TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM

body durability questions

The detailing on these things is almost too nice for something that's going be driven by myself and my kids.

I remember my Mini-Zs starting off looking nice but within one week every outside rear-view mirror was back in kit form. I also remember that some bodies (in particular the AMG Mercedes and the VW bug) held up better than others with wings and other extraneous protrusions, that looked nice but broke off too easily.

Before ordering my cars, I'm interested in knowing if this fragility is the same with respect to the dNano. I do realize the mass is much lighter (a good thing) so the car-to-car hits that were so hard on the Z's (knocking off body clips, etc.) should not be as severe.

1) Are you finding that the body "looks" hold up (i.e. the mirrors and wings actually stay on).

2) Are some bodies better than others? (i.e. I noticed one or two of the Can-Am style cars had no mirrors sticking out.)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i to have the same concern however 1. the cars are slower, 2. they weight less. that is not to say it's improbable for peices to come off but i'm hoping its enough to make it less prevelant. these autscales cost more than mini-z autoscales. i don't mind busting a mini-z white body @ $18 but a $40-60 dnano autoscale is another thing.

please, those who have raced these with other dnano's, please post your experiences and opinions.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 PM

both murcielago and carrera gt lost their mirrors within 2 days. they are made of somewhat flexible material unlike the body but the glued points are the weak links. I glued them back on but they fell off again. On my homemade track the guardrails rub on the mirros so they fall off. sux.
dNano - Corvette (04/10).
Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM

I have the Enzo Ferrari dNaNo and run it with my other z's. The body has held up rather well. Mirrors eventually came off after coming in contact with the other mini-z cars. As you mentioned, the cars don't weigh much, so contact with other dNaNo's should not pose any problems. Now slamming against the wood rails and wood side walls of the official Kyosho Hobbytown tracks, now thats an entirely different issue. Not sure how that's going to work with the beginner drivers. Time will tell.

edit: I just remembered, I had a body clip come loose and the window set pop out. Just glued them back on.

Last edited by RCP-Tracks, Inc; 04-30-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
I've gone through 1 autoscale in about 5 months of bi-weekly racing with other dNaNos. It's held up quite well really.

Like edhchoe said, the mirrors are one of the first things that come off. My F40 was hit really, really hard from behind and the wing did come off, but I was able to glue it back without an issue. I will definitely reinforce the front body clip. The front clip came off, and it's difficult to glue back and get the angle correct so that the body sits right.

Other than that they really hold up well.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
anyone familiar with a mini-z has come to terms with the loss of side mirrors long ago as a price to pay for racing. despite the scale change, it does not bother me in the least if this holds true for the dnano.

what i'm more concerned about is body integrity. the newer mini-z autoscales are far more fragile than the older generations. wither its due to modern car designs including more intricate details or a change to thinner, cheaper plastic i don't know. i know i do not want my sons r35 cracking in half through normal wear and tear.

rcp, i know you've shown the images before and i did not jump on it but i have all your current rcp tiles and those do not look like anything currently available i realize this is not the best thread to bring this up but i keep getting sucked in by the unique surface your cars are running on.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
my mini-z body has rubber mirrors so no problems there but the little light covers came off... after my wife tried acrylic on them a few times, i've decided to leave them off lol. my mazda 787b (dnano) lost its wing & the headlights are jacked up... but my wife strengthened the underside of the body with acrylic so thats helped a lot. on the porsche 911 gt3, its white so it'll never stay pretty... dings & scratches have killed the luster but other than the headlights, its doing ok.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM

One of the headlight covers of my Porsche 962C popped off from a light impact with a hard surface - other than that everything is OK...The racing car style bodies have the mirrors mounted more inboard - not hanging off the side - so you don't have to worry about them as much...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 AM

Hello!

The light weight of the dnano greatly help to reduce the damages.
On my R8, mirrors came off (on our RCP track, they where caught by the rail) as on mini-z.

Other than that, i've only two little hit beside the front grill due to collision with mini-z on the track and some scratches on the hood collected in some out-of-the-track-excursions. No crack, window or light that pop out.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Wrap the sides w/ Invisible Shield and I forsee a looooong life span after that. It may be somewhat pricy for a Z body, but these are tiny. Will help keep headlights and etc intact too.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Wrap the sides w/ Invisible Shield and I forsee a looooong life span after that. It may be somewhat pricy for a Z body, but these are tiny. Will help keep headlights and etc intact too.

What is this "Invisible Shield".
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM

www.google.com / www.zagg.com
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post

rcp, i know you've shown the images before and i did not jump on it but i have all your current rcp tiles and those do not look like anything currently available i realize this is not the best thread to bring this up but i keep getting sucked in by the unique surface your cars are running on.
Yes, this surface and track pieces are from another project that I have been working on and off for about a year. It is an injection mold design for the dNaNo. The surface is of some prototype panels that I have been experimenting with to try and get the texture of the surface just right. This has not been an easy task as due to the speed and acceleration, the dNaNo car flat out does not run well on standard ABS, PP or similar plastic materials. We are experimenting with some different textures applied to solid substrate parts to get the car to perform just right. My hopes are to eventually bring to market an injection mold track similar to slot car tracks. The process is quite expensive and getting the car to perform right are some of the obstacles we are facing. I am waiting to see how popular the dNaNo car becomes here in the states and overseas, before we invest in the molds to produce such a product.