TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Tracking Issue

I'm having a problem with my dNaNo not tracking under acceleration. It always wants to veer left pretty violently. When I add trim (not the right thing to do I know), it helps on power tracking but then off power tracking is off.

I'm hoping it's a diff problem, and I'm gonna put my ball diff back in as soon as I get a couple of those white spacing clips, but from my experience with mini-zs, it also could be tweak, which wouldn't be good.

I've checked to make sure one of the front wheels isn't tightened more than the other, and I've checked for h-plate tweak, but until I can get my ball diff installed again, I don't know what else to check. Anyone else have this problem? Any ides?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM

I wonder if you can add a tiny shim on the right side to give more traction to the left wheel.
dNano - Corvette (04/10).
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i won't have any insight until i get mine this weekend.

i have to imagine that due to the small scale, the buildup of dust/dirt, etc. will effect these much more so than a mini-z.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Check over at the Atomic mods web site ...they have some good tips for centering a car, including shimming as suggested above. Also, lightly spin each wheel with your hand (pinion gear disconnected). You may have binding in a wheel caused by one single hair, a problem of the Epoch 1/43 also.

Running little cars on the floor (Epoch, Bit Chargers, SS, etc.) was always problematic, they need to run on a clean surface or track only or it's a big headache constantly cleaning the axles.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
I've checked just about everywhere for hair possibly binding something up. Didn't find anything. I was looking at my diff thinking that would be my next best guess after binding, and when I rotate a wheel one way, the other doesn't rotate the opposite way, making me think my diff isn't functioning properly. I'm gonna put my ball diff back in and go from there.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
completely rebuild the ball diff bro
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM

There has always been a centering problem by design with these diffs being located on one side. The left wheel will always produce more torque than the right one because the axle is attached to the right wheel resulting in more mass to rotate. So the left wheel will have more torque under acceleration and veer the car to the left. Thats a design limitation that you can already feel on mini-z (but inverted, diff on the right side) and even more obvious on dNaNos. The fix for centering would be a rigid axle or tight ball diff but then you loose the benefit of the diff. Solution is to trim slightly to the right to compensate.

Also I noticed on my 2 cars that the stock diffs do not spin completely free when new, but that has nothing to do with centering (see above). I had to break the diffs on my new cars by blocking one wheel and spinning the other at very low throttle for 2-3 mn (don't do that too long if you feel it stresses the motor/fets). After that the diff will spin free (but not as free as on a Z because of the smaller components). I prefer not to use oil on these cars because it would attract dust and finally spin less free. I even degrease them in alcohol sometimes.

EDIT: just tested on my wooden track (low grip) watch the video

What I didn't understand is both the Dnano (diff on the left side) and Mini-z (diff on the right) veer to the left. Need to investigate some more

Last edited by fovea3d; 04-29-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fovea3d View Post
Solution is to trim slightly to the right to compensate.
I'm completely rebuilding the ball diff like Nanotrax suggested, but what do you mean by the quote above? Trim what to the right?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM

To make short ALL dnanos have a tendency to veer to the left (watch my video). This is a design flaw no matter how free your diff is.
It will be more obvious with an X-Speed (my Murcie on the video has an x-speed) and on low grip surfaces.

You can compensate by trimming the steering on the TX slightly to the right, also accordingly to the track you are running on (turning clockwise and anticlockwise you would trim differently).
Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fovea3d View Post
To make short ALL dnanos have a tendency to veer to the left (watch my video). This is a design flaw no matter how free your diff is.
It will be more obvious with an X-Speed (my Murcie on the video has an x-speed) and on low grip surfaces.

You can compensate by trimming the steering on the TX slightly to the right, also accordingly to the track you are running on (turning clockwise and anticlockwise you would trim differently).
I've tried trimming it, but then off power steering is off. Oh well.