View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Hi guys,
I havent been into xmods long and have been hanging out at xmodworld since I have,just found this site. Im glad to see that people over here are trying to get power with the 180s. I have been messing with them myself a little but havent got the results I want yet.
I built a 180 from a colgate tooth brush,trimed the can down so I could fit 130 endcap with carbon brushes and rewound it to 53 raps. It had a little better top end but the torque was not that great . From what im reading here I should go lower with the raps on a 180,didn't know this when I did it.
I think the reason the 180s are not performing is because of the stock magnets. When we take the raps down on these 180s we are killing the torque, we need some stronger mags to bring torque back up substantualy over a 130 and low raps so it will have rps like a 130. Thats what Ive been trying to find ,neo mags for a 180 or even isotropic ferret mags for 180. My thinking is that the colgate 180 has standard ferret mags in it and thet fact that they are longer along with longer armature is what makes it more powerful than 130. when we take raps down we bring power(torque) down closer to a 130 thats why we need mags to balance it back out.
Does anyone here know where to get neodymium mags for 180? Thought about useing four 130 neo mags,two on each side of can with one on each side trimed down so that together they would equal length of 180 mag. Dont know if this would work ,what do some of you think?

On another note, I have a 170 from a panasonic shaver(ES4001) in my car for now. Its a little smaller than a 130 or 180 but the same length as 180. iT Blows the colgate 180 away,it has way more torque but seems to have good rpm. Mine has 8 tooth pinion on it and its still faster than the 180 with 9 tooth pinion plus the170 accelerates way better. sorry post was so long