TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Blogs

Color0's Micro RC Blog -- A technical brain dump from the mind of yours truly...
Old

Addendum: High-Grip vs. Low-Grip Tire Mounting

Posted 02-01-2009 at 05:41 PM by color0
Updated 03-08-2011 at 09:37 AM by color0
Really short post this time because I have a bunch of schoolwork to deal with, but nevertheless I found out something this weekend.

I mentioned last week that when mounting tires, try not to get glue on the sidewall because it reduces traction. Turns out, that only helps on low-grip tracks. I took my mounted tires to RCKenon (a very high-trip track) and they shredded up.

Grant M. (PN Racing driver) showed me the trick to consistent traction on high-grip tracks: putting...
TinyRC Pro
Posted in Tips and Tricks
Old

Tire Tips: Mounting, Rotation, Tricks, etc.

Posted 01-23-2009 at 08:43 PM by color0
This week I'm just covering some tips I've picked up and figured out myself over the last year regarding tires.

Mounting tires: if you're a casual racer you don't really have to care about this, but for the semi-serious racer, of if you're losing tires on the track, then properly mounting tires is a must.

There are a few ways to mount tires, but as far as I know, they boil down to 1) tape, 2) glue, and 3) tape + glue. In any case, the most important part of mounting...
TinyRC Pro
Posted in Tips and Tricks
Old

Picking Tires for Your Mini-Z Pt. 2

Posted 01-18-2009 at 06:29 AM by color0
As promised, this week we'll be covering choosing the best front tires for your on-road Mini-Z.

Picking front tires, as I've learned in the last year, is not just about getting the stickiest rubber your car can stand and working the setup around it. Excessively grippy front tires 1) make your car prone to spinning out and 2) produce extra scrub, which slows down your car mid-corner even if you're not spinning out. Of course, not having enough front grip means you'll understeer,...
TinyRC Pro
Posted in Setup Guides
Old

My New Job: Picking Tires for Your Mini-Z Pt. 1

Posted 01-10-2009 at 03:19 AM by color0
Updated 03-08-2011 at 09:38 AM by color0
Ok, that title's only slightly misleading, but really only slightly. From now on I'll be a sort of "staff writer" here so I'll have a lot to write about. I plan to focus mainly on technical aspects of 1/28 cars, as that's what I play with.

Onto the main topic of this article, which is picking tires for your Mini-Z. Part 1, which is this article, will cover only the rear tires for on-road. I assume you are picking tires for going to the track. Yes, I'm only covering that...
TinyRC Pro
Posted in Setup Guides