View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 AM

One of the biggest problems of trying to drift a scale vehicle is that the weight proportions are not scaled. A 2200 lb vehicle would have to weigh 34.375 lbs to accurately represent the vehicles weight in 1/64 scale. At this size it would be rediculous to expect the weight to be properly scaled.

So what we really need to figure out is how the weight is displaced across the vehicle when it's not in motion. This would give us an idea of where to add weight to a ZZSE to allow the proper weight displacement to control a drift.

Using this information I have been doing some serious thinking about how this can be done at ZZSE scale without serious modding.

Please keep in mind that this is all theory. I came into this game late so I don't have everything that would be needed to do extensive testing.

When you drift you are transfering the weight of the vehicle to the front wheels to provide more traction in the front and less traction in the rear. This isn't difficult with a 1:1 vehicle because the engine is usually (but not always the case) in the front of the vehicle.

If we can figure out what the amount of weight we need to add to the front of a ZZSE is to allow the proper amount of weight transfer we can use the following technique to control the drift.

Lift throttle, or Taking In - By closing the accelerator while cornering at very high speeds, cars with relatively neutral handling will begin to slide, simply from the weight transfer resulting from engine braking. The drift is controlled afterwards by steering inputs from the driver and light pedal work, similar to the Braking drift.

Now you will need extremely hard tires in the rear to allow the rear wheels to slide and extremely soft tires in the front to allow for more traction. You may even want to go the extra step of "Trueing" the rear tires so you will have little to no tread.

Depending on the amount of weight added to the front of the ZZSE we may need to stiffen the springs as well.

Some of my concerns are will drifting be possible without a limited slip differential? Is a ZZSE proportional enough to control a drift without a PCB swap? Since PCB swapping is a somewhat common mod around here this doesn't concern me as much.

A stock motor/gear setup should be perfect power/torque wise. Remember it's not how fast you can go when you drift. It's more about being able to start the drift and control it for as long as possible.