TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   XMODS Parts and Hop-Ups (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   FWD XMOD!! YES! Front Wheel Drive!! (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14504)

MicroRCracer 11-02-2003 02:49 PM

FWD XMOD!! YES! Front Wheel Drive!!

1 Attachment(s)
Another thing a Mini-Z will never have...
This is for those interested in converting your Xmod into a FWD. Yes, front wheel drive!! Now, I have three XMod Supras!! AWD, RWD, and now front wheel drive. I love all of the different drive characteristics that they have!!

Here is what you ahave to do.. I used the 5 yellow bushings for spacers to replace the rear diff.. It's amazing of how much low end front wheel drive torgue the car has epecially racing on carpet. Reminds me of the real import Honda dragsters take off when racing for 1/4 mile time on a track. Handling handles just like a real FWD car, kinda like an RSX or Civic.

Please refer to the picture below..:p

wasuri 11-02-2003 02:57 PM

CREATIVE!! MAD PROPS!!! If i get a revell body crx im going to make it FWD just to simulate the real thing....mad props man!!

Bad Company 11-02-2003 03:21 PM

Good work. After that, all you did was install the front end of the AWD kit? Did you have to do anything different?

4G63T 11-02-2003 03:59 PM

cool:eek: :)

cyrc 11-02-2003 04:08 PM

awsome!!!

Bad Company 11-02-2003 04:29 PM

I think I'm going to do this to one of my Civics. It would make it more realistic, and I'm looking foreward to seeing how different it handles.

TypeZer0 11-02-2003 04:54 PM

people have done this before. i know i have. i suggest the limited slip ball diff up front. oh yeah, u know those pins that holds on the front wheels that you gotta remove to fit in the AWD kit? try fitting it on the rear wheels instead.

Alex 11-02-2003 07:48 PM

damnit i thought about this and posted it on MZR.com and someone took the idea! crap..

_revhards13 11-02-2003 09:06 PM

No, you dont need the bushings mine is running fine fwd without the bushings... lol... waht a poonkall you have to do is put the little bar back in

token5gtd 11-02-2003 09:30 PM

haha, thats sweet, im def gonna do that to one of my rsx's and civics

Nathan 11-02-2003 10:57 PM

If you've ever dropped the clutch anywhere above 2000 RPMs in a real FWD car, you know how the traction is:D . I drive a civic- I know.

I've seen FWD dragsters too-I'd like to know how they do it.

My FWD XMOD cracks me up. It does some mad burnouts in my garage, and even understeered into a wall:D .

_revhards13 11-02-2003 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nathan
If you've ever dropped the clutch anywhere above 2000 RPMs in a real FWD car, you know how the traction is:D . I drive a civic- I know.

I've seen FWD dragsters too-I'd like to know how they do it.

My FWD XMOD cracks me up. It does some mad burnouts in my garage, and even understeered into a wall:D .

its a RF... very strange and not in any real car in the world closest to it is a MF... which is extremley rare!

FF=Front engine FWD
FR=Front engine RWD
MF=Midengine FWD
MR=Midengine RWD
RF=RearEngine RWD

MicroRCracer 11-03-2003 12:44 AM

[quote]Originally posted by TypeZer0
people have done this before. i know i have. i suggest the limited slip ball diff up front. oh yeah, u know those pins that holds on the front wheels that you gotta remove to fit in the AWD kit? try fitting it on the rear wheels instead. [/QUOTE

Ive already used the front stock gear diff for drag racing, but i recommend using the ball diff for better handling. Either way is OK depending on what type of FWD racing you are going to do. And, oh yeah, Ive tried using the two pins at first and dont recommend it.. With your idea Ive noticed that there's too much freeplay with the wheels and didnt want the hassle to find other spacers to support the pins to the wheels to prevent the wheeble-wobble of having an unbalanced rotating tire(s).. Plus, its a hassle when you want to switch over to AWD or RWD. My way so far is the most convenient way (since it just replaces the rear diff) along with having the rear rotational stability of the wheels.;)

TypeZer0 11-03-2003 06:12 AM

i think you mean use the stock gear diff for better handling cuz the limited slip is the ball diff

Murcielago659 11-03-2003 12:08 PM

I'm still trying to figure out WHY you would want a fwd ANYTHING.