TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE > ZipZaps SE

Old 12-30-2005, 09:52 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Austin Martin DB5 body issue (a warning & a fix)

Warning: I just recently bought an Austin Martin DB5 and encountered a problem with the fitting of the body on the chassis... I am now convinced that it is a common issue with this model. So, unless you don't mind making mods to the body, stay away!

Before I initially placed the Austin Martin DB5 body on the chassis on my newly purchased zz, I tested the motor and the steering to make sure it was working properly. It all seemed to work fine until I placed the body on the chassis (which fit more snuggly then any of my other bodies)... As a result, the steering jammed. Upon a closer inspection, I noticed that on the front tab where the body locks on, is pressed back, hitting the steering pinion, stopping it from moving. Unfortunately, after I fully discovered and tested my theory the steering conked out all together.

Being a man who likes to take risks, I returned this one for a 2nd Austin Martin DB5 only to discover that my initial body issue on the Austin Martin DB5 was no fluke. The 2nd Austin Martin DB5's body was tight too, causing the steering to jam. The only difference this time was that something was obstructing the motor and the rear wheels too.

Determined to keep the Austin Martin DB5 body and convinced that this is a common design issue with this model; I needed to relieve the pressure on the chassis and remove any obstruction on the motor's gears and rear wheels.

1. I simply removed the obstruction on the motor's gears and rear wheels by pressing the rear silver LED wires down with a flat head screw driver until they were snugly against the inside of the body and out of the way.

2. Remove steering pinion pressue: I did not want to alter the chassis, so I decided that I needed to modify the Austin Martin DB5's body. I took a flat needle file and removed the plastic brackets on the interior until it was flush with the interior of the body (behind the bumpers). Don’t be too concerned about the removal of the interiors brackets, because the chassis ultimately slides into the slots (which will still be there after your filing). You will have to check your progress several times by fitting the body back on the chassis. Continue until you are happy with the results (until the steering moves freely). FYI: Most likely you will have filed through the brackets that hold the bumpers and front grill in place, causing them to fall off. If so, just put them back on when you are done and put a dab of super glue on the inner brackets.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
BitPimp Enforcer

I bought both Aston Martins a couple weeks ago for 50% off.
The DB5 performed flawlessly, I didn't have any issues with mine. I think it's the very best body ZZ has made to date. The detail is flawless and it sits very well on the chassis, not like a 4x4. LOL The Vanquish did have a steering problem, like it had negative camber, still need to return it. That is one of the "worst" bodies ZZ has made to date. Sits too high, and is much too narrow. As a matter of fact, RS had the DB5 on sale again and I bought 2 more along with the Bonspeed!!! Luv that body

If It Don't Fly....."MODIFY"!

Last edited by DarkTari; 01-03-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
TinyRC Newbie

I must have just bought a couple of lemons then because my DB5 bodies absolutely would not fit... Yes indeed, the DB5 has a ton of extra details that most other zz bodies don't have.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
BitPimp Enforcer

Quote:
Originally posted by rc+bass
I must have just bought a couple of lemons then because my DB5 bodies absolutely would not fit... Yes indeed, the DB5 has a ton of extra details that most other zz bodies don't have.
Did you make sure the rear tab is fitted into the slot? I've noticed in some bodies the slots aren't quite large enough. No biggie, nothing that can't be fixed in 2 seconds with an Xacto or file. How about the front? Is the tab fittng in the slot?

Just got a Hitari Mean Speed Machine (Europes version of ZipZaps) yesterday. One body would fit and the other wouldn't because of the front slot. Checked the front slot to see that there was slight excess around the slot (from casting) just took an Xacto blade and "Bam"....... Body fits perfectly!

Last edited by DarkTari; 01-04-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:30 PM
TinyRC Pro

Darktari is right. You don't have to do anything, but remove excess plastic from the front and rear bumpers bieng plastic welded.
I just took a right angle pick tool and scraped it out a bit. Only took a few seconds - and no wasted time & hassles swapping out at RS.

A side note, the old Aston body looks to one of the best of all of the bodies i've seen, except for the Herbie body. It is the more realistic to scale look.

