TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   XMODS (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Outside wear & tear (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17422)

teamdeadbunny 01-12-2004 10:56 AM

Outside wear & tear
 
My Skyline has spent most of it's life in the lap of luxury, jetting about on hardwoods, low pile carpet, and other indoor smooth surfaces.

I have taken it outdoors, but ran it on one of those super smooth polished concrete surfaces when I did.

This weekend I took it across the street to the empty parking lot there for some fun and to try the Stage 2 motors out. The lot is pretty smooth for concrete, but not polished. The section divisions have some roughness to them and there is some light gravel and sand. Pretty good area I thought for some fun.

So, I spent a set of batteries hauling booty around the lot, and picked the car up to change the batteries and was shocked at how badly it had gotten abused during the ride.

My rear shock depressions both were scraped down and the hump back there was also quite scratched. The front of the car's bumper was also totally scratched up. I was running medium shocks all around and the stock wheels/tires at this time with no body kit.

Are your cars this beat to hell after 30 or 45 minutes of playing outside?

skeeter149 01-12-2004 11:16 AM

mine is pretty done. i cracked the front. to protect the shock depressions try making a skid plate search and you will find. i only ride on rough road so i expect damage. but anyway i fried my board gotta replace. take care:cool:

theMonster 01-12-2004 11:22 AM

yep
 
Ground clearance is an issue. The underside of mine is totally scuffed up and the spring indentions are worn down too. I don't worry too much about it though. I think that happened on blacktop and I'm not running on blacktop any more. Concrete only.

teamdeadbunny 01-12-2004 11:53 AM

Have you worn your shock indentions thru where the shocks poke thru? I was worried about that happening.

The body damage I can live with, but if the chassis gets fried I am going to be SOL.

theMonster 01-12-2004 04:33 PM

no poke
 
Haven't poked through yet, I quit running on blacktop, but if you have no option but to run on blacktop or some other uneven/harsh surface, then you may want to get a tube of super-sculpey, so you can fix it in the event that it does poke through.

teamdeadbunny 01-12-2004 04:55 PM

Somewhere someone suggested using a few thin metal washers on the points that scrape once they get bad enough that the washer's height would not be any more than the plastic was in the first place.

Sort of your skid plate idea only more locallized.

I'm going to look at it and see if I can determine how to protect it more, but I think it's part of using and XMOD more than anything.

itsme 01-12-2004 05:24 PM

...
 
That's a hell of an idea!*not sarcastic*

theMonster 01-12-2004 06:00 PM

maybe
 
maybe if the metal washers were to drag every now and then, you could make sparks shoot out from the rear of it??? I may be onto something cool here.....heh heh heh

Kubrel 01-12-2004 07:14 PM

CLEARANCE!!!!!!
 
I put up a post a few days ago. YOu can take your stock slicks and actually stretch them around another pair of tires it gives a little more clearance. I have been testing this and it sems to work ok I haven't tested on concrete but it sure goes on carpet now w/ 2wd.

charliebrown 01-12-2004 07:23 PM

Ahhhhh.....the broken hearted darkness of shattering Xmods....

Inside, my chassis is aight, but the body has had more crashes and bruises than Bad Company's. She has been shattered with the crashes of fury, the genocide (I don't even know what the heck that word means) of speed, the.....oh, forget the drama. Basically, she's damaged. I will post a pic ASAP, I just need to get a digital camera.

Chuckster...

theMonster 01-12-2004 07:50 PM

Genocide
 
(not directly from Webster) Genocide is the extermination of a group of people, usually a race or a religious sect, so uness you're a Nazi (not that there's anything wrong with that) then a better choice of words may have been used.

aperson 01-12-2004 08:39 PM

Re: Genocide
 
Quote:

Originally posted by theMonster
(not directly from Webster) Genocide is the extermination of a group of people, usually a race or a religious sect, so uness you're a Nazi (not that there's anything wrong with that) then a better choice of words may have been used.
if you say so... ill post some pics of my civic when i find some batts.

Railside270 01-12-2004 11:52 PM

I run my car outdoors all the time! The first time i went to drive it outside, the rear suspension "knobs" started to get worn so i fabricated a skid plate out of a 2-liter bottle. I haven't gotten much damage since i started using the skid plate. It really helps.:D

Shiporu 01-13-2004 02:34 AM

beat up? my civic is...
 
hey everyone. My civic is really beat up.... I race it with me friends on the asphlat outside. We play tag. We play chicken. Then we play HEAD-ON collisions....Our stock parts are all shot.

After reading a thread that Railslide wrote, I go full speed and hit the reflector things on the road....WOW I can do barrel rools in air now...not like before, just on the asphalt. So, my civic is beat up. but I covered it up with paint so it looks nice now.

I will bang it up 'cause I am getting new xmod sent to my house. I will take pics of the beat up civic when I beat it like before...

teamdeadbunny 01-13-2004 10:32 AM

I dunno aboot the sparks from the washers but who knows.

As far as demolition derby action... If I had the money to spend it could be fun to try tricks and stunts with mine as well. However I am not raking in the cash so I am trying to be somewhat careful with mine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.