View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM

I spent a good portion of last year testing a variety of plastic and hard surfaces specifically for the upcoming release of the dNaNo. I used a variety of home brew traction compounds ranging from orange juice to apple cider. I poured the contents into a spray bottle and lightly coated the surface. This process yielded great temporary grip for the small scale RC cars, but it had it's major downfall.

Applying the traction compound to the track allowed the tires to become like magnets. The tires became incredibly sticky and would pick up any dust, hair or dirt from the track, just in a few laps. Even the slightest bit of dirt or hair stuck to a dNaNo tire would cause the car to vibrate dramatically. It was so bad, you would need to pick up the car and clean the tires with water or some other substance. After just a few more laps, the car would then become un-drivable again, until cleaning of the tires was completed. The added traction compound would also build up in the small tiny axles and cause the front tires to not spin freely. With the small dNaNo, just the slightest bit of resistance on the front wheels would make the car undriveable in the turns.

Although the traction compound did give the cars great grip, it was short lived after a few laps of the car picking up the dirt and dust. If you can find something that would become sticky on the plastic track, but would not build up on the tires and axles, that would be your best.

Last edited by RCP-Tracks, Inc; 06-04-2009 at 11:02 AM.