View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 05:09 AM
TinyRC Pro

IT's ALive! ALIVE!

Well because I couldn't leave well enough alone I started tinkering with that 180 Motor and royaly fudged up the brushes DOH!. Then something hit me (Besides chinese food gas.) I wondered if the 180 motor Rotor would fit inside my old MURA Slot car motor can. The Brushes in that had long since gone to poop, but I remembered from my slot car days that mura motors run in revers too. So I put the 180 rotor in that and it fit! Real GOOD! The distance between the rotor and the Magnets is TINY, makes the spin brush motor look loose. So after I found that out I went up transplanted spinbrush motor Bushings into the MURA housing. The Bushings were still good(actual Brass, not zink coated iron like the action motors and SBP motors), and so was the top hat it was just the brushes that were bad. IF you're wondering why I didn't use the MURA rotor and just replace the bushings well it's because the motor is rated for 12volts (slot car tracks are 12-14 volts). So After some Creative soldering (and burning my fingers) I got the brushes just right YEAH!. I gave it a bit of juice and it spun Woo HOO. So i took the wires and resistors of the OLD 180 motor "top hat" and soldered them onto the MURA motor. Diagnosis... It's Alive. This thing has torque out the yin-yang. Doesn't spin any faster (it is the same rotor after all) the magnets are so close the the rotor that it twists super hard when you gun the throttle. The Magnets are also more than twice as thick as the SBP magnets. The only problem is the Mura can is wider than the Stock can size so I had to fab up new mounts. Some hollow metal "hypo" tube .030" OD i believe some more soldering and Off I went. This thing would haul some serious keister with the 5th cell back in the car... if I could only find a place to put it. I was thinking maybe I'll use a "AAAA" battery as the fifth cell instead of a "AAA" bat they are a bit smaller, but still rated at 1.5v alcaline and 1.2v NiMH Rechargable, better than nothing right... maybe I could squeaze 2 "AAAA's" under the hat. I would definatley have to glue the tires on then...
Clear Tailights just make you easier to spot.
My 4 cylinder has 210 Natural aspirated HP is only 2.3 li, and is 15 years old, and it was built right here in the good ol' USA.