TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
yellow fish forever!

Send a message via AIM to cowfish_29
In case anyone is confused, PEN SPRINGS are ferrous (magnetic) and are usually way to stiff for bits. The QFM springs are non-magnetic and the correct size. Dunno about the slotcar ones, im gonna have to try them out. Did someone say you did not have to cut them?
Old 04-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Mr. Goop

Send a message via Yahoo to Spanky
i have lots of slot cars... and it depends on the slot cars. many of my old slot cars that i got from my uncle (25+years old) do have magnetic springs. but some of the newer cars i have dont even use springs... anyway i dont really think that they should affect the steering to much even if they are.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Retarded Stunt Driver

Quote:
Originally posted by cowfish_29
Did someone say you did not have to cut them?

that was i. at least the ones i use(tyco roadhugger)

they are also non ferrous.

i think they could be slightly stiffer but they work nicer than the plastic thing that tomy tries to pass off as suspension.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Moderator - Modifier

Suspension Spring FACTS:

-Magnetic springs WILL affect your steering adversely. To test this simple concept, stick a staple or other ferrous metal under your steering well beneath the chassis and see if you can steer properly. Tell me you can, and the physics of the Helmholz magnetic assembly will say you are lying.

-The springs if the proper length will not interfere with your steering ability.

-Springs do give added stability to multisurface tracks.

-Springs do give added stability to S-turns (quick hard left then hard right vice versa)

-Springs will NOT give you wider turning radius.

-Springs will increase rolls on cars with very fast motors, esp on drag runs that overcorrect steering at top speeds.

Hope this clears things up.

Sincerely,
Questformadness.com

Old 04-10-2003, 01:52 AM
TinyRC Pro

I have my reservations on that one. The magnet is much closer to the steering coils than the susp. springs, right? Sure, if you put a piece of metal directly under or over the magnet it will cause it to fritz out, but do you really believe that coil springs all the way out on the knuckle posts will do anything.

Hmmm....
Old 04-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Moderator - Modifier

Helmholz assembly is based on balance. That the magnet in the middle remains neutral. The springs (esp the ones in a pen) throw off that balance. If a staple located beneath the steering assembly, separated by 1mm of plastic can throw it off, so can the springs. But this isnt just theory. I tried lots of pen springs. I have been modifying stompers prior to modding BitChar-Gs. I use springs to create suspension on my stompers. (Go to www.stomper4x4.com and peep the custom silver 4x4 stomper by JAY, its mine). So naturally, these were the first springs I tested, and not the last either. What will happen is you steering will pull permanently to either side. But this is all talk. Its easy enough to pull a pen spring and cut it to test. Take you no more than 10-15 mins. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you tested this for yourself, whether or not it works. And without any sarcasm intended, that truly is one of the better joys of modding RCs.

Sincerely,
QFM

Old 04-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Garage Rocker

Cool Stomper page QFM.

Seeing all those old cars still on the card gave me major flashbacks of my childhood.

I'm really wishing I hadn't destroyed all mine, but would I have loved them as much if I didn't?