TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
Exclamation Dragging a Type 1 VW

This section of the board looks lonely, so here's something that might be kinda interesting to a few people.

I love the classic Beetles (hate the new Waterbugs) and have a real VW based kitcar in progress, so when RS released "Herbie" I was all over that. 1st one I got I kept stock, 2nd I decided to lower and it looked sweet lowered so I decided it needed to become a Drag Beetle.

For those of you that just aren't into these, the drag beetles are wickedly fast, much larger displacement than stock, and generally Turbocharged. It's not uncommon to have a quartermile in the sub-10's.

"Herbie" is a bit confused of a body, first it can't decide if it's a standard beetle or a super beetle, it's a square window, yet it's got a "W" decklid with a pope's nose brake light, pre-67 tail lights, export bumpers, and somebody added eyebrows. It's a pretty sweet ride, but it's confused. Anyway, if I'm gonna build a drag car it's going to be a hard top for the extra torsional rigidity, I never liked eyebrows, and I'm going for a bit of a Cal Look to it so the front bumper changes to T-bars.

The first pics I've got of the conversion. Lowered, some body mods, the start of the Turbo Box.

Turbo Box shrunken

3/4 Rear shot.

Mockup of some Wrinklewall slicks on chrome beadlock rims, and a set of pizza cutters up front.

Posing with the new stance.

So, now I've just got to finish making the body perfect, choose a paint scheme, squirt some paint, detail, interior...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Tiny RC Pro

Sweet!! I love Herbie and this drag herbie looks awesome!
Old 12-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Another old modder.

Thumbs up

Beautiful!

My Monster Herbie!

EDIT

I also bought several Herbies, and I also have one kept in package!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Michael.mt2k; 12-31-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Tool User

Thanks guys! Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with 1 piece front windows or leave them the stock 2 piece; 1 piece (on real car) would be lighter and more fitting of the Cal-Look, 2 piece will let me be lazy.

It's not going to stay painted in Herbie livery, it's just been a bit cold to squirt primer. Plus I'm just not really sure what kind of multi color scheme it wants. I've been kicking around something like this http://vwtrendsweb.com/features/0108vwt_power/ or something more blue and white or yellow.

I've seen Monster Herbie and it looks great! I've still got to try and track down some of those Athearn Springs for mine. Herbie 3 & 4 are still in package. (I really like classic Beetles...)
Old 01-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Snake Mod
hey frizzen i was wondering what book that was. Title looked interesting?

Hop-ups could be of some use thx
Old 01-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Tool User

Sorry man, it's not a book. It was the Microsizer's Sport Series "Hop Up Kit". HCAC1314 I just wanted something to help make it stand out on my desk, and it carried off the GREEN background theme.

It had 3 swaybars, the hard rib tire set, a 2.2 motor, and a "high speed" teal (8t idler) gearset. Not exactly blistering performance parts now, but they'll still haul against a stock MS or Bit.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 PM
TinyRC Pro

thats nice is it fast
Old 03-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Jazz32

Where did those wheels come from?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Tool User

It's pretty fast, though the tires don't hook the way I'd like.

Um, I don't remember. It was a diecast willeys funny car, think it was called a "Nitro Coupe", I got at the AutoZone, but I can't find the car and the packaging is long gone. When BitPimps comes back up, I'll check my thread on it there and I can tell you what the donor was.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 PM

on your signature you said "stitting" isn't it sitting? Just a pointer

[color=green]
Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Tool User

Congradulations, you're the first person after several years to notice the extra T in my signature. Now I must create a new Typo-Challenge.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 PM

oooooooo a typo-challenge. fun bwahahahaha

You're snobby but in a sarcastic way, it's hilarious

[color=green]
Old 03-28-2006, 09:50 PM

Hey, by the way thanks for changing it and I believe you did say in another post that "grammer and spelling is a plus on the internet."

[color=green]
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Tool User

It is a plus. I made an error, I was unaware of said error for quite a while; when I was informed of it, I corrected my apparent horribly blatantly obvious f*ckup.

Or perhaps I ment "Plus" in the D&D style, where my posts in this thread have a +6 content, -3 paint, +7 photograpy, +4 body mods, -2 armor, +5 rims, -1 traction, and a 4x hit point multiplier.

And now for making 3 completely NON-RC, VW, or even DragRacing posts in my thread, you ought to atleast make some kind of comment about the actual project. It's kinda customary on a message board.

-
http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0402vwt_saccette/ Vee Dub in da house. Pretuned by German engineers, retuned by American mechanics. (obligitory car post)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:25 AM
TinyRC Pro

Cool

personally i think you should go w/ whatever you would have done if you had a 1/1........

I'm goin for the original cal look............empi style rims for starters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new empi's.jpg (18.3 KB, 57 views)