TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 01-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Bit Surgeon

As always, just do a test-fit before you go to the trouble of wiring it up. The multi-turn pot I found like that was a longer rectangle shape insead of a square, but the height was about the same. You may have more than 5 turns before the voltage cuts off, but probably only 5 or so "usable" turns.. I'm assuming you don't want your bit to run super-slow. If it fits ok, post your results when you're done!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:05 AM

We now have a ZipZap (black Civic, and SOON an Eclipse) with 3.6v, potted, and headlights which are also potted to adjust brightness. The car looks completely stock from the outside, and uses the stock charging base. other than the weight, you'd never know it was modded! Using the 1.6 motor and red gears, the thing screams.

Next is the a/c charger and finishing the Eclipse with headlights/tailights.
Variable power
Fiber optic head/tail lights
Front springs
Max Torque mod
Green ZZ gears

Real cars- 2001 DHG Bullitt Stang #2580 -modded
2002 Escape XLT 4x4
Old 01-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Tiny RC Pro

How much for 350Z with POT installed.

edit actofgod How much for 350Z with POT installed.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Tiny RC Pro

how much for another eclipse LEE50GURU
Old 01-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Bit Surgeon

LEE50GURU, if you get a chance, post some pics of your completed work. It'd be nice to have more than one example.

Racer9, you'd be better off doing it yourself instead of buying a pre-modded bit. It'd be a lot cheaper, plus you get the satisfaction of finishing the job. You also learn a lot about the way a bit works in the process. If you bought one and something went wrong (like a wire came loose during a high-speed crash) you wouldn't know how to fix it unless you had done the work yourself, and it'd be really expensive to ship it back to somebody just to solder one wire back in place.

So.. grab a cheap clone if you're worried about messing something up, get yourself a $10 soldering iron from Radio Shack, and have a little fun. It's really not so hard once you get started, and you can always ask questions here in the forums.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:37 PM
TinyRC Champion Racer

Question How about some pics of the POTs Soldering points

im not quite sure how you got the POT to stay on the pcb or where u soldered the wires ! and what wires to solder ?? I just recently completed the Layman's dual and tri cell mods, im totally obsessed, i just need a better charger. i really want to do this mod, sounds pretty sick !
Old 01-20-2003, 10:08 PM
TinyRC Champion Racer

Question How about some pics of the POTs Soldering points

im not quite sure how you got the POT to stay on the pcb or where u soldered the wires ! and what wires to solder ?? I just recently completed the Layman's dual and tri cell mods, im totally obsessed, i just need a better charger. i really want to do this mod, sounds pretty sick !
Old 01-21-2003, 09:05 PM
That's all folks

Re: The Infinite Speed Potentiometer Mod (tm)

Quote:
[i]Now I can adjust both speeds to run as fast as possible on any given track, depending on how many curves and straightaways it has.
[/b]
Wouldn't it be easier to adjust the speed by changing motors or gears? If it is too fast with three cells, then just use two cells. Now if you could adjust the pot from the transmitter while driving (can you say proportional speed control) then it would be worthwhile. I don't mean to knock your mod, just seems like a lot of extra hassle. BTW it is kind of cool though.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Clones Are Good

See the Proportional Steering Emulator thread. There is a theory being tested that may work for steering and throttle.

Shen Qi Wei:

Begun this clone war has.
- Yoda
Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Bit Surgeon

Re: How about some pics of the POTs Soldering points

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMicroDoc
im not quite sure how you got the POT to stay on the pcb or where u soldered the wires ! and what wires to solder??
You can either put the pot between the batteries and the pcb or between the pcb and the motor. The first way will decrease voltage to the entire car, including dimming any LEDs you have (to some degree). The second way came from those who experienced a decrease in steering performance at low speeds due to the lower voltages available for the electromagnets. I haven't had this problem myself with two or more cells b/c I never want to go slower than 1.0 speed, but keep it in mind.

Reread the first post explaining the wiring. I'll recap: one wire goes from the +V battery terminal to the center pot pin; a second wire goes from the left pot pin to the +V connection on the PCB.

Use superglue to attach the pot to the pcb *cover* -- not the pcb itself.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Bit Surgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by bdebde
Wouldn't it be easier to adjust the speed by changing motors or gears? If it is too fast with three cells, then just use two cells. Now if you could adjust the pot from the transmitter while driving (can you say proportional speed control) then it would be worthwhile.
At first, changing motors was the only way to change bit speeds. The problem with that is that it is expensive; if you wanted to buy every speed of bit motor, at about $7 a pop, you'd end up paying quite a bit more than the car itself cost. You still wouldn't have fully adjustable speed; you could only adjust speed in increments based on their RPM rating.

After the first (legendary) dual cell mod, another way of changing bit speed was born: increasing voltage. It effectively doubled (or tripled) the number of possible bit speeds, since each motor could operate at 1.2v, 2.4v, or 3.6v. It still required owning several motors if you wanted to adjust speeds, and otherwise it was generally not practical to go back from 2.4v to 1.2v again, since so much modification of the chassis had to be done.

This mod builds on the voltage concept and takes it to the next level: you no longer have to own several motors to change speeds (which is also a relief on the wallet). You can pick a nice, fast motor with a good balance between torque and speed, and after doubling or tripling the voltage can adjust the speed back down to slower speeds. The degree of precision possible is much greater than swapping motors; you can have an infinite number of speeds, including a wide range between the RPMs of the available motors that you couldn't otherwise reach. Swapping motors can get you close to the speed you want, but this can get you *exactly* the speed you want, whether it's matching the speed of another car or realizing that you need to take those corners at somewhere between a 2.2 and a 2.6 speed.. like a 2.4253 or so speed. : )

The next step in this evolution will be when, as you mentioned, the speed can be adjusted while driving. On page one of this thread, this was discussed in terms of a motorized potentiometer, but it is not currently feasible due to the size limitations. I'm very excited about the Proportional Steering/Throttle Emulator being worked on; it represents the end goal we're after.

As for difficulty: the more advanced you want your control to be, the more complicated it will be to achieve it. Swapping a motor is child's play. Adding more batteries is a little more complicated, but if you use the Layman's mod it's still easy. Adding a potentiometer requires adding batteries and having two wires where there once was one, a beginner to imtermediate level soldering job at the most. The Steering/Throttle Emulator looks to be the complicated of all, but that's what you'd expect from something that gives you full control.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Bit Surgeon

Oh yeah; I made icons for the Layman's mod and potentiomer mod over in the Misc Discussion Area; if you have either mod on your car and want an icon for it, go show your support over there.

I'm talking to you, Chelboed
Old 03-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Chief Propeller Head

Hey actofgod, thanks for the reference to my proportional controller emulator in your earlier thread. I've updated my work with some video, you'll be interested to see it in action.

Check it out, here

cheers,

ph2t.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:35 PM
TinyRC Pro

Let me get this straight. If you want lower speed, you turn the little dial on the pot counterclockwise? And if you want faster speed you turn the dial clockwise?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Bit Surgeon

Exactly. As you turn it to the left, the resistance increases, allowing less power to the pcb and motor, and causing the car to go slower. Turning it to the right decreases resistance, allowing more power and more speed, up to the max speed available with your battery setup (recommend at least 2.4v).