TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   ABC DTM SP (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   cheap dtm sp? (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13597)

cdog4w 10-06-2003 01:02 PM

cheap dtm sp?

I was wondering if $35 + S/H would be a good deal on an ABC DTM SP? I just got a mini-x so I'd probably use those electronics. I'm probably not going to buy it now since I just got started with the X, but it seemed like a great deal for what I assume is a better chassis than the x? (would you say that its an upgrade from the X chasis?) If you're wondering, they don't sell the X4, much less have it on sale.

2000-redrider 10-07-2003 05:35 PM

I think that's a great deal. I'd pick one up but I already have one. I could always use another for parts though.

cdog4w 10-07-2003 10:06 PM

I'll post the site after I finish wrestling with this moral delimma (since they have limited stock and I wanted to grab one if I can and it makes sense : ), but I wanted to ask how the SP would run on Mini-X electronics? Has anyone tried it? I figure ~$40 for a sweet upgrade/alternative to my X would be a good investment even though I've just started. I wouldn't complain much about having a 4WD and a faster 2WD :P

I think my friend is going to buy in soon, he just got a job back at the evil empire mothership (MS, they certainly pay well) so he'll have money in about a month.

I guess I'm basically trolling for affirmation so that I can justify another small chunk of money after my layout on the Mini-X :D My other temptation is to see how the XMods pan out since $50 would get me a second whole vehicle.

2000-redrider 10-08-2003 02:44 AM

My understanding is that the mini-x electronics will work on the DTM-sp (haven't tried personally). If I were you, I'd get the SP. Unless you plan to run both cars at the same time you can just swap the electronics back and forth.

I think I know the site your talking about but I won't say anything. I hate to ruin anything for you.

cdog4w 10-08-2003 02:50 AM

Haha thanks. I'm sure you found it exactly the same way I did too. I'll try to decide tomorrow in case anyone else might be interested. How does the SP run on somewhat rough ground? The place most convenient to me is asphalt so its not a smooth ride. Its a playground for a small elementary school.

2000-redrider 10-08-2003 12:29 PM

I don't think the SP is well suited for rough surfaces. It doesn't have a lot of ground clearance in the front end. This coupled with its small wheels may make difficult to drive bumpy surfaces.

cdog4w 10-08-2003 05:26 PM

Thanks for the additional input, I think you just saved me $35+ S/H :P For those interested, larrysperformancercs.com had the deal which I found off of ebay.

Lust is a whore sometimes :)

2000-redrider 10-09-2003 01:51 AM

Sorry to hear that you decided not to get the SP. It really is a good car. I hope I didn't mislead you with my comments though. The SP will handle just as well as any other sub 1/18 scale car on the same surface. It's just that as a whole 1/24 cars arent made for bumpy surfaces. I think that if where your running is good enough for the mini-x, it'll be good enough for the SP.

cdog4w 10-09-2003 02:38 AM

Nah, its OK. I guess if it can be found at this price point now, it can be later. I think I'll concentrate on what I have, as tempting as a second upgrade chasis would be. Besides, I need to order some extra parts that I didn't grab the first time, like some OL tires, the mini-x nut driver (since its very specific) etc.

Random question, people mentioned that I would need to fet my mini-x ESC if I wanted to run a 180 in the DTM SP, but I guess it would handle the 130 that comes with it. My question is what exactly does adding fets do for the ESC aside from add the capability handle larger current demands? I thought I saw someone mention that keeping everything else in the car unchanged, that adding FETS increased their speed. So did I mis-remember/mis-read this? Thanks.

SuperPede1 10-15-2003 03:40 PM

Adding fets will increase your speed, how much faster you go depends on what kind of fets you use and how many you stack.

KevBit 11-17-2003 07:31 AM

Can you tell us the site you found it on? Im very interested in this!

cdog4w 11-17-2003 11:10 AM

check my post 4 up :P

dunno if they still have them in stock, but the link i have is
http://www.larrysperformancercs.com/...=2&prevstart=0

2000-redrider 11-17-2003 11:29 AM

Kevbit, they don't have them on their site anymore. I guess everyone snatched them up. If your interested, I have a DTM X-4 for sale. It's brand new in the box for $65 (+ shipping). For $70, I'll throw in a "like new" GPM high torque motor. The motor has less than 10 min of run time on it.