TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 08-12-2002, 12:05 AM

Our new Micro-track to debut at Chicago International Hobby Show

Here's the some sections from the press release (which is too long to fit in the forum)
--
TechnoXtreme Introduces Porta-Trax, the World’s First Portable R/C Track

After two years of research and development, including the testing of over 50 surface and rail combinations, TechnoXtreme proudly introduces Porta-Trax, the World’s first fully portable R/C tracks designed specifically for the popular new 1/24th scale Mini-Z and 1/18th scale HPI cars ....

About TechnoXtreme:
TechnoXtreme is a Canadian technology integration company specializing in custom R/C track design and manufacturing. All three TechnoXtreme Porta-Trax products (Prestige, Weekender and EconoTrax rails ) as well as our 1/60th scale Micro track will debut at the International Model and Hobby Expo in Chicago and at the Canadian National Hobby Show in Toronto. For more information, call Lorne Cherry at 905 770 6200 ext.222.
----

(I've enclosed pictures of the Micro Track -- which may host the First Canadian Micro Grand Prix at the Canadian National Hobby Show in November. The track features: working lights, synched sound controlled by Lego RCX and tied into Tomy lap/race timer. Enhanced traction surface on all corner. Track had been tested with all Micro sized cars and the ones that work best are the two speed booster cars and the new Yokomo 1/60th.

Best of all, we may offer this track for sale if Lego will let us kit it. It won't be cheap (probably $499 US) but it is the ultimate in realism and functionality. Come out to the Chicago (September) or Toronto Show (November) and bring your micro car to try out on the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro track overhead full.jpg (227.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
synched sound controlled by Lego RCX and tied into Tomy lap/race timer.
Can you provide details as to how you combined the RCX with the Tomy lap counter? Great idea! Can you also provide more info on the 1/24 scale tracks?
Old 08-12-2002, 02:17 AM
Bit OG

Send a message via AIM to kbtoyz902
SWEET, i wanted to make a lego track. But the road pieces cost too much.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:08 AM

RCX, etc.

We are still working on the RCX, but it appears that it will work quite well. (My wife is actually the programmer in the family) ... but basically we are wiring the switch of the Tomy lap counter to one of the outputs on the RCX (it has three). Then you simply program the The RCX time delay to coincide with the countdown of the Tomy. (i.e activate this circuit in three seconds). The other two outputs can then be programmed to turn on the track lights (via light sensor if you want total realsim) and to activate either a laptop or MP3 device that output sounds and race comments during the duration of the race. I'm also hoping to add an RCX controlled "Christmas Tree" starting light to finish the track.

Suffice to say that the track you are looking at is an engineering excercise, akin to when GM or Ford builds a one-off show car. From this excercise, we hope to gain some insight that may find itself into a commercially viable product.

Although this sounds daunting, the RCX is an excellent and easy to program unit. I've seen Lego experts far surpass the simple programming and circuit activation that we will use. Here are some preliminary examples of the 1/24th track -- I'll have detailed prictures ready for the Hobby show in September and a full press release I can forward to the site administrator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg best track shot mini-z.jpg (29.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Wow, looks great! Please fwd the materials to pr@tinyrc.com when you have them. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 09:52 PM
Bit OG

Send a message via AIM to kbtoyz902
whoah, another awesome track. BTW, where can i find a cheap 1/24 scale or smaller track for my bits and stuff?
Old 08-13-2002, 01:57 AM
o_0

I am seriously gonna think about getting lego track pieces and making a bit track out of them! im gonna see how much they are and stuff, and when im done i will post them up on the bit char - g gallery! and if I dont make a lego track im gonna make one from scratch anyways!

that lego track pic is extremely cool
Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Yep, we have a LEGO track, they are perfect for BC-G racing! Not only is the lane width just right, but you can easily create barriers etc. and rearrange the layout.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:20 PM

Lego Track

Yes, Lego makes for an excellent track. We've built about a dozen of them so far, the last one is the one I posted in the gallery.

