TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 03-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Got Brains?

Angry !@#$%&*

I don't know about wherever you guys are, but the racing scene in Cincinnati SUCKS. Nobody wants to race X-mods or Mini-Zs at the 3-5 tracks we have here, so I think about getting an RS4 or a Mini-T and nobody gives a rat's ass about those either. It's 1/10 scale or nothing here, so I went out and got a Tamiya TB-02 NSX and that thing is harder than hell to put together!! I HATE building model kits and this is easily 10x harder and more frustrating than any model kit. It'll take me a week of HARD work to do it and that's NOT counting the painting!!! At least I still have my MaxxPede to freak people out with, IT FLOATS!!. Anybody else having these issues as well? I guess you guys that are kids still in school probably have friends with these cars and can find folks to race, but the adults have a helluva time. Ahhhhh...feeling much better now.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
like my dog??

Send a message via AIM to aero528
im 15 and almost NONE of my friends want anything to do with rc. i have one friend that likes nitro 1/10(which i have), so thats good. i am really hoping to get an micro rs4, so i can have an electric racer and a nitro racer.(hopefully i will race them ) we here have NO tracks so i would not be complaning, but i see your point. you must have gotten a kit, because you have to put it together. you could have goten an rtr, so then you would not have to put it together. i am almost the oppostie of you. I love to build models and i love to paint them! buillding a rc car is one thing i cant wait to do. once i get my micro rs4, then i will be able to build it. i will be getting the combo from tower hobbies with the futuba radio. i cant wait till i get the money. $10 a week is not that much when you have to pay for nitro fuel and parts. but i get little bounuses here and there, so i might have it by May.(or i might get it for my birthday on may 20th! )

Aka...aero528
Old 03-03-2004, 07:23 PM
I really should change my title...

Right now, I'm 14 years old. My neighbor has quite a few RC cars, but since he keeps coming on my property without asking, and recently his friend punched and gave me a bloody nose, he's now banned from our yard and our friendship was toasted.....so, there's practically no one on my block that's a friend and likes to race.

Also, You think those Models are hard to put together? the Xmods AWD kit and motors took an hour to install, and that's cuz something kept falling out of place and was hard to fit back in. It's a pain in the arse!!!!

I feel you guys.

Chuckster...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
I KNOW NOTHING!!!

I love putting RC kits together I almost enjoy it more than running them.
I recently put together a tamiya TLT-1 and I have another TLT that I will be assembling soon.

If you think putting them together is hard try making custom parts and fitting it all together that is some real work.(but I enjoy it)

Just take your time it's not a race to assemble it the fastest and if you get frustrated just leave it and go back to it later.

I took a week to assemble my RC10-gt just so it was perfect.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Mad Scientist

I always found Tamiya and Kyosho kits to be much easier than the hardcore racing brands like Associated and Yokomo. These days, I could probably put one together without even looking at the instructions. I know I never needed them for the Xmods, even during the bearing and AWD install.

The advantage of building a kit over an RTR is that since you build it, you know how to disassemble it to work on it better.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Got Brains?

yeppers

This Micro RS4 is a breeze to put together compared to this Tamiya car and the Xmods are pretty mindless when it comes to assembly. I'm at the point now where I've ruined 4 "c" clips that go on the threaded end of a screw that holds together the tierods, and CV joints, so I'm going to Lowe's tonight to see if I can find some M3 .50 pitch nuts to use instead. I also may have ruined the A arms on the suspension because I couldn't get these little screw-peg things (they are threaded pegs that have no head) screwed into the holes (only one of them out of 4 fit in properly). It's only $9 for a replacement set of 4 though and I'll probably just use some regular screws with heads instead, I think that they're used to adjust the height of the A-arms.It would be a different story if these parts fit together correctly. The Tamiya instructions are worthless, so I see your point Neuro, it has 2d representations of the parts so it's hard to tell which end is up and it has maybe a little 7 word sentence on what to do for a part that requires 5-10 things to be put together for it. I could've bought a RTR, but it was $70 more and I don't need another radio, I'm just gonna get some crystals and use the MaxxPede's. I already got a Traxxas receiver and I'm going to get a good ESC, probably the 8T Duratraxx. This thing WILL be awesome when it's put together, but this is my first build, the MaxxPede was bought as a RTR Stampede and I put the E-Maxx wheels on it and beefed up the tranny with bearings instead of pegs in the slipper clutch and a metal pinion gear. I also put a 8T motor in there with the DuraTraxx ESC, but it NO torque, so I moved up to a 13T and a 15T motor.

