TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-26-2004, 11:43 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via AIM to 2fast4u
Thumbs up Drift Guide

due to a large amount of people requesting techniques on drifting i decided to put together a guied for drifting setups and techniques i hope this will end posts about drifting and will help people out.

Now, the first thing to take into consideration is your drifting surface. tile might be a surface you want to stay away from due to the grout in the middle your car will be jumping around. linoleum and hardwood floors are a good drifting platform. it will help if your surface is thouroghly cleaned because debris such as dust will give your tires no grip on the surface and end up in uncontrollable donuts.

Next, tires are an important factor. taped tires or foam tires are taking away from the purpose of drifting you want to go around a turn as fast as possible and REGAIN GOOD TRACTION after doing a drift so the thing is to get good hard slick tires that still have grip.

Breaking defies the purpose of a drift, not only do drifts look good but they are supposed to be done without loosing speed so around the entire turn although sometimes at half throttle the brakes will not be applied and the momentum of the car will help keep the speed.

Suspension is actually not such an important part of a drift simply becaus of the different techniques and styles that people have. sometimes people say that a hard suspension in back and a soft in front is a good setup for drifting. I personally recommend first drifting with stock springs and then adjusting how you think is neccessary.

Gearing and motors are ofcoursethe most important part the gearing usually depends on the motor you can have a motor with a lot of torgue with the blue gearing and it might still spin the tires. i have heard that the spinbrush mod with stronger magnets and a ball bearing can on a drift motor with drift gearing is a very good setup but, once again it is all about the style and technique it all depends on when you want to spin the tires and when you want to come out of the turn.

AWD ive heard that awd makes drifting easier i am not so sure of this since the front wheels will be pulling out of the turn just causing a small skid and not a full whip like we want.

THE DRIFT:
1: come into the turn at full speed
2: let go of the throttle about half way and let the momentum carry you into the turn
3: turn into the turn at half throttle and gun the throttle to spin the tires(this is where your motor and gearing comes in)
4: swing around the turn and at the desired angle let go f the throttle half way again alowing the tires to regain grip
5: slowly accelerate out of the turn

NOTES: counter steering MIGHT turn you out of the turn so i suggest not doing it(you will also need catlike reflexes) hitting the brakes will result in a speed loss which we definately do not want. keep your movement quick yet not agressive (you always want to be in full control) spreading water may damage your electronics. lastly... EXPERIMENT try different setups, surfaces, and techniques and that will help you develop your own style that will be unique.

i hope i helped and if possible maybe this cud be a sticky
Old 12-27-2004, 12:13 AM
A Winner Is You

Send a message via AIM to ChenPokoMasteR
Counter Steering isnt very hard....when you see your car start to loose it just steer the other way

Skyline- Cf Drive shaft, stacked fets, 2 cell lithium, AWD, Bearings, Custom motor
Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to wacko_boy
when i drift i go full throttle trough out the whole drift, and drift wheels work better than hard slicks on concret
Old 12-27-2004, 09:02 AM

exactley

thats what im saying if u read thw whole thing im just giving some tips but later u start to develop your own style and going full throttle through it means ur car just spins and that means u dont have grip which is bad. and when you counter steer ur car will probably turn out if ur wheels suddenly regain grip.

[edit]

i am trying to help people who are new since there are a lot of threads about drifting i never said anyone HAD to do something im just trying to mage suggestions which have worked for me and others btw full throttle in the whole turn is not a drift thats a slide which is different

Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-27-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM
TinyRC Pro

Re: Drift Guide

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fast4u
the purpose of drifting you want to go around a turn as fast as possible
actually....the quickest way through a corner is a straight line....not sideways...and drifting is not racing....its show...

just like pro-wrestling is not fighting....its acting.....
Old 12-28-2004, 05:12 PM

actually

a corner isnt a straight line so check ur information yes it is show but the point is NOT to loose speed because the tires keep on spinning. so stop the flaming i put this together to help people not so that people can criticize my work. i did research and i actually know what i am talking about.

