PDA

View Full Version : 12 Volts Pumped Thru Motor!

johnrtse
02-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm working on my multi-cell Dragster, and I'm wondering how much juice one of these motors will take.

So.... I made a motor test stand out of a KIT Racing chassis, grab a couple KIT 2.2 and 2.6 motors for cannon fodder, and my variable voltage A/C adaptor for power. The adaptor has voltages of 1.5v, 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, and 12v, all @ 300mA. Please keep in mind that my testing was ultra seat-of-the-pants, so I don't have any graphs or anything.

After breaking in the motors at 1.5v for 2 minutes each, I start to crank up the juice! I ran the motors for 10-15 seconds at each voltage setting, with a 30 second "cool-down" period between "pulls".

The results are as follows; Both 2.2 & 2.6 motors ran at all voltages up to 12v! There didn't seem to be much difference in the motor whine/pinch beween 7.5v to 12v. Torque didn't seem to differ much either at higher voltage (I had gear/axle sets connected- I checked this by lightly applying pressure to the wheel with my finger). I also monitored the heat by keeping my finger on the heat sink constantly (they all got warm at high volts, but at no time did any get too hot to the touch).

The motors all failed by the time I got to the end of 15 seconds on the 12 volt setting (They all ran in the end, but very very slowly).

But the autopsies of the dead motors were surprising. I was expecting to see burnt and fried armatures & brushes, but instead found that the motors didn't suffer ELECTRICAL failure; they ALL suffered ENDBELL failure. That is, the holes in the endbells for the armature shafts were all melted and went oblong from the heat of the spinning armature shafts. The armatures and brushes/wipers all looked ok. Obviously a bushing or bearing would remedy this type of failure.

In conclusion, these motors will run, for short periods of time, at higher voltages. They could be used as-is for short-burst Drag Racing, or for even longer periods if the endbell had a bushing or bearing installed.

I hope you find this interesting. This means that with a transistor mod (to limit the voltage that goes to the PCB), we CAN send as much as 12 volts to these tiny motors!!!

John

Project RC
02-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Did you run the 12volts straight to the motor or did you connect the batteries to the PCB then to the motor?

johnrtse
02-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I used a KIT Racer to make my motor test stand, so I did not use a PCB in this test. Anything more than 5 or 6 volts thru a PCB can fry it.

A person using more than 5-6 volts would have to use the transistor mod to send only minimum voltage to the board, while sending max volts to the motor.

John

Namuna
02-08-2003, 10:49 PM
VERY interesting results johnrtse!

Moving on over...

~SnakeBitRacer~
02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
There are slot-car bearings you can use. Heard there expensive but damn I think their small enough.

johnrtse
02-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Come to think of it, I remember someone posting a link to a website that did have a motor with BEARINGS! It was only rated a 1.0 (10,000 rpm) motor, though.

But with 12 volts pumped thru it...... :D

Here it is!

http://smoovy.com/en/mps/brushless_systems/blbs5001r0.htm

John

mattsx2005
02-09-2003, 10:12 AM
i uh pumped 330V @150mA though a motor while it was still attached to the car and blew one of those lil black chip thingies on the board and made a big spark:D

johnrtse
02-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Step...away...from...the...car!!!!

Where did you get that kind of power supply? (330V)

mattsx2005
02-09-2003, 10:33 AM
from a camerra flash thingie ok and it is 150mA so it doesn't have that much current

mattsx2005
02-09-2003, 10:36 AM
i mean it had enough current to blow the chip but i mean i've zapped myself with it plenty of times

johnrtse
02-09-2003, 11:08 AM
:)

Oh, And in case you were wondering what the point of all this is.

My Dragster/Pro Stock project:

http://home.mn.rr.com/johnrtse/RCmicrocars/Dragster1.jpg

Here is a link to the transistor mod site- which this car will also be getting:

http://wdiaz03.tripod.com/minidragster.html

mattsx2005
02-09-2003, 11:12 AM
wat is the bit char-g website

ph2t
02-09-2003, 08:56 PM
holy S@#& !

Dude, I noticed in you pic that you have soldered several batteries together. Just be carefull! The rechargables do not like high temperatures at all so I would be very carefull in how much time you spend in soldering the wire to the battery terminal.

You don't wan't the thing to explode and cause some serious injury.

