TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Want to make stock XMOD go SLOWER

I'm not sure how to search for this topic other than to look for "SLOWER" (didn't find anything like this question), but I doubt this topic has come up much anyway as most folks want theirs to go faster.

I have several XMODS and a wide foam track (8'x12' w 4' wide lanes). I want to use it in fund raisers, church carnivals etc. and to let beginners play with them.

Since it will be beginners running these I'd like them to go just a bit slower. Beginners almost always pull the trigger wide-open even if you tell them to go slow at first. They also always turn the steering wheel full-throw. In this area XMODS are great because they don't turn too sharp.

I've already changed the controller to the Lo setting for speed and kept everything stock (motor, gearing), but this is still a bit fast. Another thing I've tried is to run it on only 3 cells, but this won't power the servo very well.

Another idea I have is just to put something behind the trigger to limit the travel. I can do this, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone here had any other ideas.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions of how to slow my XMODS down?

Thanks for your help.

Brad
http://www.dadsfunpage.com
http://www.apforcharity.com
Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Thrasher

Some of those crashes in that video look painfull. I seen this covered before over on mini-zracer.com. I don't think they really got anywhere in that one. His solution was to use Xmods instead of Mini Z's. The biggest problem with an Xmods is that they need that initial kick from the motor to get going. Which is why they have that long round cap added to the motor.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:45 PM
TinyRC Pro

slow your xmods down

-you could probably put a resistor in between the positive motor lead and the board. Make sure that you use a resistor that is rated for the power that goes to the motor, the resistor will drop the voltage going to the motor decreasing torque and top speed. in terms of ohm value you might have to test that out your self(the higher the value of resistance = the slower the car)
-Also you can add weight to the car(although if you place it too high the car might flip or handle worse)
-i know this defeats the purpose of low cost for charity but body kits slow the cars down a little bit.
-one more pick up thin washers that fit in the axels to create friction on the wheels
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
TinyRC Newbie

That resister idea is sounding interesting. I may have to play around with it and see what can be done. As noted above, yes I've noticed they need that kick to get rolling so will have to watch out for that.

Thanks a bunch for the replies everyone.