PDA

View Full Version : Buying info

Cyber BRat
02-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I am interested in buying one of these cars.

http://tinyrc.com/shop/product.php?pid=416

I noticed some are cheaper, is that because it comes without a motor, or controller?

Is the more expensive one complete? Like what other accessories will I need?

How are these things? Are they fast? Is there speed enhancing products? Gerneal comments complaints with this brand?

Any info is helpful. I am trying to step up from bits so any good advice is welcomed.

binaryterror
02-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Cyber BRat
[B]I am interested in buying one of these cars.

http://tinyrc.com/shop/product.php?pid=416

I noticed some are cheaper, is that because it comes without a motor, or controller?

Nope, there are 2 versions, 1 is a Spec1 and one is a Spec2. The Spec2 is newer and has better suspension and adjustable wheelbase for different bodies. Spec1 has large pronounced wheel wheels while Spec2 looks realistic. The Spec2 also seems to have a longer run time.

Is the more expensive one complete? Like what other accessories will I need?

The prices include EVERYTHING you need to run except 6 AA batteries for the charger base and a 9V for the controller.

How are these things? Are they fast? Is there speed enhancing products? Gerneal comments complaints with this brand?

They are MUCH faster than the bits. They are totally proportional and run quite fast on all surfaces including carpet. The Spec2 can hold a special 4 cell battery, and many have modded to have like 7 cells! This is the best ste up from a bit. They are easy to handle indoors in small places yet are speedy and quite durable! Also they are bigger allowing for better painting and graphics (i though you might like this reason!)

Cyber BRat
02-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Thats why I am after a bigger car for some better painting.

I just wondering why they run near the 100 mark.

Adjustable wheel base, so I can buy bodies? Or is there something like models that can be used in place?

Cyber BRat
02-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Or would it be worth my while to go to a mini z?

binaryterror
02-25-2003, 07:14 PM
I do not personally own a Mini-z, but a friend does. It is a nice car. Much bigger than the Epoch, and slightly faster stock. Here is a pic of my customized Epoch Spec1 GT-R and my Mini-X (similar in size to the Mini-z, just slightly bigger.).

http://64.178.59.162/sizecomp01.jpg
http://64.178.59.162/sizecomp02.jpg

If you choose either you cant go wrong, but the Mini-Z has tons of upgrades. www.mini-zracer.com is tinyrc's sister site about the Mini-Z.

kwikbb
02-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Excellent summary bt, i just wanted to eloborate on things a bit;

Nope, there are 2 versions, 1 is a Spec1 and one is a Spec2. The Spec2 is newer and has better suspension and adjustable wheelbase for different bodies. Spec1 has large pronounced wheel wheels while Spec2 looks realistic. The Spec2 also seems to have a longer run time.

You're totally correct in the difference between the spec1 and spec2... but the OTHER cheaper one that's $64.95 is as the description say's You asked for it - now you can get your favorite Spec 2s as just a chassis and body! Requires transmitter (such as Mini-Z Perfex) and charger.
So Cyber BRat, your presumptions are partly correct.

pmlabrier
02-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Cyber BRat
Thats why I am after a bigger car for some better painting.

Adjustable wheel base, so I can buy bodies? Or is there something like models that can be used in place?

If body modification and painting are what you are after you might want to consider the Mini-Z, Dynamite Rocket Racer or one of the other 1/24th scale cars that are avalable here.

I chose a Dynamite rocket racer because it was inexpensive and many 1/24th scale plastic model bodies fit it. Most of the larger ones do. a '69 mustang is ALSMOST to small to fit and a 1/24 scale VW bug will not fit. Most full size cars will fit with little modification.

Not to steer you away fom an Epoch though. They are great little cars and very fast. The options for bodies is just nt as great.

Paul