View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 12:35 AM
Garage Rocker

Rally car gallery

Ok, I'm just starting a rally car gallery to show off my new rally car, but I would like to see other peoples rally cars, and I know they're out there. So let's see your Subies, and Lancers. Heck There is even a Beetle rally car. I that's what I'll make out of the clear body, when I get my Beetle body set

For now I'll start it off with my Peugeot rally car. I bought this Cannonball clone for parts, but before I made it home I had already fallen in love with the idea of making this my rally car. I put the knobbies that came with my Motorworks clone on it. Put the 2-hole sway bar from the hop up kit on it. That raises the front end to clear the slightly oversized offroad tires, and gives the front end a spring-like suspension. I added an air dam I made from a piece of ZZ packageing. It's already a screamer, but this weekend it's getting 2 cells under the body.

I thought a paint blob theme would work well on a rally car. If the blue blobs look a bit contrasting to the graphics, that was my intention. It's supposed to look like there was already a nice graphic job, then I just splashed through a puddle of blue paint. That's the way a good paint blob should be done, in my opinion anyways.

Usually scuffing the body with sandpaper a bit, and then wiping with mineral spirits is more than adequate to get a good bond from the paint, but for some odd reason the clone body refused to take paint. It repeled it, and most ran off. I had to give it a thorough sanding, and even then lay the paint kinda heavy to get it to stick. Despite the set backs, I think I still got a decent job out of it. I hate to be outsmarted by inanimate objects.

I gave the blobs dimension by putting shadows on the bottoms with a blue Sharpie marker, and then since the body plastic is white, I added highlights by scratching them in with an Exacto. You have to be very careful clear coating over marker, and my can of paint was on it's last drops, and started to sputter, so I blurred a couple blobs on the hood a tiny bit, but I'm otherwise real happy with it.