What I do is slightly file/sand back the battery contact and pre-tin a tiny bit of solder to the terminal. I then pre-tin the wire and then re-solder the two together. After that, straight into the freezer the battery goes!

be carefull!

ph2t.

Nathan
02-09-2003, 11:29 PM
You could just use a 9-volt battery and the transistors. Or better yet, two motors w/ two or three bats apiece, and one for the PCB. Imagine the possibilities...:p

skater252000
02-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by mattsx2005
i mean it had enough current to blow the chip but i mean i've zapped myself with it plenty of times
Dude thos flash batteries are so ****in strong. They made my whole body shake when I got shocked from em. Was it that bad for you?

mattsx2005
02-10-2003, 02:52 PM
they do hurt don't they thats cause u juz got shocked by 330Volts obvioustly it will hurt:p

dustn
02-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Its a capacitor you guys.... Check out what my friend made with a disposable camera circuit!

mattsx2005
02-10-2003, 05:21 PM
repost the pic it didn't load

Project RC
02-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by johnrtse
:)

Oh, And in case you were wondering what the point of all this is.

My Dragster/Pro Stock project:

http://home.mn.rr.com/johnrtse/RCmicrocars/Dragster1.jpg

Here is a link to the transistor mod site- which this car will also be getting:

http://wdiaz03.tripod.com/minidragster.html

NICE! How do yo plan to put the chassis back together? I want to lengthen my chassis but don't know how to align it when putting it back together. :confused: I don't want my chassis to be screw up. Please take some piture when you glue it back, and post some pics.

johnrtse
02-14-2003, 07:41 PM
I'll keep you posted.

A co-worker is going to grab me some thin carbon fiber & fiberglas sheets next week (from an un-related project he is doing).

Hopefully I can have the chassis back in one piece by March 1...

John

strakka
02-15-2003, 05:09 PM
sorry if this is a stupid question but i heard from somewhere on this board that you cant have more than 5volts on your car is this true?? or is that for the controllers??

jpaustin
02-15-2003, 09:42 PM
It may have been from my post where I ran into problem with putting six batteries on my zipzap. But the pcb in my zipzap came from a bitchar clone called a fitracer. Its just shut off after when I put 7.2 volts to it. I don't know the voltage limits for the zipzap.

From my understanding the zipzap pcb does not put run as much voltage to the motor which is why some of the higher rpm motors like 3.0 and up don't really work well unless you do a dual battery mod.

The way to by work around this is to use do a transistor mod which will run voltage straight through to the motor. But you will still need to power the pcb on its own.

You also will need to charge the batteries on the car through two connectors and two chargers. One for the pcb battery and the other for motor batteries.

Does anyone have a good method to do this?

wild03
02-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by johnrtse
Well, I'm working on my multi-cell Dragster, and I'm wondering how much juice one of these motors will take.

So.... I made a motor test stand out of a KIT Racing chassis, grab a couple KIT 2.2 and 2.6 motors for cannon fodder, and my variable voltage A/C adaptor for power. The adaptor has voltages of 1.5v, 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, and 12v, all @ 300mA. Please keep in mind that my testing was ultra seat-of-the-pants, so I don't have any graphs or anything.

John

TWO words F$#@% insane! :D just how I like it!

I can't help to feel sorry for your poor sacrificial motors! :(
I wonder how good are those small 12v batteries you find on car alarm remotes, or garage door openers, You'll be able to shed some weight off. too bad they are not rechargeable

Good work keep us posted on your progress, I can't wait for your numbers at the track! ;)

johnrtse
02-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Will do wild03!

Not much is happening lately. My source for the carbon fiber chassis material said that it might be a week or two before I get any :(

But...... My brother is sending me a piece of .020" TITANIUM instead :D !

I will get this thing going if it doesn't drive me insane first.

John

BabyKiller
05-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Come to think of it, I remember someone posting a link to a website that did have a motor with BEARINGS! It was only rated a 1.0 (10,000 rpm) motor, though.

wow i posted that so long ago i remember thinking that was 100,000 rpm but it was only 10,000 i also linked a few ather pages in that post too

BabyKiller
05-11-2003, 02:09 PM
oh and i would just run a 9v to a stock car motor <.< >.> :)
r-spec->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
stock car motor->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>