Thread: Tire Testing
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Tire Testing

I have not had much time to dedicate to RC lately but I did want to share some quick testing results of Kyosho, PN, and Atomic tires.

To start, RealTracks and the dNaNo tires must be kept clean. Any amount off dust or debris on the tires will significantly affect performance. A damp cloth is all that is required to wipe Down RealTracks. A lightly moistened paper towel or cloth placed flat on a hard surface works well to clean the tires. If you are running FlatTracks it is important to keep your runoff area clean as well. We now use roll up plastic grass looking indoor outdoor carpet and it works great. It has no fibers, does not hold dust on the surface, and you pay a bigger penalty in speed when you go off the track. The stock front dNaNo tires are very hard, usually a 50. They help tame a twitchy low mass car. While the stock tires perform well on a small tight course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDVUqyGsq-Y
,at higher speeds they will under steer on RealTracks when they get dusty. I have tested almost every tire combination of PN, Atomic, and Kyosho with the expected positive results. All of the basic principles apply to making the car handle neutral or slight under steer if you prefer. There is nothing new here. Every car will take a slightly different combo. PN racing offers the widest range of performance to dial in your car on RealTracks. Kyosho does not go soft enough on the front (50, 60) So they will under steer, Atomic does not go hard enough on the front,(25,35) so they will always over steer, even with the softest (08) on the rear. PN has the best offering with (45,55,65) on the fronts and (08,15,20) on the rear. With the Mazda 727 and Porsche 962 a PN 65 front and 08 rear is a good starting place. The car is almost neutral. Under rapid deceleration entering a corning it will slightly over steer with slight rear wheel hop. When accelerating out of corner it will slightly under steer, providing you do not break traction with to much throttle. The PN and Atomic tires appear to have a similar more sticky composition as compared to the less sticky Kyoshos. I thought these sticky tires would be more susceptible to dust, but as it turned out after I intentionally got them dusty the performance was only marginally affected. The PN’s are similar to the kyosho with regard to thickness from wheel to the road surface as compared to the flatter and thinner Atomics. Be sure to wear your glasses when you put the PN's on the rim. I did not initially notice the relief cut in the inside of one edge of the PN tires that allows the tire to slide over the raised inner portion of the rim. They fit very nicely when properly installed. I will take some videos of some track times and skid pad testing in the future.

In conclussion a good starting selection would be PN 55 and 65 fronts with 08 and 15 rears.

Good Luck and please share your results.

Thanks

Last edited by RealTracks; 08-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.