TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 08-05-2002, 02:26 PM
yellow fish forever!

Send a message via AIM to cowfish_29
My track idea...

For the last few months, i have been thinking. Ive always wanted an off-road style track to run my subaru impreza wrx on, but i always ruled that out because Bit char-g cars are strictly clean and sterile cars.
So, i think i figured it out.
-I will use a 4' by 8' piece of plywood for the base.
-I will mark off the track outline with cardboard strips
-Then, i will use water putty (plaster-like stuff.. sandable) and roughly but somewhat flat-like, spread it on.
-I will let it dry and sand it down smooth, and with the aid of a broken bit char-g car, i will check clearance on all of the bumps to make sure the cars can get over them.
-I will paint the track a dirt brown base color, highlight it with grass type colors, ect ect.
-I will get balsa wood and replace the cardboard borders to the track, glue them in, add racing sponsor decals, ect ect.
-I will get scale sized trees, shrubs, rocks and other stuff for the outside of the track.
-I will use the idea that TheFanMan and I have thought of... making a lighting system out of a series of LEDs and making stadium-type lights.

TheFanMan is also probably going to help on this, he's got lots of good ideas and is a great artist for this kind of thing.

So, everyone, tell me what you think, and if you see anything that will go wrong with this idea as of now... thanks!
Old 08-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Sounds great! The one thing I would add is to make sure you don't make it too rough, as the BC-G isn't the most precise car due to the lack of proportionality, so you need to make the lanes wide enough to have space to recover from a big bump, or provide barriers to contain cars that go out of control. Keep us updated on this cool project!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Bit OG

Send a message via AIM to kbtoyz902
awesome idea, please post pics when your finished.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Shoot To ILL

Send a message via AIM to TheFanMan
thnks for the props fish, MAD PROPS
gear: light blue
shocks: mediums
motor: 2.2
Old 08-06-2002, 08:56 AM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Wow, I can actually picture what that track will look like!

Sounds like you've got a PLAN!...Here's hoping the SNAFUs are kept to a MINIMUM!

Good luck! Sounds awesome!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:16 PM
yellow fish forever!

well.. i finally got my act together and got some stuff to start on my track. The water putty was not hard to find, but it is expensive because i live on an island. I got a big 4 pound (i think) can of it for $12. I have sketched out the track on the wood and gotten an idea of where the bumps and banks will be. When i put the temporary barriers up and get the water putty put on, I will find the digi cam and take a picture. I hope to get this done in the next couple of days.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:28 PM
yellow fish forever!

ahh!

well, apparently, 4 pounds of water putty is NOT enough to even cover the track, much less the bumps and banks. I thought that it would cover more because it was concentrated, but nope. when i mix it with water, the overall amount gets smaller.
so, i will be needing 2-3 more cans of this water putty stuff. (I was wrong about the price... its actually about $6 where i buy it). i will need to cover the other half of the track and also create the high and low areas and the bumps.
i am thinking about using something else...some kinda something to build up the bumps a little bit and then cover with water putty (as to conserve it). Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:57 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to KeyserSoze
First of all this is a great idea, I always thought it would be cool to do R/C rally, but with cars not ugly dune buggy looking cars.

You could make the bumps and stuff with cardboard and then put the putty stuff over the cardboard. It would probably get messed up if you put much weight on it, a bit char'g would be fine though. You could form the bumps out of hard styrofoam (like bike helmets) and then put your putty stuff over that. these options would also make your track lighter than if u were to make the jumps entirely out of the putty.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:43 PM
I KNOW NOTHING!!!

heres a thought

I'm not sure if you would be able find this on the island but here in michigan it is everywhere, I'm thinking of a can of spray foam insulation.The stuff is cool to work with it, expands 40% it's size, cures fast, is cheap and is sticky plus once it's set up you can carve it just like styrofoam.

just a thought.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:25 PM
SPEED IS GOOD

That track idea sounds awsome. I think the biggest you should go on the bumps/jumps should be about an inch high. Anymore than that and the BIT could struglle going up that. The thing is though i'm not sure the stock 1.0 motors will go up that bump because i was using my bullet when i made the inch high ramp. I'll be waitin to see those pics!!
Old 08-29-2002, 09:32 AM
yellow fish forever!

yeah...ive done some tests with bridges and bumps in the past... my track is gonna have to be pretty mellow...anything an inch high will have a shallow rise to it. I like the helmet styrofoam idea...i think i might try it. I am going off island today so i might be able to get some more putty cheaper and find some other stuff for the track.
about that spray styrofoam...after its totally dry, you can carve it with...say a pocket knife?
Old 08-29-2002, 11:16 AM
BIT PIMP

sounds like a great idea. If you want the track to take on a outdoor look and feel, try the spay adhesive used for puting felt on pool tables. Spray this on your finished track and then spread sand all over it. After it dries, brush away the loose sand and your left with tha perfect outdoor racing surface.

And Keyser Söze, the ö is ALT 148

silla
Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 PM
TinyRC Pro

perhaps some custom bodies might work better going over bumps and such. Cause if u ever drove your bit around without its body on you would notice it gets over bumps and such much easier and is noticeably faster..
Old 08-29-2002, 11:09 PM
www.d1gp.com

Send a message via AIM to MTL
ADD SOME PLASTIC COWS!!!
A HERD OF THEM!!!
AND ONE TIPPED OVER!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:33 PM
yellow fish forever!

well...I got dicouraged because the water putty did not come out so good, but i am gonna keep trying, i got some good sandpaper that should take all those little bumps (the size of BB's and such, completely annoying!!) after i put the foam insulation stuff on. I picked some of that up too. I am gonna not worry about the border of the track right now. i might have to think of something creative for it, because the way i am going, balsa wood is just not gonna fit...

whee off to spray foam!