TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   XMODS (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Vaseline? (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15566)

MattH 11-28-2003 08:07 AM

The stock bearings are heavily greased and they also happen to be open or non-shielded bearings. The problem with the grease is that it is so thick it actually slows the bearings down and dirt also sticks to it which will cause the bearings to seize. So, the degreasing of the stock bearings provides to advantages: the bearings will spin much faster (your car will be faster) and, two, they will be much less likely to seize up.

xmodsupra 11-28-2003 12:22 PM

cool ill grab some stp at work

MattH 11-28-2003 09:20 PM

I just realized I misspoke in my last post. When I referred to the "stock bearings," I meant the RadioShack XMODS upgrade bearings--as opposed to an aftermarket set from some other company. There are actually no stock bearings in the XMODS. The XMODS come with plastic bushings.

Freedom Rider 11-29-2003 09:42 AM

Re: Vaseline?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by viperkilla
I seem to be running out of the gear grease that comes with the AWD kit. Would it be okay to use vaseline instead? What else would be good as gear grease?
Don't use vaseline. If it gets cold it will harden and mess your car up. I didn't use the grease either because anywhere you race, you're bound to have dust or dirt. And grease likes to attract dust and dirt, thus screwing up your gears.

SonicKuz 11-29-2003 02:23 PM

But there shouldn't be gears in the ball differentials for the AWD kits (I don't own one though). Inside the differentials there are very small planetary gears or balls that kind bind up pretty easily, and they are not exposed like a pinion gear would be. Plus the grease can slow down the action if you want.

aperson 11-29-2003 02:33 PM

its ok to grease the differentials but make sure to put a little in the ends to attract any dirt/dust so it doesnt get inside the diff.

Lucid Dreams 11-29-2003 09:29 PM

the diff. that comes in the awd kit is ball bearing


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.