PDA

View Full Version : Columbia

Racer9
02-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Space shuttle Columbia apparently disintegrated in
flames over Texas on Saturday minutes before it was to
land in Florida. TV video showed what appeared to be
falling debris, as NASA declared an emergency and
warned residents to beware of falling objects.

Six Americans and Israel's first astronaut were on board.

In north Texas, people reported hearing "a big bang" at
about 9 a.m., the same time all radio and data
communication with the shuttle was lost.

Television stations showed what appeared to be flaming
debris falling through the sky, and NASA warned Texas
residents to beware of any falling objects. NASA also
announced that search and rescue teams were being mobilized in the Dallas and
Fort Worth areas.

Inside Mission Control, flight controllers hovered in front of their computers, staring at
the screens. The wives, husbands and children of the astronauts who had been
waiting at the landing strip were gathered together by NASA and taken to secluded
place.

"A contingency for the space shuttle has been declared," Mission Control repeated
over and over as no word or any data came from Columbia.

In 42 years of U.S. human space flight, there had never been an accident during the
descent to Earth or landing. On Jan. 28, 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded
shortly after liftoff.

On Jan. 16, shortly after Columbia lifted off, a piece of insulating foam on its external
fuel tank came off and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. Leroy
Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, assured reporters Friday that
engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and
posed no safety hazard.

Columbia had been aiming for a landing at 9:16 a.m. Saturday.

It was at an altitude of 207,000 feet over north-central Texas at a 9 a.m., traveling at
12,500 mph when Mission Control lost contact and tracking data.

Gary Hunziker in Plano said he saw the shuttle flying overhead. "I could see two bright
objects flying off each side of it," he told The Associated Press. "I just assumed they
were chase jets."

"I was getting ready to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the
house," Ferolito told The AP. "I thought it was a sonic boom."

Security had been tight for the 16-day scientific research mission because of the
presence of Ilan Ramon, the first Israeli astronaut.

Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man
from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security,
not only for Columbia's launch, but also for its planned landing. Space agency
officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's office said it had no immediate comment.

Columbia's crew had completed 80-plus scientific research experiments during their
time in orbit.

Just in the last week, NASA observed the anniversary of its only two other space
tragedies, the Challenger explosion, which killed all seven astronauts on board, and
Apollo space craft fire that killed three on Jan. 27, 1967. This Sucks! :eek: :(

kwikbb
02-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Agreed :(

slotsurfer
02-01-2003, 12:05 PM
a sad sad day