TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Blogs > Color0's Micro RC Blog

Color0's Micro RC Blog -- A technical brain dump from the mind of yours truly...
Rate this Entry

Drifting - A Couple Demos

Posted 03-07-2009 at 03:14 AM by color0
Updated 03-08-2011 at 09:36 AM by color0
Hi everyone, back to drifting for this week.

So I finally got some time to get some video on Wednesday, and so I recorded a couple examples of me drifting my nearly-stock MA010.

Example 1: Feint drift

As I explained in the drifting guide, a feint drift is a very effective approach to start a drift, if you can get the timing and magnitudes correct. Here's a short clip (click on pic for video):

You might not even notice the feint at all from a distance -- it's a really small action, and especially at high speeds, a little feint is all you need to quickly throw your car into a nice wide drift. Here's the sequence: 1) really small flick to the outside, 2) small flick back inside, 3) and 4) make whatever corrections you need.

Large or erratic steering motions at high speed are usually ineffective, as the input is dulled a lot by the plastic tires. So the feint drift is useful, once mastered, to get the car turning without needing to use a lot of steering input. You also don't have to use the brake, so if it's a really fast, wide drift, the feint approach allows you to hit it at full throttle, with as much angle as the car can handle.

Example 2: Following the Line

Like it or not, we aren't perfect. Good drifting is made by frequent corrections, and that's really just a matter of practice. (Click on pic for video)

There are way too many corrections made in that one turn to explain via pictures, but take a really close look at the clip and see where the angle of the car subtly changes. The largest two corrections were made in the following places:

Near the apex, the car seemed like it was going to turn in too sharply, so I applied a little countersteer. But nearing the exit, it was pushing wide so I steered inwards just a bit to keep the car following the cones. When you've figured out the visual signals that your car gives you mid-turn (only comes with practice) you'll be able to correct your car's radius and angle on the fly to accurately follow whatever racing line you're on.

Example 3: Making Corrections

Just another example of making corrections to point the car where you want it to go. As you'll notice when watching this one, I'm far from perfect. Try to find all the places where I purposely made corrections to change my path, and all the places where I messed up. (Click pic for video)

Example 4: Underpowered Drifting

If you have a low-powered motor in your AWD, you may not have enough wheelspeed to effortlessly hold wide-radius drifts. But that doesn't mean you can't do it with enough effort and practice. My MA010 has a Kyosho box-stock motor and the lowest gear ratio, but with careful corrections it can hold wide drifts like the best (well, maybe not as fast). (Click pic for video)

Just remember to hold the line accurately before worrying about the car's angle. Look again at the video clip -- the drift angle is noticeable. As long as you're quick and smooth with the corrections it'll stay that way and you'll get your cool points, even with an underpowered car.

Next week -- a short one on Mini-Z bodies for racing!
Total Comments 0

Comments