View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 AM

I have tried all sorts of traction additives, but not root beer or any other soft drink on plastic, per se. I will give it a try on some slot car track I have, although it's probably different plastic than your Realtracks.

I have tried sugar water (an old trick if you want to run on a concrete basement floor) and other home-brew concoctions, but never took any of that too seriously, because it is frowned upon in Mini-Z racing and all of the surfaces that I've delt with had enough traction anyway, or if they didn't, foam tires quickly solved the problem.
--
But, if your 'recipe' lasts a week (or let's say a 500+ laps) and is indeed not a sticky mess as I suspected in my earlier post -- then it's certainly worth looking at seriously; especially if Kyosho does indeed release their all-plastic track.

(Could you share the brand of root beer, since there may be variance on different soft drinks.)

Of course if this is for real as you suggest, and it gains acceptance some how, be prepared to be the brunt of some very sharp humour barbs, like:
if I use diet root beer, will I shed some excess time off my laps? How about if I split a two-four of real beer, half for me and half for my track?

And don't tell Kyosho, they will surely re-label the stuff and charge $24 a bottle.
---
Yes, I agree -- I shouldn't discount or condone it until I've tried your exact recipe. And I am guilty of my own rule of not commenting unless having had direct experience. Perhaps because I'm so paranoid of constantly cleaning front ends on these little cars and because I spent the better part of 6 hours tonight trying to cut impossible-to-cut-straight rubber for a track infield.