PDA

View Full Version : ¤ Upgrade your TTTT ESC ¤

killer
03-17-2003, 02:55 AM
:ö:

After successfully converting your servo electronics to function as an ESC for your 1/87 rc TTTTruck (Overlander's thread) , you will notice that everytime you turn "on" your truck or when your truck fall from a course, you have to adjust the pot or the trimmer on the truck, i found this website which is very helpfull and i would advice everyone to do this simple "upgrade" i've tried/tested it myself (on my truck that is! :D ) and it works really great!, co'z instead of a 5k ohm pot or trimmer to be replaced on the stock potentiometer, replace it with a 2pcs.a series of 2.2k ohm resistor... this automatically eliminates the need for you to find the zero point, co'z when you fit this 2 resistor, "it is already on zero point"..and a two pieces resistor is smaller than the smallest multi-channel trimmer, and once installed, all you need to do is "adjust your transmitter" it's like programming your transmitter to accept a new ESC :cool:, just follow the last part of the instruction wherein they replaced the POT with resistor, that's all you need to follow... but read it carefully.

here is the site:

http://www.dprg.org/projects/1998-04b/

i hope this help! ;)

arch2b
04-13-2003, 12:03 AM
thanks for the pictures, they really help. the servo conversion and upgrade is the last thing i have to do regarding electronics.

another question- where the servo motor wires comes off the pcb, which one is pos. and which one is neg.? or does it even matter?

killer
04-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by arch2b
thanks for the pictures, they really help. the servo conversion and upgrade is the last thing i have to do regarding electronics.

another question- where the servo motor wires comes off the pcb, which one is pos. and which one is neg.? or does it even matter?

:ö:

sorry, i forgot which one is the pos. ... does it even matter?.. it's not a big deal, if you are talking about the wires from the servo to your motor.. all you have to do is test your motor first if it runs on the direction you want it to run before you install it on your truck ;)

arch2b
04-13-2003, 01:58 PM
killer- haven't seen those pics in here yet...

just so i get this right, i took pictures of the pcb disconnected from the housing/pot.

you have used 2 resistors in your mod, which i plan to do as well. i got 5.6k resistors this morning. however, there are three points- one to which the existing resisitor is soldred and the two remaining points to which the pot was soldered by the red wires.

i can see where you installed one resistor(the one with the long 'l' bend-top and right) to each point to which the red wires were. the other resistor is installed to the point which the existing resistor was soldered (left) and is soldered to which point?

i can't follow the other instructions as it's not clear what the center/top and bottom leads are? there are two leads on the left side corners of the pcb and one on the right side corner.

o.k., i've spent some time looking carefully at all this. i assume the center point he is refering to is the point on the pcb where the existing resisitor connects to the upper center point on the pot. so, one resistor would be soldered to this point and one of the points to which the a red wire is attached and another resistor is soldered from the same first point of the existing reisitor to the other connection point of the other red wire. i hope i haven't lost you? would this assumption be correct?

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album70/t57.sized.jpg
http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album70/t58.sized.jpg

killer
04-13-2003, 10:29 PM
killer- haven't seen those pics in here yet...

just so i get this right, i took pictures of the pcb disconnected from the housing/pot.

you have used 2 resistors in your mod, which i plan to do as well. i got 5.6k resistors this morning. however, there are three points- one to which the existing resisitor is soldred and the two remaining points to which the pot was soldered by the red wires.

i can see where you installed one resistor(the one with the long 'l' bend-top and right) to each point to which the red wires were. the other resistor is installed to the point which the existing resistor was soldered (left) and is soldered to which point?

i can't follow the other instructions as it's not clear what the center/top and bottom leads are? there are two leads on the left side corners of the pcb and one on the right side corner.

o.k., i've spent some time looking carefully at all this. i assume the center point he is refering to is the point on the pcb where the existing resisitor connects to the upper center point on the pot. so, one resistor would be soldered to this point and one of the points to which the a red wire is attached and another resistor is soldered from the same first point of the existing reisitor to the other connection point of the other red wire. i hope i haven't lost you? would this assumption be correct?

:ö: i've used your picture here to show where to solder the resistors.

arch2b
04-13-2003, 10:35 PM
killer-
can't thank you enough! thanks for putting up with my repetitive questions. just trying to avoid smoking my seed controller, i don't have any extra servo's. very cool how you used my picture too, you've left no room for doubt!

btw- is the small servo motor good for anything? it would be a shame if it wasn't. i hate to see good parts go to waste.

killer
04-13-2003, 10:47 PM
or like this..

killer
04-13-2003, 10:51 PM
killer-
can't thank you enough! thanks for putting up with my repetitive questions. just trying to avoid smoking my seed controller, i don't have any extra servo's. very cool how you used my picture too, you've left no room for doubt!

btw- is the small servo motor good for anything? it would be a shame if it wasn't. i hate to see good parts go to waste.

:ö: can use it to power your truck too, just gear it porperly. ;)

arch2b
04-13-2003, 10:57 PM
whats the difference between the two resistor setup and the 3 resistor setup?

also, the closest rs had to 5.4k was 5.6 so that is what i got. will that cause problems?

killer
04-14-2003, 01:47 AM
whats the difference between the two resistor setup and the 3 resistor setup?

:ö: ans: 3pcs. 2.2k ohm set-up is bit bulky compared with 2 resistors only, that's the only difference :), but functionality wise, they are just the same. ;)

also, the closest rs had to 5.4k was 5.6 so that is what i got. will that cause problems?

:ö: nope, 5.6k is OK ;) , you will only notice a difference on your throttle trimmer set-point(on your TX),, because if you compare the 2x 2.2k ohm resistor set-up with your 5.6k ohm resistor, your 5.6k set-up will require you set-up your trimmer more on forward or reverse (it's like finding your "0" point using your throttle trimmer, while the dial of your resistor trimmer is set-up two or three turns further to left or right [that is, if you are using a potentiometer or trimmer]

killer
04-14-2003, 02:13 AM
:ö: instead of a set-up like this:

SCB top ____2.2k____*____2.2k___
SCB center__________*__________)
SCB bottom_________*____2.2k___)

you can use this set-up with the same result:

SCBtop*_______5.4k or 5.8k_____
SCBcenter*___________________)
SCBbottom*____________2.2k___)

where in:

¤ SCB = Servo circuit board
¤ * = points where you solder your resistor
¤ 2.2k, 5.4k, 5.8k = value of your resistor to be used
¤

me and me lude
04-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by killer
:ö: can use it to power your truck too, just gear it porperly. ;)

what difference is there if you use a pager motor or a servo motor?
thanks

killer
04-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by me and me lude
what difference is there if you use a pager motor or a servo motor?
thanks

:ö: as i understand it, servo motor has more torque than the pager (7mm) motor, but gearing it (pager motor) properly would be safer for your esc.