PDA

View Full Version : Addition to the Capacitor Mod

MattM
09-03-2002, 09:23 PM
For those of you who looked at the questofrmadness website for your Capacitor mod and "thought" that you didnt have a Cripple Capacitor in your controller then you should look here:
http://www.pbase.com/bitcharg/mods
Basically it shows that there is a capacitor on the back of the circuit board (As QFM mentions) however it doesn't go between the same two points that it does as if it were on the front of the circuit board.
I just increased my range from 12 feet to over 20 feet so I'm a happy camper.
Matt

and for funny things to do with the capacitor after youve removed it look at:
http://www.pbase.com/bitcharg/wrx_vs_crippling_cap

datamonster
09-03-2002, 11:16 PM
cool. ima check my controller for the other capacitor location. But what about the other cripple capacitor that was put on the BC-G circuit board. Does that have to be removed as well as the cripple capacitor on the control for the effects happen???

retroicon
09-03-2002, 11:33 PM
sneaky sneaky.... one of my three controllers had it... I got about an extra 4 feet of range.... not amazing.. but still useful

I'm wondering what the cripple is on my other controller though... one of the controllers had no cap in either location and the range really sucks bad....

Icon

MattM
09-03-2002, 11:35 PM
i only removed the one shown in the above links inside the controller on the back of the circuit board. i have not modded anything inside the car itself so no you do not have to do both for something to happen it seems.
I have a Blue WRX BCG (and a silver one thats a lot bigger in the garage :-))
/mcm

caver01
09-05-2002, 09:05 AM
My controller board does not have the cripple cap in the obvious place, nor on the back. However, it DID have one in a new location, essentially making the same jump as the original cripple cap, only this one looks more natural, with holes through the board etc. and without the long legs I have seen in some of the images posted. This cap is oriented the same way and is definitely EXTRA when viewed against other images I have seen. One tell-tale is the fact that there is NOTHING silkscreen on the board underneath the cap to remove. The rest of the components have diagrams and part numbers on the board. I removed it and achieved only modest improvements. I need to remove the cripple on my BC-G.

MTL
09-05-2002, 09:15 PM
haha that was a funny link with the capacitator

Kingofjapan
09-05-2002, 09:41 PM
hey guys, i just picked up a new NSX and a blue skyline. the skyline's controller had the cap mentioned above. But my NSX had 2!!..yes 2 freakn' caps on the back...they are blatenly put there and i got about 3 feet more range. my skyline owns my basment floor!

laters