TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   XMODS Mods and Projects (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   260 motors: Finding that perfect combo (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17936)

neurokinetik 01-30-2004 05:50 PM

260 motors: Finding that perfect combo

I'm working on finding that perfect combo of speed and torque, this time starting out with the Hoppin' Hydros Big Bad Johnson motor, which is a 260 type. It will fit easily in the XMods chassis with only slight modification needed. FET upgrade is mandatory, with this motor drawing 1.3A stock. It has 22 turns of 26Ga wire.

First combo I tried was 12 turns of 22Ga, which drew 6A, but I didn't do the winding properly, so the motor was slow and the current number kind of meaningless.

Next combo I tried was 25 turns of 26Ga. It drew 800mA, and wasn't all that fast.

For tonight's attempt, I tried a 12 turn double, using 26Ga. Now this one sounded pretty nice, and was drawing a beefy 2.5A, with no load. As the brushes were breaking in, it was picking up speed, but during testing, it went from full speed to dead stop instantly, stopping so violently that it flew out of my hand. In my haste, I had forgotten to go and double-check all the connections at the commutator and make sure they were solid. One came loose while the motor was at full speed causing it to throw a wind and stop. http://users.adelphia.net/~neurokinetik/doh.gif

Oh well, time to take all the wire off and wind it again. I'm debating whether to stick with the last setup or retry the 12 turn 22Ga single, and wind it properly this time. Or maybe I should just go to Hobbytown, pick up another of these for $5, and try both.

theMonster 01-30-2004 07:58 PM

he he

It would've been funny to see the motor go flying and the expression on your face. Ever consider making a blooper-reel like they did for Bill Nye? That was pretty funny, especially when he lit his labcoat on fire and didn't notice, then went running around in circles screaming "oh -hit!!" over and over again.

xxspeednplayaxx 01-30-2004 09:32 PM

hey neuro good find eh... im currently messin with a team orion (dont think my cars fet's are ready for my hoppin hydros) anyway with the orion i cant fit more than 20t of the 26G wire, whats your secret??? hopefuly ill have beter luck tomm...

for my 260 motor im gunna do a double 16T of 24 guage.. this aughta be a true test to the fets i ordered (from neuros mod) id rather get more torque out of it because at 14.4V (eventually) it should have all the speed it needs seeing as its a 2.4v motor

lol a cooling fan i in order!

neurokinetik 01-30-2004 10:35 PM

Well, I just got done winding 13 turns of 22Ga. Results are not as good as the 12 turn double. The motor spins up more slowly, and doesn't quite reach the same top speed as the 12 turn double did. It is close, but not good enough. It draws slightly less current, at 2.1A.

Time to redo the double again, or else try an 8 turn triple. I seriously doubt I'd be able to keep the wires on the comm if I wind a triple, though. A double is hard enough.

Silent_NightR34 01-31-2004 12:03 AM

i found a nice place online for these things if you dont have a hobby shop that sells them... http://shop.store.yahoo.com/locsters/spareparts.html

they have like 4 or 5 different styles of tourqy motors..

xxspeednplayaxx 01-31-2004 10:38 AM

first off since 260 motors seem to be the future of xmod motors ( XMOD SCIENCE ) anyway with a double, you simply are using 2 wires at the same time, are they twisted together? also whats the best combo youve come up with so far, is it the 12 double of 26g or is their a new killer combo?

neurokinetik 02-01-2004 01:58 PM

When winding a double, you do not twist the wires together. You want them laying side-by-side. Best I've done so far is that 12 turn double.

xxspeednplayaxx 02-01-2004 04:31 PM

lol i tried, and i only was able to fit 10t double...i need practice

Xis 02-02-2004 03:35 AM

I jus ripped open an old car i used to have "The Invader" and i'm tryin to put th motor in but th pinion's too small:mad: its a mabuchi or somthin i dont kno the specs on it but i'm pretty sure its not that good though.

TonkaTone1 02-06-2004 03:37 PM

Stock Orion with a 20 tooth pinion

Hey Neuro,

I found a 20 tooth pinion make by a company called Plastruct. Its a nylon gear mounted on a brass collar with a set screw. The pitch is perfect but getting it to fit is a little challenging. The hole for the drive shaft is a little large so I made sleeve from brass 3/16 tubing. With the Orion Stock Elite and four IC3 batteries, its faster than anything I've come across yet. To fit the bigger pinion, the motor sits about 1/4 inch higher in the chasis. If your looking into a bigger motor, without higher RPMs, this pinion is worth checking out. I haven't done anything to my Elite motors, one has the 20 tooth and the other has the 13, both work great.

Skyline
Mini-z Calsonic Body
Team Orion Stock Elite Motor
20 tooth pinion
Inverted wheels

Next Mods.....
Lithium batteries
Lifted Servo for better turning radius

boxcrash 02-07-2004 02:06 AM

Re: Stock Orion with a 20 tooth pinion

Quote:

Originally posted by TonkaTone1
Hey Neuro,

I found a 20 tooth pinion make by a company called Plastruct. Its a nylon gear mounted on a brass collar with a set screw. The pitch is perfect but getting it to fit is a little challenging.

Skyline
Mini-z Calsonic Body
Team Orion Stock Elite Motor
20 tooth pinion
Inverted wheels

Next Mods.....
Lithium batteries
Lifted Servo for better turning radius

Nice...
Hey you have a Cal Z body XMod too???
mine..........
http://www.boxcrash.com/images/xmod/1024_in_motion.jpg

Desslok 02-07-2004 09:38 PM

How are you mounting that 260 ?

I was over at my lhs and almost picked up the big bad johnson motor. It looked quite a bit 2 wide.
I am wondering if you wouldnt mind posting a pic of how your mounting that motor in your car's. thx

boxcrash 02-07-2004 11:15 PM

Yeah I mounted one and this is my first mount attempt after the creation of the motor mount was sompleted, so it has not been finialized in this picture just tested during creation process..
http://www.boxcrash.com/images/xmod/000_0116.jpg

Also my rear mount was under construction at the time, which I just used screws to pull it down at this time here and to run it for testing.

Desslok 02-07-2004 11:21 PM

260 motor fit.

ahh so it will fit inbetween the stock batt holders.. ok I will pick it up then the mount I can fab up with somthing thx!!

TonkaTone1 02-08-2004 01:46 AM

20 tooth pinion

1 Attachment(s)
Great picture of the big motor in there, do you see any flex of the rear end with out the top brace. To fit the bigger pinion, I had to lift the Orion motor up almost a quarter of an inch and I tried to run without the brace but the torque would twist the rear end and affect the handling. Heres the 20 tooth pinion.