TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Blogs > Color0's Micro RC Blog

Color0's Micro RC Blog -- A technical brain dump from the mind of yours truly...
Rate this Entry

1 More Point! Box Stock Mini-Z Tuning

Posted 02-19-2012 at 07:45 PM by color0
Updated 07-29-2012 at 04:09 PM by color0
In response to the last article, mugler writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler
I think there is one more thing that can be played with which is screwing or unscrewing the rear shock shaft to its bottom post mount and changing rear droop. If you can comment on the effect, that'll be great!
Of course, he is referring to the stock top shock that comes with MR-02 and MR-03 chassis kits:

The way this shock is assembled is similar to the way a "normal" oil shock is assembled, with a shock shaft screwing into the shock end. The "piston", in this case though, is the head of the screw that you put through the shock "body" (open-ended, it's not a real oil damper) and then into the screw end. The shock "shaft" is short enough that if you screw it all the way in (as the cars come from the factory), you'll end up with a preloaded spring on the top shock with the cars at running weight, i.e. zero droop.

So what mugler is asking is whether or not loosening up this screw -- increasing rear droop to more than 0 -- will improve the handling; and I think that depends on the way you drive as well as the tires you're using on the car. If you're using the kit tires that come with Mini-Z's, I imagine that more rear droop might be quite welcome! Kit tires are not exactly grippy, except for a few batches of the newer cars. If you're using a good tire combo though that has good rear grip but not enough front grip, I imagine you would want to reduce the rear droop to zero. As I mentioned before in my "rebound spring" discussion, you would want the rear wheels to lift right off the ground in this case to put more pressure on the front tires, giving you more steering.

So in the case of Box Stock at Kenon -- which uses PN 25 Slick front tires and PN 8 Radial rear tires -- I imagine that loosening the shock shaft for droop will not be necessary, as we're always looking for more steering with this tire combo!
Total Comments 0

Comments