TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 AM
rggtm

Most Cost Effective Mods

I was wondering what the most cost efficient mods were. My wife already wants to choke me for buying a $50 toy, so Iwas wondering which mods I can do that don't cost too much (and aren't too difficult) that will have the biggest change in performance. They can be stock RS mods or third party.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-26-2004, 01:31 PM
TinyRC Newbie

My first mod was a spin brush hyprid engine and a 6 cell mod and it cost me less then 20 dollers.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
rggtm

which of those gave the best performance increase? I'm leaning towards the 6 cell, or perhaps a 5 cell
Old 05-26-2004, 05:32 PM
5Zigen

Send a message via AIM to SHIFT_DRIFT
i wouldstart off with handling increases first.

DRIFT my ANTI-rice
Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 PM
rggtm

Thanks shift. Could you be specific? Do you recomend the RS tie rods?

Bending the stock rod with the heated salt?

The resistor mod?

Am I missing something that I should try?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
5Zigen

hmm..
i have a laid down bearings, batt pack, soft slicks, and hard suspension for my handling.
lets see..
u should get the steering/spring upgrade first, then tire set, after that, bearings, then maybe 4wd if youd like.
but getting the S2 motor set is always good...

yeah and putting your tires on the opposite way gives it a more aggressive stance and more stable!

DRIFT my ANTI-rice

Last edited by SHIFT_DRIFT; 05-26-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
5Zigen

yeah and heres my "XMod XR02" chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flower 044.jpg (31.2 KB, 246 views)

DRIFT my ANTI-rice
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 PM
rggtm

I see you mounted a 5th cell in the rear. Did you slide the other toward the front to offset the extra weight? Did you find that the 5th cell hurt the handling a lot? I am thinking hard about a 5th or possibly 6th cell. Did you ever try 6?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm not a pyro, really.

:twitching with anger:

(why do people always bring up the 5th cell mod?)

go with the six cell. it will run hotter but your batteries will run out before you hurt anything. if you add any extra cells make sure you have ball bearings. go with tinyrc's shielded enduro dry bearings, they're $28 but definitely worth it. if you dont have ball bearings you risk melting the bushings and messing up the drivetrain. also make sure that you give the car a couple minutes to cool off with the batteries out and the body off.

you should get the upgrades in this order.
Rayovac IC3s
ball bearings
stage 2 motors
awd upgrade
steering and suspension
6 cell
tires

thats what i reccomend though, it may not be completly right. but make sure that you get ball bearings before you do a 6 cell or get the AWD upgrade.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER
OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:42 PM
boro dori style RC

i think he was aiming more to cheap home mods and not buying the parts.

well clean up the steering by shrinkwrapping the tierods and knuckles and also try the steering resistor mod. it decreases turning radius alot! (i dunno if this might hurt you if you run a 6cell car because if you have a grippy set up the car tends to be twitchy and ofcouse the weight: stupid not full propo servo!) tires helped me alot tho fixing understeer and oversteer problems. the bearings, when properly lubed can make quite a difference in runtime and acceleration and top speed. you can try a penshaft driveshaft. and ofcourse if ur not already, get rechargable batteries!! will be way cheaper in the long run vs reg.

Last edited by spinitsidewayz!; 05-26-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 PM
rggtm

Thanks splint. I think you got the spirit of my post ;-)

Could you explain the shrink wrap mod a bit?

Did you do the resisitor mod? Did you need to open the servo to splice in the resistors?

Also, am I supposed to lube the gears at all? Possibly use graphite powder?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:09 PM
boro dori style RC

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....threadid=19369

you can look here for more info on the resistor mod. its not actually modifying the existing resistor thats located on the board. you are basically adding 2 more resistors into the curcuit. you just have to open the back of the servo to get the pontimeter out and get to the wires.

with the shrink wrapping. did you keep those funny rubber tubes that were on the axles when you got the car? if so you got free shrinkwrap! youll notice that there is some play in the front wheels and with the tierod. i think theres a thread on this subject somewhere? you just slide them over the bottom part of the knuckles so they dont move around so much. i used tape to wrap the rods on the end of the tierods but some ppl have used shrink warp to get it to not rattle around so much. you might have some trouble with some of this binding so it takes a while to get it right. i like to think of it as a suspension bushing upgrade

i havent used lube at all on my gears! no problems. i think it would attract too much dirt. you could try searching around. hope you enjoy ur xmod
Old 05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
TinyRC Newbie

My cars handling is amazing I bought the bearings at RS and they are not that great.If you do get some buy the shielded ones at TinyRc But since your looking for somthing not expensive buy the suspension at RS its only $7.99 and the tires are only $7.99 or If you are looking for hard suspension just double the stock springs if you can get a nother set its a litle harder than RS but thats what i was looking for.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:05 AM
TinyRC Newbie

One other thing if you do get the RS bearings get rid of the the grease.My friend and I were racing and we had the same set up but he degreased his bearings (acording to the forum he found here)and it was faster and his bearings were cleaner at the end of the race.There is a forum about It I will try to find it.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:39 PM

i would do the 6 cell mod right away after the bearings.

RSX...FWD..soft tread F & hard tread R tires..gloss black skyline wheels..crystal clear headlights..euro taillights..4.5 tie rod..lights..red suspension arms..red springs..alloy nuts
white Supra...RWD..doubled rear stock tires..white 5 spoke wheels(from 1st RS upgrade)..lowered..st.2 drift..lights..alloy nuts
350Z...Supra wheels..chrome exhaust tips..lowered..lights..lifted rear with spacers for leveled stance..alloy nuts..body match painted supra wheels
black Skyline...AWD..RSX wheels..lowered..all orange painted silvers..st.2 drift..lights..yellow springs..alloy nuts
67' Camaro...lights..reversed rear wheels..alloy nuts
NSX..RSX wheels..smoked headlight housing..lights..alloy nuts
black Civic...lights..lowered..Skyline clip..black Supra wheels
yellow Skyline, outdoor car..LITHS..AWD - front LSD & locked rear..drift tires or hard tires..dipped 9T st. 2 motor..black chassis, rear upper deck & motor holders..yellow springs...rear monoshock..F&R alloy cups, shafts, and knuckles
F150 mods include fets, 7.4V liths, st1 motor with stock gearing, F&R gpm diffs monster tires, bearings, lift kit and 4WD.
silver Supra on evo chassis, liths, AWD, lowering kit, wide rear stance, st2, bearings, 1.5 TR, F&R gpm knuckles
G35 rolling chassis
H2 rolling chassis
Cobra,rolling chassis
red Supra SOLD
65' Mustang...SOLD
Corvette... SOLD
WRX...SOLD
blue Civic...SOLD