TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Question Totally stock car pushes

I have a totally box stock Subaru WRX STI Dnano and I am racing on the smooth side of the RCP track.

PROBLEM: My car really pushes when turning under full throttle. In order to turn tightly I have to kit the brakes.

QUESTION: I do not have a lot of cash to play with for buying hop-up / tuning parts so what should I try first?

I was thinking tires and completing the rear suspension aka the top suspension slip plate or what ever it is called.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Many things to try/do; here there are in order of cost and ease:

1) Upgrade the front tires to something more sticky then the stock front fronts, which I believe are 50s. That alone may do it.

2) Add a ball differential. The stock D is almost useless at high cornering loads

3) Spin the tires with your hand. Do both wheels turn freely? If not you have to clean out the front axels. This is a design flaw in the d'NaNo, in that getting at the front axles requires a fair bit of work to disassemble the front end. (Shaving the top of the pin that engages the tie rod slider, makes it easier to "pop off" the front wheels without disassembling the entire front suspension.). While you are at it, add ball bearings to the front and make sure they are oriented properly. You want both wheels to turn freely. Any binding will cause push or tweak to one side.

4) (Advanced) ...increasing the steering servo "holding power" via the optional ICS cable has helped me correct push that is caused by the servo not being set strong enough to hold the wheels during lateral acceleration.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM

So you would suggest adding a ball diff before adding a top suspension plate?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Despite all the other hop ups, I do not use an upgraded suspension plate... a little flex in the front suspension (but not slop) is good. I think the front alumunium plate is nothing more than gimmick and doesn't help (at least not on my tracks).

And yes, always upgrade to a) tires b) bearings and c) ball diff ...in that order, same as Mini-Z.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM

I think u may have misunderstood me. I am talking about a rear basically damper that goes on the top of the rear pod and chassis. Not the plate on the bottom, sorry to confuse.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
all suggestions by lorne are accurate.... you need more grip and that means softer tires. unfortunately, Kyosho doesn't make anything softer than 40° in FA size so i suggest you try some x-power 30,35,40 or 45° (xp's compounds will be slightly softer than kyosho's so a '35' xp will probably be what you need).
Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks!! I appreciate all the help.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM

We use the rough side of the RCP. I use PN 65 fronts,stock rears and an Atomic disc damper and my car is very good to drive.
Also have bearings fitted.