Here are some important notes for those of you who want to go the Lego route:

1) You must have a guard rail - the Lego lanes are narrow and the turns are very sharp. The rails we made on the straight are easy -- just use Lego bricks to make a "wall". The curves however were a problem. We had to cut custom end pieces from Lego bricks (a Dremmel tool works well) and then contact cement them to Ninco slot car rails. We then finished with matching colour tape so there is no bump in the seam -- which can hang up your Bit Char G. This is a lot of work and the rails took several evenings of cutting and glueing. But the end result is a good looking and functional rail that stays put.

If you don't put rails on your track, you'll get frustrated quickly. With rails all the way around, the Lego track works very well for experts and beginners alike

2) The Lego road pieces offer only moderate traction in the tight turns. Here's a trick we learned after trying many substances to increase the traction. We LIGHTLY spray spray adhesive in the tight corners and then let it dry. This stuff is so stickly it will actually act like fly paper and trap the Bit Char -- so let it dry first and it will help the traction.

3) Lego is very expensive: go to Bricklink.com and try and source some of the parts you need there. Bricklink is a source of over 200 private Lego sellers who stock old and new parts. Our track cost over $600 in parts alone, but I'm sure you can do a decent track for about $150.

4) Build the track on a baseboard (Lego road plates are 10" x 10" so plan from that. We Velcro the bottom of the plates to a foam board, so we can change the layout if we want. The layout in the picture is very nice technically in that it has a Chicane an S Corner, a Hair Pin and a long straight.

5) Get your self a Booster set (2 speed Bit) or run 1.0 motors (not too exciting). The 2.2 to 3.0 are much too fast to the point of being frustrating. Perhaps you young folks have better ractions then I do, but I couldn't get a clean run with a 2.2 on my track. If you wnat to run the faster motors, then start with an oval track and leave out the complex turns. If the Bit gets turned around its frustrating to straigthen out on such a narrow track.

6) I'm working on an improved infared timing system using the inexpensive Tomy lap counters. The system I'm building will time 2 cars and possibly three (you need one Tomy unit for each car). The system is similar to the flag system used on Mini-Z's but as the Tomy lap counter is very sensitive, I've had to switch the Bit's antennas to a solid core thin strand.
I'll post pictures next week when I'm done.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microtrack front view.jpg (196.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 08-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Cool, it's really nice to see that you're willing to share your experience in building the track. We'll look forward to seeing future developments and good luck with this and your other projects. Btw, when is the Chicago show this year?
Old 08-13-2002, 09:03 PM

Chicago Show

The International Hobby and Model Show in Chicago starts on September 5th and runs for 4 days. The first three days are for trade only (i.e. Hobby shop owners), with the last day open to the public.

The Chicago show is the largest in the World and is an experience you won't forget. Over 300 exhibitors from around the world and the latest R/C and other hobby stuff. It's worth a plane ticket to see the show, especially if you are into R/C or considering entering the Hobby business.

As a few of you dabble in importing or Web selling, it might also be worth while to make some business connections, although the Japan show is best for that.

If you are going, let me know - our booth is 4003 and will have the 30ft. Mini-Z F1 track. -- Lorne
Old 08-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Lorne! You SICK BASTARD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bittorture.jpg (89.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-14-2002, 06:55 AM

Namuna, all the figures in the raceway were washed in H3o (heavy water) and then injected with kelvar we sourced from our agent in Bolivia. These special Lego people now possess 50 times the strength of ordinary humans. (That guy in the pits is actually doing his daily push-ups using the car.)

Yesterday, when I was driving on the track a couple of Lego thugs grabbed my transmitter and then threw me to the ground. I was dazed and confused as usually the Lego crew are a peacful bunch. Turns out, the pit crew just wanted a raise. All is now peacful at the track, but I do keep a watchful eye whenever a group of Lego people start shouting obsenities at me.

These superhuman Lego people are all part of our government's new "microsupersoldier" project. Other covert projects we are working on with various foreign governments include: a Bit Char G equipped with deadly lasers that look like innocent LEDs, a supersonic Bit using Tomy's newly developed nuclear 3.0 motor and sauce left over from the wife's chili, and a micro-sized mobile missle launcher able to attack very small countries without being noticed. -- Lorne
Old 08-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
You are a TWISTED man Lorne Cherry.

...I LIKE it!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Administrator

LOL! Lorne, we should be attending Chicago this year.