TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 01-18-2003, 09:16 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Wink modified a body to fit Speed Racer Spec 1!!

Hi all, this is my first post to the boards, I am now officially a member here! (I've been checking the boards for about two months now,though!) Anyways, I got the Epoch Spec 1 Speed Racer set off of Ebay for $35, because I thought this would be a good way to test out the Epochs to see if they are really that good, and I am not disappointed, very COOL! I also have a Mini Z and a Rocket Racer, and those are awesome as well, but I like the scale of the Epoch better.
Anyways, about the Speed Racer set, UGLY bodies! So, I decided to try a different body out on it until I can order some official replacement bodies that will fit! I was at Wal-Mart last night looking to see if there might be any 1/43 scale vehicles that might work, and I found a Battery Powered 4X4 Truck made by KID CONNECTION/NEW BRIGHT for $4.76. They had a few different models, and the bodies that come with them are made of plastic, so they are lightweight and can be modifed easier than diecast. By just looking at them, they appeared to me that they would be about the size needed to fit on the Speed Spec 1. Also, by the way they sat on the truck frame I could tell that they were hollow underneath, no protruding parts that could interfere with the circuit board, etc... on the Spec 1.
They had a Jeep, Avalanche, Dodge Ram, Chrysler Panel Cruiser, and a couple others. The two that looked the easiest to mod were the Jeep and the Pt Cruiser. I picked up the Jeep and went home to work on it. This was very easy to do, all I did was pop the body of the Jeep off the tabs they are connected to in the back of the truck, and sized it up to the Speed Racer Spec 1 to see if it would fit....wheelbase is off in front, so it wouldn't go all the way down and fit correctly, maybe another model would work, will have to check. But I thought, hey this is a Jeep, lets make it a Monster Jeep Spec 1! What I did was use some Super Strength Velcro Strips and cut them to size for the front and rear bumpers, mounted it on the Spec 1 a little higher up so when the front wheels turn, they don't hit the body of the Jeep.. Also, I plan on getting some of that 'ticky tack' type of stuff that you can use to stick things up on walls, etc... I will use the ticky tack and build it up on the sides of the Jeep body so It attaches nice and snug to the sides of the Spec 1. As for the antenna, since the Jeep shell is plastic, all I did was use an X-acto knife and mark where I wanted the hole to go, poke it in and just swirl the knife until I got the right size hole needed for the antenna. Finished product, A Monster Jeep Spec 1!! It sure looks a whole lot nicer than the Racer X or Speed Racer shells, yuck! I wish I had the means to post some pics of my modification, but hopefully some of you will try this and post pics of yours! Good luck, David Penka