Thread: Drift Guide
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 11:43 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via AIM to 2fast4u
Thumbs up Drift Guide

due to a large amount of people requesting techniques on drifting i decided to put together a guied for drifting setups and techniques i hope this will end posts about drifting and will help people out.

Now, the first thing to take into consideration is your drifting surface. tile might be a surface you want to stay away from due to the grout in the middle your car will be jumping around. linoleum and hardwood floors are a good drifting platform. it will help if your surface is thouroghly cleaned because debris such as dust will give your tires no grip on the surface and end up in uncontrollable donuts.

Next, tires are an important factor. taped tires or foam tires are taking away from the purpose of drifting you want to go around a turn as fast as possible and REGAIN GOOD TRACTION after doing a drift so the thing is to get good hard slick tires that still have grip.

Breaking defies the purpose of a drift, not only do drifts look good but they are supposed to be done without loosing speed so around the entire turn although sometimes at half throttle the brakes will not be applied and the momentum of the car will help keep the speed.

Suspension is actually not such an important part of a drift simply becaus of the different techniques and styles that people have. sometimes people say that a hard suspension in back and a soft in front is a good setup for drifting. I personally recommend first drifting with stock springs and then adjusting how you think is neccessary.

Gearing and motors are ofcoursethe most important part the gearing usually depends on the motor you can have a motor with a lot of torgue with the blue gearing and it might still spin the tires. i have heard that the spinbrush mod with stronger magnets and a ball bearing can on a drift motor with drift gearing is a very good setup but, once again it is all about the style and technique it all depends on when you want to spin the tires and when you want to come out of the turn.

AWD ive heard that awd makes drifting easier i am not so sure of this since the front wheels will be pulling out of the turn just causing a small skid and not a full whip like we want.

THE DRIFT:
1: come into the turn at full speed
2: let go of the throttle about half way and let the momentum carry you into the turn
3: turn into the turn at half throttle and gun the throttle to spin the tires(this is where your motor and gearing comes in)
4: swing around the turn and at the desired angle let go f the throttle half way again alowing the tires to regain grip
5: slowly accelerate out of the turn

NOTES: counter steering MIGHT turn you out of the turn so i suggest not doing it(you will also need catlike reflexes) hitting the brakes will result in a speed loss which we definately do not want. keep your movement quick yet not agressive (you always want to be in full control) spreading water may damage your electronics. lastly... EXPERIMENT try different setups, surfaces, and techniques and that will help you develop your own style that will be unique.

i hope i helped and if possible maybe this cud be a sticky