TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Tiny RCs (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Monster truck conversio (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10229)

MaddMatt 04-10-2003 09:09 AM

Monster truck conversio
 
All:

I was wondering the mall the other day and enterred the local KB toys. They had a small (1/24th?) Nikko monster truck on sale for $19.99 and a larger (1/12?) Nikko truck for $29.99 so I picked them up.

The little one uses 4.8 volt packs and the big one uses 6 volt packs. Neither one can turn worth anything and I got to wondering......

Has anyone tried pulling the electronics out and putting in a servo, ESC and receiver? It could be a cheap way to have a little fun with extra electronics.

I plan on attacking this soon but would love some insight from others who have attempted this.

Madd Matt

---------------
Matthew J Walter
Madd Matt's Entertainment
www.maddmatts.com

Lord_Nick_D 04-11-2003 06:04 PM

i thought of that two while back but I dont have a radio
you would have a fully proportional car then and you could also add more batteries to make it go faster withought any wory of frying the controler
I put my 7.2V race pack on a tyco revolver at it was amazingly fast and just so much fun untill I broke it

MaddMatt 04-12-2003 07:40 AM

any more input
 
I realize that it's a small price to pay for science but does anyone else have any input?

On the one hand, if something breaks, I could just spend $20 to get an entire new truck for spares. It is unlikely that the electronics would be harmed so they could always be reused.

On the other hand, it is a $20 truck. You can add nice tires and leather seats to a Yugo but in the end it is still a Yugo.


hmmmmmm...

Lord_Nick_D 04-12-2003 12:25 PM

do it man and put on a 7.2V race pack and let the car rip it will do wheelies and you will have tons of fun with it just dont run it to long and you wont burn out the motor and you can chose a speed controler for a 1/10th scale car so it will be fine too
shock mount everything inside
if you want I bet you could even put in a bigger motor
you would probly stip the gears eventually but have a super fast car

MaddMatt 04-13-2003 08:01 AM

further explain my idea
 
All:

to further explain my idea, I am not after a super fast truck or the best hill climber or whatever. I would just like to have some "cheap" fun.

The trucks I picked up both have a flat pan-like tray for the electornics so mounting everything shouldn't be too hard. Likewise it shouldn't be too hard to rip it all out when the thing breaks down. For $20 I can throw it into a new one.

Kind of a disposable RC truck! If anything goes wrong you can try to fix it or just drop $20 and swap electronics. I will probably start working on this in the next few weeks. I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, let me know about any ideas

Lord_Nick_D 04-14-2003 03:01 PM

in that case I cannot quite see the point of it if it already has the electronics in it and they work why replace them
and for $20 you can just replace the whole truck and it will be ready to run right out of the box
unless you care trying to increase performance thiers now point maby having porportional control but its still a $20 car with $100 electronics inside it

MaddMatt 04-14-2003 03:48 PM

it's all about the steering
 
It is a $20 truck and it runs ok out of box except for the steering which absolutely sucks. I need something better than a 15 foot turning radius :)

The only way I know how to do that is with a new servo but the new servo won't hook up to the old electronics.

You may be right.... All this for $20 truck?

I may rethink this thing after all

Madd Matt

Lord_Nick_D 04-14-2003 08:08 PM

yeah I get what your saying now but if you upgrade the hadaling you might aswell upgrade the drive train too which is what I was suggesting

or you could buy a 1/10th rc truck/car

killer 04-28-2003 10:33 AM

:ö: check some of my work here...

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=5

:)

killer 04-28-2003 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:ö: it's a 1/32 tamiya wild mini-4wd... but it's only 2wd as of now and i'm working on my next 1/32 all-wheel-drive project rc truck.
;)

killer 04-28-2003 10:40 AM

on top of my hand!
 
1 Attachment(s)
;)

killer 04-28-2003 10:43 AM

internals...
 
1 Attachment(s)
;)

MaddMatt 04-28-2003 01:19 PM

very nice
 
Wow!

You really crammed the electronics in there. What batteries are you using in there?

Thanks for the pictures on your hand. I would've thought it was much bigger.

Madd Matt

Lord_Nick_D 04-28-2003 05:41 PM

wow nice how is it speed wise?
I saw a wheelie bar on there
looks good

killer 04-29-2003 03:14 AM

:ö:
thanks MadMatt,
the batteries i'm using here are 2x 3pcs of wireless phone batteries, that gives out 7.2V w/ 300MaH of power, i was suppose to use Li-ion batteries, but they are so light!, with a slight pull on the trigger, the wheel would spin, and do donuts wild :eek:! ( i modified the gearings too, to improve the speed )
-æ

:ö:
Lord_Nick_D,
the wheelie bar there serves well, the truck wheelies on demand, from standing start, jerk the throttle to full power and it will lift it's front wheels like it's 1:1 monster truck counterpart!, do the same procedure on sand or soft dirt track, the truck will give a good rooster tail while trying to lift it's front wheels:cool:, about the speed, with the modified gears, the truck has the speed of a stock mini-z racer, in an off-road track, but if i wanted to do trial course, i'll just place back the stock gear set-up and the truck could crawl up to almost anything in it's path.
-æ


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.