Any tips you guys have, especially you Neuro since you're experienced with Tamiya, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Any suggestions on the ESC and Motor? I was thinking about the reversing 8T Duratraxx for $75 (I wouldn't want to spend more). The motor it came with is a Tamiya 27T, but I know that will be too slow, so I'm thinking about a 15T. Most guys at the track either run 27T or 19T and have to in order to be in one of the class races. I'm only familiar with the Trinity Speed Gems that I use in the MaxxPede, so I'm open to suggestions.

Hey, here's a pic of what the car should look like when I'm done. I think I'm going to not go with the racing theme and just paint the windows, wing and ground effects black and the rest yellow, and maybe put a cool graphic on the hood and a white square with a black #86 (my favorite #) on the doors.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58315

I think since the x-mod scene is kinda dying until something new comes out, maybe we can start a forum for our bigger RC cars?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Mad Scientist

Unusual for a Tamiya kit to not fit together perfectly, that's what I was talking about. The Associated and Yokomo were much more difficult to get right.

I'm not as up on my larger scale R/C as I used to be, I haven't really done anything with that in about 10 years. Although I just looked at the Super Hornet on Tamiya's site, and it looks pretty much unchanged from the old Hornet that I started out on way back when. :lol:

I've always been partial to Novak for ESCs, but that's because they were the leader in the field when I was racing. Honestly, after working on FET mods for these smaller cars, I can't see how much different they can make them. They probably all use IRF4905 transistors in the H bridge. :lol:

As for motors, I'd say run what the class requires, or else adjust up or down a couple of turns depending on your preferences if you don't plan to race.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
It's super useless!

I've never really put an R/C kit together but I've been building a ton of plastic models. Maybe if I had the time and money I will consider the Micro RS4s.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:28 AM
TinyRC XModder

I plan on getting a Micro RS4 kit. I think I'll enjoy putting it together.
-Fully Adjustable Plate-type LSD
-4/5/6 Cell Mod
-Rayovac IC-3's
-Body kit
-Wheel & Tire upgrade
-All Wheel Drive Kit
-Command Logic Light Kit w/ 5mm high intensity blue LED foglights
-Ball Bearing Upgrade

[url]
Old 03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Got Brains?

you will

The Micro RS4 kit is easy, it should only take you an hour or two.

**Edit** Oh, I forgot....you may want to forget about the Micro RS4, the Xray M18 is MUCH better for about the same price. It's the same size, but it's lighter and shaft driven 4WD, not belt plus it can accept motor sizes of 180,240,360 and 540. Everyone that has an Micro RS4 is complaining about these cars killing them in the 1/18th classes.

Last edited by theMonster; 03-05-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
boy has this drifted.....

none of the rc shops around me gives a darn abotu anythign smaller than 1:10. i had to drive 2 hours to make the va cup races for mini-z's and 6 hours to the ohio cup races. so, i ended up buying my own rcp track.

now i race my brother and cousin (mini-z's, xmods, overlands) two weekends a month atleast.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:01 AM
TinyRC XModder

Re: you will

Quote:
Originally posted by theMonster
**Edit** Oh, I forgot....you may want to forget about the Micro RS4, the Xray M18 is MUCH better for about the same price. It's the same size, but it's lighter and shaft driven 4WD, not belt plus it can accept motor sizes of 180,240,360 and 540. Everyone that has an Micro RS4 is complaining about these cars killing them in the 1/18th classes.
There aren't very many hop-ups for the Xray...yet.
-4/5/6 Cell Mod
-Rayovac IC-3's
-Body kit
-Wheel & Tire upgrade
-All Wheel Drive Kit
-Ball Bearing Upgrade

[url]
Old 03-06-2004, 12:03 PM
("\(0.o)/") Rawr!

Send a message via AIM to kasper01001
for some odd reason i just don't favor tamiyas... i just don't, well I got an old 1/10 kyosho Optima Mid with no body (still looking) and I maybe purchasing a HPI micro RS4 soon but with all this going around most my friends just have xmods, and a few have like 1/10th scales

BTW, how good are the Xrays? can u give me there website

Last edited by kasper01001; 03-06-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:22 PM
TinyRC XModder

www.teamxray.com

They're supposed to be much faster than RS4's because of the low center of gravity, shaft driven AWD (instead of the belt drivin RS4), and lightweight graphite chassis.
-4/5/6 Cell Mod
-Rayovac IC-3's
-Body kit
-Wheel & Tire upgrade
-All Wheel Drive Kit
-Ball Bearing Upgrade

[url]
Old 03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
It's Really Fast!

I want a Nitro 4-Tec 2.5, but I don't I'm experienced enough to handle it. I might just get a Losi Mini-T. BTW, the Yokomo GT4 RTR is so sweet! Too bad it has no reverse. That's the only reason I wouldn't get it.