Looking foward to finishing the cal-look mine is undergoing!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
I picked up a DB5 last weekend, same body fitment problem. About 5 minutes fiddling with a knife to the chassis removing all the flashing on the body tabs, and it fits perfectly.

Datecode on mine was 8A05.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
BitPimp Enforcer

Quote:
Originally posted by ibjamn
Darktari is right. You don't have to do anything, but remove excess plastic from the front and rear bumpers bieng plastic welded.
I just took a right angle pick tool and scraped it out a bit. Only took a few seconds - and no wasted time & hassles swapping out at RS.

A side note, the old Aston body looks to one of the best of all of the bodies i've seen, except for the Herbie body. It is the more realistic to scale look.

Looking foward to finishing the cal-look mine is undergoing!
Told Ya !

Old 01-15-2006, 03:13 AM
TinyRC Newbie

I had the same problem,and had to clean it up a bit. My brothers vanquish needed major fiddling to get it right cause the steering thing.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:47 AM

Now, that's the "James Bond" one, correct? I recently got into the whole ZZ thing (I've been curious for a while but my birthday was recently so I thought now's as good at time as any) Unfortunately the store only had various monster truck models and a ton of aston martins, so I went with the AM and a 'European' body kit.

I was looking for the Initial D kit (love the show) but there was no sign of it, although I'd later find one on ebay... So right now I've got the AE86 Trueno all assembled and ready to race... (but my word I must've misplaced the transfer gear more times than I care to admit... oops)

I do hope to nab a 2nd chassis of some sort so I can assemble the "AE85 Levin" that also came with my Initial D kit.

DT
Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
BitPimp Enforcer

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkTetsuya
Now, that's the "James Bond" one, correct? I recently got into the whole ZZ thing (I've been curious for a while but my birthday was recently so I thought now's as good at time as any) Unfortunately the store only had various monster truck models and a ton of aston martins, so I went with the AM and a 'European' body kit.

I was looking for the Initial D kit (love the show) but there was no sign of it, although I'd later find one on ebay... So right now I've got the AE86 Trueno all assembled and ready to race... (but my word I must've misplaced the transfer gear more times than I care to admit... oops)

I do hope to nab a 2nd chassis of some sort so I can assemble the "AE85 Levin" that also came with my Initial D kit.

DT
DTS,
RS has been clearing out the ID sets for a while now so there aren't many left in the stores. Best place to get another cheap chassis would be on eBay! Over in Da Hood we post eBay and other finds all the time.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkTari
DTS,
RS has been clearing out the ID sets for a while now so there aren't many left in the stores. Best place to get another cheap chassis would be on eBay! Over in Da Hood we post eBay and other finds all the time.
Yeah, that's where I found mine, I wasn't really planning on using the aston martin kit, and from the looks of this post, I'm glad I didn't! :P

Anyway after I locate a 2nd chassis to put the AE85 on, I may find one of the other Initial D vehicles...

DT

Edit: oh... DTS, LOL I see this might be a problem LOL :P
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 AM
BitPimp Enforcer

If you're speaking of the DB5, only issue with that body was the slots. Once that's corrected, that the baddest body RS has made to date (IMO) and sits on the chassis better (doesn't sit as high).

And now lowered......

JUST BEAUTIFUL

Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 AM
TinyRC Pro

dang man i got the DB 5 for x-mas and it wouldnt steer right i thought it was the SE`s in general i returned it for a ZZMT
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I process, therefore I am

Old thread, I know, but I had a comment on the DB5 body. I love the detail too. I love that it sits lower, but I hate the scale of the thing. This car is a very small two seater sports car. It's about the size of a spitfire or mazda miata in 1:1 scale. The thing that bugs the poop outta me is that this body is way out of scale sitting next to other Zips. It may be one of the longest bodies ever made due to the front and rear added plastic. It's even longer than my 70s muscle cars. Now, I know scale isn't a Zip strong suit. Just look at the Herby next to a challenger for example. But, for some reason it bugs me on this body.
It reminds me of the underglow body kit sold once. Those bodies were way to wide due to having more plastic in the sides as light pipes. And like those bodies, the DB5 is really heavy.
I love the detail, one of the best of the bunch, but the length turns me off.