comparing diamonds to cobble stones so you're making it painfully obvious that you can't see the difference in value OR quality here. like i said from the beginning, kyosho's marketing demographic for this item is HIGH INCOME COLLECTOR's, not your average hobbyist... without taking that into consideration, you'll never understand why kyosho is not in a rush to just sell it to anybody, anywhere.

Last edited by MrNanoTrax; 02-13-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I never said I didn't understand the value behind these cards. What I did say, was that most consumers and not just in the USA, but all over the world know they can get more "bang" for the buck when it comes to the hobby of R/C.
How can you get better bang for your buck. You don't have to pay another $50 - $100 for a transponder plus the initial cost of the vehicle.

Quote:
I see new people come to the track all the time with RTR buggies/ RTR truggies and RTR whatever they sell. I never said you'd get a Kyosho ST-RR, or a Mugen MBX-6, or XRAY, ect for that price. I said you could get on the track for under what you could could get on a dNaNo track.
I'm gonna break this one down nice and slow for ya because clearly I'm not the one who needs a math lesson. $2000 is high, but getting into dnano is still clearly cheaper.

- Team Associated RC8RS Race Spec RTR Buggy $500
- AMB Transponder $100
- Nitro Fuel $90

Total: $690

-Dnano RTR (includes chassis, body, battery, charger, and 2.4ghz transmitter) $280
-RCP Mini-96 $200
-Timing System $175

Total: $655

690 - 655 = $35

The timing system isn't totally compulsory either. You could save $175 and have people count your laps for you.

Quote:
And things never sell for the MSRP, so that makes it even cheaper, and the dNaNo is $400 RTR here, so tell me again how that's not cheaper. I think you need a math lesson.
Retailers can't sell things but a small percentage lower or higher than an MSRP. Even though the acronym has suggested in it, the price isn't very suggested.