View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
TinyRC Pro

CF corrosion solutions

I just did a successful search on the whole “CF corrosion” issue. I found this website:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=99143&page=1

Basicly it says that you will get almost no galvanic corrosion between aluminum and carbon fiber unless water is present. I don’t think the majority of us would let our cars anywhere NEAR water without a watertight mod of some kind.

However, it also says that any conductive material acting as an intermediary between WILL ALSO allow corrosion to take place. For example, if you have a corrosion-eliminating washer between a CF chassis and an aluminum post, and then you go and stick a conductive metal screw through the carbon fiber and into the aluminum post, you have just introduced a brand-new conductive path for corrosion to take place (even though the aluminum and carbon fiber are physically separated). So you pretty much have to seal up the carbon fiber at any point fasteners would touch to get the proper protection. This also means that, without protection, the Silver Texalium chassis are also at risk from conductive fasteners, even though the aluminum layer and the carbon fiber layer are separated (we hope).

This post also suggests ways to isolate carbon fiber from aluminum safely (although it needs some interpretation). Maybe someone who actually works with CF should contact the guy?