TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-30-2002, 06:42 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via ICQ to mcharles13
Anyone know of any cheap solutions that will peak charge correctly?
Old 01-05-2003, 10:49 PM
bitchargen

so, really, u just need 2 nicads.
nimhs give so much runtime.
but do they give much more speed then nicads?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 PM
met-sb

if i can get my scanner working or use webcam i can take pic of my two, 12 volt alkalines a stole from home depot

the alkalines are a milimeter taller than the stock battery and 12 volts and only cost like 99c for a pack of two

i dont think anyone is crazy enough to run 12 volts through their bit but they can get the batts from home depot and try
Old 01-21-2003, 08:39 PM
That's all folks

Well, I think that the 500 ma charge rate is pushing the limit with these small batteries. Some cells seem to handle it fine, but others have died on the first charge. I have ruined a few at that rate. Seems that 300 ma is safer, haven't fried any at that rate (yet).
Old 01-21-2003, 08:49 PM
arceeguy

Quote:
Originally posted by bdebde
Well, I think that the 500 ma charge rate is pushing the limit with these small batteries. Some cells seem to handle it fine, but others have died on the first charge. I have ruined a few at that rate. Seems that 300 ma is safer, haven't fried any at that rate (yet).
Typical recommended charging rates are up to 2C. (which would be 100mA for a 50mAh cell, or 200mA for a 100mAh cell, and so on...)
Staying within these guidlines will give you hundreds of charge/discharge cycles. The built in charger really kicks these things in the butt with high current, so the cells typically only last a couple of hundred cycles. (the packaging on one of my clones states up to 300 charge cycles for the internal NiCd)
Old 01-28-2003, 09:07 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Angry Rayovac creamed two of my cars

PLEASE HELP!

I thought I would try all these cool peak charged ideas.

First, I built one of the AC/DC chargers that uses a simple Radio Snack power supply that connects to a charging pad. It worked great at charging all my cars. The schematic was posted on one of these forums.

Having used the AC powerd charger I decided it was time to enter the big league and PEAK CHARGE my cars. I used alligator clips to hook up the Rayovac PS1 charger to a charging pad. Well, it PEAK CHARRED my cars! I only had them on the pad for about 40 seconds. Don't ask me why I did it to two cars

The end result was two cars that ran fine for a very very short period of time. Even when I charge them using the normal chargers they still poop out at about 1.5 minutes. I changed batteries in the cars but that didn't help. They are essentially useless now

My questions are:
- Do you have to take the batteries out of the car to use the Rayovac charger?
- How can I go about repairing my car? Do I need a new PCB?

I've learned from my lesson and am now using the cheap $9.99 cars from Walgreens for my experiments.

------------------------------------
Shen qi wei
Microsizers
Mega Toys
Zip Zap

Old 09-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Mr.Qla

ok......im not quite getting this?????? wats a peak charger first of all and if u r talking about the chargers that charge big r/c's i have one but i think the voltage is too high for it and i dunno how to do this anybody got like pictures???? of how to do this and wat i need to do this
Old 09-17-2003, 02:19 AM
TinyRC Pro

A peak charger measures the voltage while charging a battery, when the battery is fully charged, the voltage actually drops a tiny bit, the charger stops when it detects this.

If you keep charging a battery past full charge, it gets wasted as heat, which can eventually fry the battery.

If you have a digital meter, you can watch the voltage slowly climb for most of the charge time, then the last few minutes it will climb much faster, untill it hits the peak, and then drops back a tiny bit.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:29 PM
TinyRC Pro

Location: The land of all things faster than they need to be.
I'm going Lithium.
If anyone wants a set of plans for a good Li-Ion/Li-Po peak charger, just ask. I'm going to use my beloved Apache 1-2 cell, if I can just find where I put the stupid battery....
The advantage of Li-Ion over 3 200mah -cells:
-Cheaper (2 li-ions for 6.00 (1=3 NiMh), a 200mah is usually about 5.00)
-Slightly faster (the Li-Po puts out 1/36 more voltage, with a WAYY flatter discharge curve)
-FAR HIGHER CAPACITY (can anyone say 800 MAH! That's a long runtime!)
P.S. if someone knows of a small Li-Ion battery, let me know. I intend to mount mine on the top, and simply make a ugly car. If I could find one that would work internally, that would be nice.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:52 PM
hobbymanqwerty

Wink i understandink nows

I finally think I understand this peak charger thingy...
Now, do you get a battery charger and then you put your battery from your cars into the charger(so it fits of course) then charge it like any old battery, so then your battery can get a full 15 minute charge without going it bung or exploding, and with some of you guys, you have bought ones that you can attach your controller pad to so you can charge your batteries in the charger without actually having to take the batteries out.
if this is right i need to know 2 things, this has to be in ultra laymans terms when you reply, how many batteries can you fit into a aaa battery slot on a charger so you can char-g a heap at once and if you are wanting to attach a controller charging pad to a charger do you just get some wiresand attach them from the pad to the charging output thingies. oh and one last thing, what voltage and amp levels does your charger have to be
Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 AM
TinyRC Newbie

I got a sweet duratrax intellipeak setup that I will use to charge my bit, not to mention I have 1800+ mah nimh AA's for the controller. I can't wait to get the upgrade nimh for by bit.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:25 AM
TinyRC Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by mcharles13
Anyone know of any cheap solutions that will peak charge correctly?

http://www.universalhost.de/html_bit/b-charger.htm

this is the cheapest way I beleive... You can even get 2 free samples of MAX 713 chips at http://www.maxim-ic.com/
Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to RacinSkillZ101 Send a message via Yahoo to RacinSkillZ101
cool fast and simple
Old 06-01-2004, 04:14 PM
TinyRC Newbie

hi, i recently made my super bit charg dual cell, but after i charge it everytime (i use a piranha peak charger at .3 A) the bit stops working, then if i wait for a while(about an hour) or i desolder the batteries and put it back in, it starts working again can someone tell me why? i'm sure its not due to a loose connection that causes it to stop working as the solder joints i put on it were pretty strong and nothing has been disconnected
Old 06-01-2004, 08:51 PM
That's all folks

You may be putting too much voltage to the circuit board during the charge, causing the circuit to cut out (i think they have over voltage protection). When you remove the battery, it allows the circuit to reset. This may or may not be the problem, but sounds like it could be. I like to put a small switch between the batteries and the circuit board on multi cell cars, to avoid this problem. Also, you can try making the battery connection to the charger before powering up the charger. I know my Tekin peak charger will give a surge over 20 volts if it is powered up before plugging in the battery.