TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 01-06-2003, 06:01 PM
TinyRC Pro

Lightbulb Crazy 7.2v Battery Idea for DRR

I stumbled across an idea since I happened to be looking for battery packs for my DRR and my Nokia cell phone on ebay. I noticed that the batteries for the 5100/6100 series of Nokia cell phones are 3.6v. If I were to hook up two 3.6v batteries in series (which would be 7.2v) would it power my DRR? I have two unused NiMH 3.6v 900mah batteries laying around collecting dust. I thought I'd make a post about it before turning into a mad scientist and go experimenting blindly. You can find cheap Nokia cell batteries on ebay like this one listed :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1949322327

The Nokia batteries seem to be light weight, slim, and have increased mah's compared to AAA's. The only problem I can see is how to hook up the batteries (so the contacts don't give out while driving around) and get them to stay still in the DRR (along with having easy access removing them for charging) and charging them (seperately or in series, etc).

I thought I'd share some ideas and see what the responce is since I'm no battery or R/C expert. I don't want to fry DRR and after only having it for 2 weeks.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan
HPI Micro RS4 14t Pinion
ABC DTM Bearings
ABC DTM-SP Foam Tires
Dynamite Aluminum Body Posts
Foam Insulation Home Made Bumper
31MPH or 50 km/hour

Green Lamborghini Murcielago MicroSizer

Rare Earth Magnets & Steering Spring Saver Mods
Old 01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
INTP

great minds think alike

I was in a discount electronics store (ie close out specials) last week and had a similar thought. They had 3.6v cordless phone batteries. The price for two appeared to be prohibative to say the least. But it did get me looking around target for similar batteries. I wonder the weight difference would be with this setup vs 7.2v RC pack. You could break down the cell battery cases to save weight.

Keep us informed.
big bamboo