[edit]

"Breaking defies the purpose of a drift, not only do drifts look good but they are supposed to be done without loosing speed so around the entire turn although sometimes at half throttle the brakes will not be applied and the momentum of the car will help keep the speed"

read the whole thing and infact if u ever watched a drift competition u would know that if you lose your momentum you lose point

p.s i will make a video later with my xmod and my mini z

Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-28-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:37 PM
TinyRC Pro

Yes Drifting is more tecnique than speed. You don't see F1 cars going sideways. that said I enjoy watching drifting. The easiest way to drift with a x-mod is with the AWD and stock tires on the new laminate floors as they have a low traction surface. I can do nice figure eights with mine.
180 size motor, custom made heatsink
GPM alu front knuckles, shocks and center bering holders.
more to come...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 PM

cool

cool, once again i want to stress what i am trying to do i do not want to force anybody to do anything i am just giving hints and suggestions to poeple who want to start drifting. and yes drifting is more torque than speed.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:39 PM
5Zigen

Send a message via AIM to SHIFT_DRIFT
Re: actually

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fast4u
a corner isnt a straight line so check ur information yes it is show but the point is NOT to loose speed because the tires keep on spinning. so stop the flaming i put this together to help people not so that people can criticize my work. i did research and i actually know what i am talking about.

You got one part right...
You don't wanna loose too much speed in drift, though drift isn't ment for speed.

Life 'aint "INISHULL DEE OMG DRFTRACE2U?!?//!!1!11".

DRIFT my ANTI-rice
Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 AM

yea

thats what im saying a drift isnt meant for a race but losing speed
makes you lose points in a drift ur not supposed to lose speed. ur not supposed to be going that fast but speed helps you, and then ur supposed to keep the momentum.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 PM

drift guide

BUMP please guys tell me wat u think
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Xmodder

Send a message via AIM to rs2000 Send a message via Yahoo to rs2000
Yeah, your guide is pretty cool, but you can lock your rear diff gear (the big white gear on the axle) with some cyanocrylate (sp?) glue, just take the 3 little gears out, and the middle spacer, and glue the 2 big gears to the diff case, this will make your back end lose traction easy on tile and slick concrete etc. I can fish tail on carpet with it. I only recommend doing this if you have a spare diff, and pretty good driving skills. Such as throttle control, because your car will be much harder to get going without spinning out. With practice its fun. I can pull a drift all the way around my kitchen table with full batts. Oh! and I forgot, drifting is about speed in some aspects. A good drift driver can make it around a tight corner much faster than someone who doesnt drift. If the drift is controlled right, they can keep a higher momentum through the corner, and have more speed at the wheels to accelerate into the straight.

*Nissan 350z*
[COLOR=royal blue]
-Stage 2 red SB hybrid motor (soon to be neo mags, BB can and BB endbell)
-IC-3 800 mAH bats - 4 cell
-AWD
-Blue springs up front, silver in back
-Aluminum locknuts at all four corners
-Locked rear diff for drift action!
[/color]

Last edited by rs2000; 01-08-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 PM

nice job on the tutorial. cool.

Last edited by LiLStagg; 01-08-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, your guide is pretty cool, but you can lock your rear diff gear (the big white gear on the axle) with some cyanocrylate (sp?) glue, just take the 3 little gears out, and the middle spacer, and glue the 2 big gears to the diff case, this will make your back end lose traction easy on tile and slick concrete etc. I can fish tail on carpet with it. I only recommend doing this if you have a spare diff, and pretty good driving skills. Such as throttle control, because your car will be much harder to get going without spinning out. With practice its fun. I can pull a drift all the way around my kitchen table with full batts. Oh! and I forgot, drifting is about speed in some aspects. A good drift driver can make it around a tight corner much faster than someone who doesnt drift. If the drift is controlled right, they can keep a higher momentum through the corner, and have more speed at the wheels to accelerate into the straight.
locking your diff , do you have AWD , i doubt it otherwise it would be easy , i have stock rwd and i want to lockmy diff , ive been trying to find a TUT on this for a while now and i really want to do it , if anyone knows where theres a TUT for this please let me know
Old 01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Xmodder

Send a message via AIM to rs2000 Send a message via Yahoo to rs2000
Yeah, i have AWD... fully locked in the back.. limited slip in the front... at least untill yesterday... I popped the bond between plastic and CA glue. Can't find anything stronger. Well just follow the text like i have there. Thats the easiest way. Or use the plate LSD but that requires a ball bearing diff. My car still drifts well at high speed with awd, IC3s, and limited slip all around. You just have to get about 1/2 speed going in the turn, full throttle at about 1/3 of the way, and pull out of it at the end, which is easier with awd and the tierod mod. I can't do any 10 foot drifts anymore, but oh well.

*Nissan 350z*
[COLOR=royal blue]
-Stage 2 red SB hybrid motor (soon to be neo mags, BB can and BB endbell)
-IC-3 800 mAH bats - 4 cell
-AWD
-Blue springs up front, silver in back
-Aluminum locknuts at all four corners
-Locked rear diff for drift action!
[/color]