TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Stock ZZ drifting?

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a stock ZZ sideways with the least amount of mods possible.
I have an orange Nissan 350z that hasn't been modded at all except for blue tinted windows, no motors or gears, anything.

I'm trying to get it to go through pure technique, and I've been getting it to full speed, then tapping reverse and forward while turning. This got the rear end to lose traction and swing out a little, but it loses a lot of speed and either stops or snaps out of the drift.

Also, are there any cheap mods I can do that will make it drift?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to zzultimate Send a message via MSN to zzultimate
The only way you are going to get a zz to drift is to throw in an awd setup. No other mods are going to let you drift. awd can be cheap.

Go check out the zzse forum, there is a 7 page topic on awd.

Xmods:
Drifter-05 mustang- AWD, PVC drift wheels, bearings.
Racer -Dodge Viper- Custom body, Flipped wheels, suspension upgrade, steering upgrade, tire upgrade, stage two.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Whooaaa.
I don't think I could even attempt that.
I've noticed that it swings around really well in reverse. Couldn't I just make it FWD?
Wait, then I still end up having to screw with steering, suspension, motors and a bunch of other things. I only have one ZZ and I don't wanna ruin it if I mess up.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Jazz32

There is a few things you could do. First, you could try to reduce the grip on your tires. Try some electrical tape or something first (that can be easily removed).

Also, you could try trying to learn how to drive it in reverse. My superslick cars work pretty well with front wheel drive and rear wheel steer. If it works out, you could look into making a more permanent move to make all the controls backwards.

AWD is going completely out of the way... There are other ways of approaching it.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
ZZs won't drift, you can get them to slide, but being binary control you just don't have the fine adjustment for the inputs needed to really drift. As for the AWD thing, I'm going to call bs, the only reason that would help drift is to give you understeer which can be tuned into a chassis incredibly much easier than installing AWD!

With that being said there are still many things you can do to Slide Your Ride...
-Tire/wheel kit has lower grip tires,
-Remove the rear tires completely,
-Spread water out on a table or floor,
-Get a "Cars" series ZZ,
-Dual Cell,
-Stacked Fets,
-Get a "Cars" series ZZ and remove the motor resistor,
-Li-po power
I could go on, but you get the idea...

If you want, you can have so much power that breaking traction won't be a problem, but finding any traction will be!!!

Last edited by frizzen; 11-06-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to zzultimate Send a message via MSN to zzultimate
I have to dissagree. Zips can't drift with any other mod but awd. Awd helps you drift because the front tires pull you through the drift, after the tires lose grip. With out the front wheels helping, you just get fishtales and doughnuts. At this scale, there isn't enough weight to be thrown around in a drift. All dual cells and less gripper tires will do is send you in spinouts.

Same with XMods, awd really helps you drift, but at 1/28 scale, it's easy enough to drift with out it.

Then again, no one has ever built an awd zipzap. And no one has ever drifted a zipzap either.

Xmods:
Drifter-05 mustang- AWD, PVC drift wheels, bearings.
Racer -Dodge Viper- Custom body, Flipped wheels, suspension upgrade, steering upgrade, tire upgrade, stage two.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM

I think alot of the confusion that everyone is having with drifting is how some people are understanding how drifting actually works.

Do a search on the net on how to drift with a real car and read a few sites. The principles are actually pretty easy to intiate a drift. It is the skill needed to actually control a drift that is difficult.

A typical drift car has the following: Manual transmission, stiff suspension, limited slip differential, rear wheel drive, lots of horse power usually turbo and super hard compound tires in the rear.

This setup with the following techniques are how drift racers control their vehicles in a drift.

Clutch-based techniques:

Clutch-kick drift - Approaching the turn, the driver holds in the clutch, increases rpm and downshifts. She then releases the clutch, causing a power surge that makes the back wheels lose traction. This is a basic drifting technique.

Shift-lock drift - Approaching the turn, the driver downshifts and drops the rpm to slow down the drivetrain. She then releases the clutch, causing the back wheels to immediately slow down and lock up so they lose traction.

Brake-based techniques:

E-brake drift - The driver enters the turn and pulls the emergency brake to lock the back wheels. She steers into the turn, and the back end swings out into a drift. This is a basic drifting technique.

Braking drift - The driver enters the turn and applies the brakes to push the car's weight to the front wheels, causing the back wheels to rise and lose traction. She then uses a combination of braking and shifting to hold the drift without the back wheels locking up.

Long-slide drift - On a long straightaway approaching a turn, at high speed (up to 100 mph / 161 kph), the driver pulls the emergency brake to initiate a long drift and maintains it into the turn.

Other techniques:

Power-over drift - The driver accelerates into and through the entire turn to make the back end swing out as the weight shifts on exit. This technique requires a lot of horsepower.

Feint drift - The driver steers the car to the outside of the turn on the approach, pushing the car's weight to outside wheels. She then quickly steers back into the turn. When the car's suspension kicks back, the weight shifts so quickly that the back end flicks out to initiate a drift.

Jump drift - Entering a turn, the driver bounces the inside rear tire over the inner curb to shift the car's weight to the outside wheels and induce traction loss, initiating a drift.

Dynamic drift (Kansei drift) - Entering a turn at high speed, the driver suddenly releases the gas pedal to shift the weight to the front wheels, initiating a drift as the rear tires lose traction.

Swaying drift - A swaying drift is a lot like a feint drift except that it begins on a long straightaway approach to a turn. Once the car starts drifting, the driver uses steering to maintain the drift in the form of a side-to-side swaying of the car's back end.

Dirt-drop drift - The driver drops the rear tires off the race course into the dirt. This technique helps initiate a drift, maintain speed to hold a drift through multiple turns or increase the drift angle.

Now the real question is how do you setup your ZZSE to do all that. For the horse power needed the usual mods are fine. Figuring out the proper suspension setup would be key as well.

I have an idea that may work for a limited slip differential. Since the drive gears are on one side of a ZZSE maybe very small bearing placed over the axle and inside the wheel of the opposite side of the gears would work? I don't know what do you guys think.

If steering seems to be too quick even with a stock ZZSE steering motor perhaps a lower rpm motor could be used.

Adding a clutch of some sort might help. I don't know if this is even possible though at this scale.

And some type of braking system at least on the front wheels could help too. Again, I don't even know if this is possible at this scale.

One of the things I am wondering is a ZZSE too light to drift? Maybe a diecast body with a ZZMT motor and other typical horse power/torque mods would allow proper weight displacement on a rear wheel drive vehicle of this scale.

Last edited by steelo; 11-06-2006 at 08:14 PM.