View Single Post
  #3  
Old 03-31-2005, 08:04 AM
chilli_mp138 chilli_mp138 is offline
perpetual newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Terre Haute, Indiana
Posts: 121
Steve--

The 2-mm hex nuts are just a bit loose but seem to tighten adequately on my two MTs, especially with the stock compression washers in place. I'm wondering what a small dot of Locktite might do to secure the connection. Do you know if Locktite is a breakable bond, so the nut can be removed if necessary? I think I'll make that today's exploratory task, as well as look for no. 2 compression washers.

About your wheel weights: Long ago when I was doing N-scale model railroading, we used to pack engines full of lead to give them traction weight. The lead looked like gray angel-hair spaghetti. If that is still available, maybe it could be stuffed in the back side of the MT wheels to give some additional weight. Check at a hobby shop. I'll check mine here in Terre Haute.

Another weighty idea: Move the battery or batteries to the top of the PCB cover and put lead weight in the battery well. Electrical tape should preserve the electrical integrity of the battery well.

Are you thinking about doing the gear changes I mentioned in another response to you? If you do, let us know how it goes. Maybe Rich Nagel could jump in here and provide us with a quick formula for computing ground speed using rpm, gear ratios, and tire sizes? He's computed it elsewhere for stock RS ZZ parts.
Reply With Quote