View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Hi truckian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckian View Post
My God....I still can't figure out where you people get the patience...
You are right, patience is the main building material. When you build your own gear, expect a mishap now and then and the part which took many hours to make ending up in the trash.

Quote:
I must have tried three times, but gave up each time after finding out how much the parts would cost, or that I would have to order things all the way from Germany.
You got a point there. I only bought the original polysterene model, brass stock, pinions etc., motors, LEDs, and controllers. All the remaining components are homemade, including transmissions and software. I do have the added advantage of living in Germany where module 0.2 pinions etc. are fairly easy to come buy at acceptable shipping costs. Special cements, various types of solder, drill and milling bits and other disposable items add to the bill of materials.

BTW: I just heard that "mikroantriebe.de" will soon open up an English language version of their webshop.

Here is the main gear that went into the trash (gear box, gear frame, split bearings and all -- although everything seems to be running well in this shot):

Maybe you would like to let us know where excatly things did not work out for you -- group members here might be able to point out more successful strategies.

Good luck,

Fred

Last edited by Fred; 05-11-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typos, information added